The History of Free Transfers in NYC

BrooklynBus

Interesting article. I don't necessarily quite agree with some of it, but it was a nice read.

I just want to point out that it's not only the outerboroughs that have difficulties with additional fares. A trip from Yorkville to the World Financial center would require the use of 2 fares if you don't want any extra walking: crosstown bus -> (4)(5)(6) train -> M22. Yes, you could do it on one fare by taking the M31 to the M20, but in all seriousness it would probably be faster walking.

I just want to point out that it's not only the outerboroughs that have difficulties with additional fares. A trip from Yorkville to the World Financial center would require the use of 2 fares if you don't want any extra walking: crosstown bus -> (4)(5)(6) train -> M22. Yes, you could do it on one fare by taking the M31 to the M20, but in all seriousness it would probably be faster walking.

I thought I hinted that the problem also existed in Manhattan by saying you were encouraged to use mass transit for the longer part of the journey and walk for the shorter part which woud usually be the crosstown part.

Cool article, I thought they used paper transfers. Thanks.

They did use paper transfers. Does the article say otherwise?

Interesting article. I don't necessarily quite agree with some of it, but it was a nice read.

or take the (4)(5) to Fulton transfer to the (A)(C) to Chambers or the (2)(3) to Park Pl will get you pretty close. But I get your point, which is why I think there should be a Transfer built between the Bowling Green (4)(5) and South Ferry/Whitehall (1)(R)

or take the (4)(5) to Fulton transfer to the (A)(C) to Chambers or the (2)(3) to Park Pl will get you pretty close. But I get your point, which is why I think there should be a Transfer built between the Bowling Green (4)(5) and South Ferry/Whitehall (1)(R)

There used to be the shuttle to transfer but it was not worth it. I can sorta agree with you but you are better off with Union Square or Atlantic for the (R) .

Yeah, what are the 3-legged xfers that currently exist in the system ?

That I know of...ripped this off another thread about 3 legged transfers...

That I know of...

-The B6 (has to be the second bus)

-Between SBS and local counterpart (plus 3rd bus)

-Any route on SI south of the SIRT, then the train itself, then any Lower Manhattan bus or train station below Chambers St

-Any bus on SI, then any S5x route, then 3rd transfer

Interesting article. Had no idea that the three legged transfer between the B11, B6, B46 even exist due to the old B11 route pattern during the 1980s.

I'd love to replace all transfer privileges with a fixed-time pass. Just dip or swipe once and you have your run of the entire base system (subway, local bus) for a defined amount of time, e.g. three hours. Yes, even round-trips would be included. Such a thing should be much easier to program than a huge from-route-to-route matrix that fails when a bus operator uses an incorrect destination sign.

Archived