Where should I live for B division?

LexAveExp5

SOOOO...it finally looks like this train operator list 8098 is into the open competitive phase. after reading all the Q&As here, it seems that i probably won't get a choice for which division to work. i live in the north bronx, so if i get the A division i should be ok despite the erratic and long hours on the extra extra board. however, if i get stuck with the B division, where should i go so that it won't be too much of a headache to get to all the different terminals? i cant really afford downtown brooklyn or anything on the (G) line. would i have to bite the bullet and get roommates in manhattan? or could i get a nice cheap apartment in jamaica estates and hope for a lot of runs out of Jamaica (E)(J)(Z)(F) and Forest Hills (R)(M)?

PS- i dont know how to fight so don't suggest Broadway Junction :D

The B Div you can report anywhere from Bedford Pk Bx, 179 Jamaica or Far Rock. However the B Div is better then the A Div crew office. The B Div looks are where you live so you would get Uptown and Queens jobs mostly. However they will throw you a curve like a Coney Island report a few times. The A Div mostly has jobs uptown but they like to change up the tours and RDO's and give you a New Lots Ave report a few times.

A-Div's C/R crew office actually did a pretty good job at keeping me close to home (once in a while I would get an odd job that required a hike to get to), except for my very last month as XX where they sent me to Pelham about 15 times in a row. I hear that the A-Div T/O Crew Office is pure evil though.......

I was a A Div C/R then when I got Promoted to T/O I was forced to the B Div. I lived in the Pocono's so I feared the worst, It wasn't bad at all I spend most of my RX days at 207 / 168 and Bedford Pk. The B div grew on me and when I got time I would keep changing divisions every other pick going B to A then A TO B. Now as a TSS I'm back home in the A Div. I live near around Phila to I take the train to Penn Station so I don't care where I work now.

• 2 weeks later...

You could, but when you're on the "extra-extra" list, you report where they tell you to. They can send you to Coney Island, but they can also send you to Bedford Park or 207th Street. Likewise, someone in the Bronx can end up reporting in Coney Island or Far Rockaway (search "screw office" here and see the stories.)

IINM there's not as much turnover for train operator as opposed to conductor, so you might be waiting a while to pick your own jobs.

From what I see, the A div. crew office does a good job of keeping people close to home. The C/Rs I know who live in Long Island are on the (7) basically every single day. However, the C/Rs who live in Brooklyn don't have it as good because they will send someone who lives near New Lots all the way up to 241 and Dyre regularly. I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that there are far fewer jobs in the A div. that start in Brooklyn so they have no choice but to send them all the way up to the Bronx.

And lets not forget the way the screw office would famously give me a 1249 job on my Monday, and then a 2100 job on my Friday.......and then during the middle of the week would assign me jobs that just barely passed the 12 hour minimum. And yet they have the nerve to post posters in the crew room asking what causes fatigue on the job?

From what I see, the A div. crew office does a good job of keeping people close to home. The C/Rs I know who live in Long Island are on the (7) basically every single day. However, the C/Rs who live in Brooklyn don't have it as good because they will send someone who lives near New Lots all the way up to 241 and Dyre regularly. I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that there are far fewer jobs in the A div. that start in Brooklyn so they have no choice but to send them all the way up to the Bronx.

I live in the heart of A division land, so if and when they call me over for C/R, hopefully it's for an A division class. Maybe I'll see the (4) everyday... (wishful thinking)

CI yard has it's own cafeteria. I don't know the hours.

Oh, and even if you get the A div. you can still get a job at CI yard doing brake tests. Those are regular jobs they give out. So don't think the A div. will save youf rom having to go to CI.

Archived