NJ Transit introduces new tool to catch counterfeit tickets

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-93380300-1344963572_thumb.jpg[/float] As computer printers and scanners have gotten cheaper and more sophisticated, it’s gotten easier to make sophisticated presentations, fancy invitations and – for those with larceny in their hearts – counterfeit tickets and other documents.

NJ Transit rolled out simple, but apparently effective, new weapons last month to stop people who were either making fake passes for NJT trains, buses and light rail lines or buying them from professional counterfeiters.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-93380300-1344963572_thumb.jpg

Yeah, there was a transit cop on a NJT bus I boarded a week ago at Newark-Penn that were scanning ppl's passes w/ a device that emitted a greenish colored light from it.... Some of the passengers were nervous, some were perturbed, some were annoyed......

wow, counterfeit passes... I mean damn.....

Yeah, there was a transit cop on a NJT bus I boarded a week ago at Newark-Penn that were scanning ppl's passes w/ a device that emitted a greenish colored light from it.... Some of the passengers were nervous, some were perturbed, some were annoyed......

wow, counterfeit passes... I mean damn.....

LOL... Yep those hand held devices are precisely to check that the tickets aren't counterfeits. They spent I forget how much on this program, but they believe that the monies that they were losing annually (something like in the millions I believe) is well worth the investment in the long run and they plan on having different types of tickets each month (i.e. different theme/color), this way they can't be replicated so easily. :lol:

.....and they plan on having different types of tickets each month (i.e. different theme/color), this way they can't be replicated so easily. :lol:

.....reminiscent of the old bus passes we had back in the day.

Anyway, I heard that NJT was losing money something ridiculous, but I never knew of (or heard any stories prior, regarding) riders using fake ass passes..... Then again, I don't ride out there with any regularity; bus or train...........

.....reminiscent of the old bus passes we had back in the day.

Anyway, I heard that NJT was losing money something ridiculous, but I never knew of (or heard any stories prior, regarding) riders using fake ass passes..... Then again, I don't ride out there with any regularity; bus or train...........

I hadn't either... It was news to me... I wonder if MetroNorth or LIRR has this sort of problem...

I am glad this tool is in effect. Those kinds of counterfeit make me mad. Spotting them is hard to find counterfeit. They should make those tickets like it was a $50 bills got inside their money. Now we all understand why no store like to make change higher then $20 for this reason.

To go off topic that is kind of similar in way. I buy ticket at reduced fares. Only one conductor ask me to show my ID ever since i got it. All other conductors never bother asking me for the ID. I always have them in case and it amazing they never pay attention to the 1/2 on there and question me for the ID. I could done that long ago and still wont get caught.

Archived