Career change into MTA: It is a good idea?

realizm

Thanks mods in getting this in the right subforums. I was unsure on where to post the new thread. Had a typo on the title so I deleted the other one.

I always wanted to be a train operator, or maybe a track worker when I was young. Of course things change, so I ended up a Comptia+ Network A+ and Windows 7/Server 2008 Microsoft certified IT professional (MCTS/MCTiP). I may take a paycut but that's just the way it goes when complementing a career change.

I understand Transit is a different animal, transit employees don't exactly have it like peaches and cream working for transit as a career.

Just musing on the subject. If the pay's right I may just do it. I may even take the civil service exam. It may look good with my resume.

With IT positions, it's kind of hard getting in the door, if I wanted to work as a Network Administrator. And for the batchelors, I was thinking of changing my major from Nursing to computer science. I have a couple of people who recently won internships from the MTA for IT positions through an IT recruiter for an outside firm.

Any thoughts on the subject?

•  

I came from a pretty extensive IT background. Unfortunately, that industry isn't what it was 15 years ago, and we never had any kind of union like most other trades do, so we were often the first ones to get our titles pushed back into freelance or consulting positions. This is the primary reason I made the career change. I may make less per hour as conductor, but the benefits more than make up for that - guaranteed 40+ hours a week of pay, lots of growth, health insurance, a 401K & pension, no more 1099's, and job security for life! Sure, you have to put up with A LOT more chit here, but it really is worth it, and having a particular interest in transit definitiely helps things too! All the time I'm being told to apply for an IT position at the MTA, that since they promote from within I already have my foot in the door there, but nope....I like RTO and I'm not going back!

Good thing you brought out the point that IT jobs are outsourced. Currently I survive as a freelancer taking in contracts with many government agencies and private firms. The IT industry is seriously booming in New York as an exception to the bad state of the job market. The catch to this is that they don't offer benefits in many cases. Maybe I should join the Freelancer's Union.

You might not be as 'outdated' as you think. You can get ways to find yourself up to date on technology advancements but if you find great satisfaction overall working as a RTO then yeah definitely that's where you need to be, with the MTA.

I'm very happy in what I do for a living. And the potential to increase your salary to six digits without the need to go to school is high. Forget it if a tech has a computer science degree. But working as a T/O or as a conductor looks like more of a job that will keep one occupied, doing things. It also looks more secure a job. Office jobs in IT can be boring sometimes, and I'm looking for a challenge. I think being in the MTA could satisfy that need for a challenge.

One deterrent from actually going for it is because I know those entrance exams can be intimidating. Not a easy exam.

I would personally stick in the IT/Comptuer Programming field, but I happen to prefer an office environment with consistent hours, instead of the round the clock scheduling that the Subway does. Remember when you start at the Subway youre going to get the crappiest schedulues because of the seniority rules, so be prepared to be working the (2) or the (A) in the middle of the night for example.

Please, the C/R entrance exam was one of the easiest tests I've ever taken. Try taking a Cisco certification exam......

And for the record, I've been here for over a year and have only worked midnight jobs TWO DAYS (on the 3 and 7). You work with the crew office, and they will work with you too.

Realizm and everyone else on the boards confession. I am too looking at a carrer change. As most of you know the past 5 years i been working as a teacher asst. at a local school district in the Poughkeepsie area. Last summer i was only a couple of credits short of getting cerfited as a high school social studies teacher. I got laid off 1st time in summer of 2011. Then i picked work for the recent 2011-'12 school year in same teacher asst. post.

Now i got laid off again i been spending summer with internship at United Way working in their communcations/public relations department. It been great working with them but sadly they have no paid jobs right now.

I think I am done for now in teaching field. About to turn 40 years of age this Sept. and need a secure job. Still have dreams of a media type job but that always online writing sites for that. :lol:

Long story short, I am thinking of accepting thru a local job agency (on waiting list) for "Checker" position with Metro North. It's entry level but it's $15 a hour to start and gurantee work for at least couple of months. My job is simply go on all (3) Metro North lines and conduct a passenger surveys. My persoanlity is not suited for a NYC subway conductor or bus driver ( I got Asepeger's/slight form of Autism)but i would love a job as a Metro North or LIRR Conductor.

Or preferably a similar job to my brother who until he recently left was a shift supervior for Metro North call center. No, i know it's hard lol to get that job, I meant a job say as a call center rep or in ()' /> media department. Just wanted your guys advice on my situation.

I too was working in IT before coming over to the TA I was a systems analyst for the department of surgery at an HHC facility here in NYC. I was making decent money but as a kid my heart was with transit whether it had been as a B/O, C/R or T/O. Lucky for me the B/O, T/O and C/R exams came out right after graduating HS so I took whichever called me first and the best part is that I'm making some really good money doing something I love.

Shortline don't let what you think of your personality get in the way of doing something you have always wanted to do. I'm not so much a people person but when I get behind the wheel of that D60 I am in my own world and nobody is able to bring me down. Regarding LIRR/MNRR I hear it is very tough to get in. I believe the best and first step you should take is trying to come in as a CAM (Car Appearance Maintainer) or ticket booth clerk that way you have your foot in the door and can maneuver your way up to Conductor.

Thanks mods in getting this in the right subforums. I was unsure on where to post the new thread. Had a typo on the title so I deleted the other one.

I always wanted to be a train operator, or maybe a track worker when I was young. Of course things change, so I ended up a Comptia+ Network A+ and Windows 7/Server 2008 Microsoft certified IT professional (MCTS/MCTiP). I may take a paycut but that's just the way it goes when complementing a career change.

I understand Transit is a different animal, transit employees don't exactly have it like peaches and cream working for transit as a career.

Just musing on the subject. If the pay's right I may just do it. I may even take the civil service exam. It may look good with my resume.

With IT positions, it's kind of hard getting in the door, if I wanted to work as a Network Administrator. And for the batchelors, I was thinking of changing my major from Nursing to computer science. I have a couple of people who recently won internships from the MTA for IT positions through an IT recruiter for an outside firm.

Any thoughts on the subject?

•  

I say go for it! You just missed the track worker examination filing period but come September 5th you will be able to file for the SIRTOA Conductor exam.

http://mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

I thought I was the only one all smug and meh about IT. What I know is that however, the point is to build up your certifications and get in the door. Once you get in, network, and find out what the hot positions are. also another truth, interviewing is a skill. If you can crack the science of interviewing and resumes you will get a job. Internships can help. I just got lucky, but believe me I put alot of work and sacrifice into where I would like to be today. In fact yeah a promotion is in the works. The key here is the Civil Service exam. That way with my experience I can talk my way out of the bachelor's degree requirement and get the job

Combining tech skills with a NY license to teach as well as teaching certifications through CompTIA, Microsoft or Cisco as some have mentioned can get you far, Shortline. Ditto on what youngblaze said. Can't add to that.

But one thing is for sure -- you MTA guys got it made, you must have the best perks out of any local city agency I can imagine. With a solid retirement package. Yeah with every job shares it's bullshit, but it seems the benefits are greatly outweighing the odds unlike IT which is literally a dog eat dog industry.

I like my job I really do. But one day I will be married to a good woman with kids. So at this point I need a better job then I currently have which is secure with benefits. So that's why I'm making this sincere inquiry. Besides I guess I'm furfilling childhood hopes if I go for this? lol.

Please, the C/R entrance exam was one of the easiest tests I've ever taken. Try taking a Cisco certification exam......

And for the record, I've been here for over a year and have only worked midnight jobs TWO DAYS (on the 3 and 7). You work with the crew office, and they will work with you too.

Wow the supervisors are really cutting back on hours. I'm having the same problem but the business will pick up next month. Plan is to rape the OT for some huge checks.

Yes that CISCO certification is scary. I'll attempt it as the need arises in my company for it.

You're kidding me, the conductor's exam is that easy? No way....

I say go for it! You just missed the track worker examination filing period but come September 5th you will be able to file for the SIRTOA Conductor exam.

http://mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

I should right? I'm definitely going to muse on this

Long story short, I am thinking of accepting thru a local job agency (on waiting list) for "Checker" position with Metro North. It's entry level but it's $15 a hour to start and gurantee work for at least couple of months. My job is simply go on all (3) Metro North lines and conduct a passenger surveys. My persoanlity is not suited for a NYC subway conductor or bus driver ( I got Asepeger's/slight form of Autism)but i would love a job as a Metro North or LIRR Conductor.

There may be temp agencies that have relationships with the MTA. That would be the foot in the door and the pay is surprisingly good. I can fish for info and find out.

As much as I don't like you, I'll put my 2 cents.

If you love doing IT work, stay in the field. Unless you truly love the MTA area, then commit to the change. As much as I like the transportation scene, my mind is more set into the IT field already. Like you said, the IT field is mainly outsourced now, but if you have the experience, something will come up. I was recently outsourced from Verizon and about to snag a position in National Grid, we'll see how that goes.

Also if you are still in school, MTA does hire internships depending on your GPA and major of course. I believe it has to be when you are taking your Bachelor's. While I was taking Computer Network Technology in A.A.S., I don't think I saw an opening for MTA.

Again, my 2 cents.

.Anyway, so yeah, I already are making moves in the IT field as it is. However job satisfaction is the most important factor in any field in a career change. The MTA may be it.Unless I become doctor or just a RN. major money in it, with benefits. But I cannot afford the tuition costs.

Yes that CISCO certification is scary. I'll attempt it as the need arises in my company for it.

It doesnt seem THAT bad, maybe the higher ones above CCNA. Im 3/4th the way through the classes for the CCNA, and I got in the B+/A- range on the first 3. I have the 4th one this semester. You said you did the A+/Microsoft certifications, how were they?

Also as for the IT field, some things may be outsourced but there's still a need for competent networking and programmers here in the USA, since people overseas can't do everything there.

The CompTIA A+ and the CompTIA Network + was alright, nowhere as hard as I've expected. Lots of data mining involved, which I am not good at. The MCTS and MCtiP, which tests people on Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate and Windows Server deployment, troubleshooting and optimization was a killer. Must understand concepts and get as much hands on as possible. Very very hard. I had to take the MCTiP test twice and got it on the second. But that's probably because I've obtained those certs on my own, using video's, practical experience and online practice tests.

I was thinking about getting quick certifications on Office 2012 applications from Microsoft. Just to say on the resume I have it. It would be useful for my profession so I can win the hearts of the female administrative assistants.

Most immediate goal is to get my CompTIA Security+. I'll have to give myself some time. I know how to write viruses but can use some work on javascript. I can try to get two desktops as cheaply made as possible with the cheapest possible parts - just to get it to run on Windows 7 or Server create a peer to peer, then try to mimic attacks, as my hands on, to get the exam. This could help somewhat with the Novell CCNA if I can get my hands on a router and/or switch that nobody needs. And then voila, I have my at home lab.

I have two laptops right now one is a Toshiba Protege Core i3 another a Dell Inspiron i5. Both brand new. And I'm not touching it. No way. So I'd rather build two desktops for this project.

If anyone is interested I strongly recommended this website: http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-701/professor-messers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course/

And this: http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/free-microsoft-70-680-training/

Good to install a virtual machine to practice so you don't crash your host system. It should work on Mac OS Lion too: https://www.virtualbox.org/

Some people use dumps to pass exams. Maybe a person can get by passing the A+ with them but it just wont cut it memorizing illegal content and expect to pass the Microsoft 700-680 or the 70-685. becaue this test forces you to think using practical knowledge. Learned that the hard way.

Also as for the IT field, some things may be outsourced but there's still a need for competent networking and programmers here in the USA, since people overseas can't do everything there.

The word is that New York City is becoming the new silicon valley. Jobs for IT is everywhere. It's toe to toe on demand for such professionals as much as Nurses.

How is the CCNA? What materials do I need to study for it, say if I decide to do this without school since I am in the server rooms alot anyway?

If you can read English, do basic math, read a subway map, and have some common sense, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to pass the C/R exam

I should just take it then. I wouldn't mind getting a job there in IT if not as a C/R or a T/O. I think that's what I'll do. I'll keep my eyes on the lookout for new exam postings.

Edit: Oh wait, to get into IT in the MTA a bachelor's degree is needed..... Well I do miss college alot. Maybe I should consider it.

Got a little long winded with the posts. Sorry.

Maybe your it will help you with some up coming exams....best of luck!!

[/url]MTA NYC Transit, MaBSTOA,

Staten Island Railway & Bridges & Tunnels

2012 Examination Schedule

EEO Policy

Carefully read the Notice of Examination before filing for any exam. The top right corner of the Notice of Examination indicates the required application forms.

Skilled Trades Positions

Employment News - August 2012

ATTENTION EXAM NO. 2301 BUS OPERATOR APPLICANTS

Proposed Answer Keys

Final Answer Keys

TITLE

EXAM FILING DATES MaBSTOA Line Supervisor (Surface)

Apply now using the MTA BSC Employee Portal at http://www.mtabsc.info

Supervisory Exam Reference Booklet (this guide is applicable to the Promotion to Line

Supervisor (Surface) and the Promotion to Maintenance Supervisor (Surface) exams.)

August 8 - 28, 2012 Promotion to MaBSTOA Dispatcher

Apply now using the employeeMTA BSC Employee Portal at http://www.mtabsc.info

August 8 - 28, 2012 Promotion to Maintenance Supervisor (Track)

September 5 - 25, 2012 Promotion to Supervisor (Stations)

September 5 - 25, 2012 Promotion to Tower Operator

September 5 - 25, 2012 Promotion to Track Worker

September 5 - 25, 2012 Staten Island Railway Conductor

September 5 - 25, 2012 Promotion to Car Maintainer - Group B

October 3 - 23, 2012 Revenue Equipment Maintainer

October 3 - 23, 2012 Staten Island Railway Signal Helper

October 3 - 23, 2012 Car Inspector

November 7 - 27, 2012 Car Maintainer - Group B

November 7 - 27, 2012 Staten Island Railway Power Maintainer

November 7 - 27, 2012 Promotion to Maintenance Supervisor (Signals)

December 5 - 26, 2012 Promotion to Car Inspector

December 5 - 26, 2012 Promotion to Light Maintainer

December 5 - 26, 2012 Staten Island Railway Electrical Maintainer

December 5 - 26, 2012

Archived