6 To Co Op City..

Juelz4309

Btw, why isn't the (5) called for? The (5) goes right into Eastchester via the Dyre Avenue line. It could be extended from there right into Co-Op City. It could even go via the former NYW&B Kingsbridge Road station creating a new stop at the still intact station building: Kingsbridge Road-Rombouts Avenue. But even without making that turn the (5) could go straight into Co-Op City.

I'd say because extending the (5) from Dyre Ave would be very roundabout and wouldn't necessarily save time over current options compared to an extension of the (D) or (6). Even if you created a "branch" line from Gun Hill Rd or Baychester Ave for a "straighter" shot, it wouldn't create as much utility (this is because the (5) is already split into branches and service via Dyre is infrequent).

• 1 month later...

I personally do not think any subway extension to Co-op City is fathomable whether it is above ground or underground, Co-op City's buildings range from 24 to 33 floors high, in Manhattan, buildings reach up to their hundreds any tall structure would call for an underground subway, so a (6) extension to Co-op won't happen, and a (D) extension underground would mean that the TBMs would have to dig pretty deep to reach the bedrock underneath Co-op City, and unless that station is wheelchair accessible, that can't happen, considering Co-op City's foundation sinks several millimeters a year, it would be crushed sooner or later, so that can't be afforded, it is better that Co-op City stays with bus service, because, it has, probably the most services in the Bronx, especially since 2009, with the addition of the Bx38, I first thought an extension of the (T) (Second Avenue Subway line) may be well but because of what I said earlier about elevated and subterranean plans wouldn't happen, that can be thrown out of the equation, and either way the (5) is the closest train to Co-op City just across the bridge by Turman High School, so Co-op City has MORE than convenience in its hands, besides, we really don't want to upset the previous residents of Co-op City.

All this talk about marshland is annoying me. Why can't they build a tunnel in it? Build it low enough to hit bedrock and let it sit there. It's not that hard to make a tunnel waterproof, they just have to do it right. Look at London's Tube! They have incredibly deep stations clearly below the water table and they've lasted 150 years.

I think an el would be a bad idea up in the North Bronx because of the density of the place, not to mention there not being many streets that could fit an el comfortably. I'd much rather stick a TBM in the ground under Gun Hill Rd and steer the concourse line to the Co-op CIty, just like I made in my fantasy map here:

http://justintokke.c...Summer 2012.pdf

And for heaven's sake, extend the (6) there too. Between the Bruckner Expy and Huchinson River Pkwy there's more than enough green space to squeeze an El in there.

It's not a fact of building under marsh/swamp land impossible, heck the (4)(5) and (R) services practically runn underneath the harbor in Lower Manhattan, it is the matter of making an exit , it is relatively hard to make exits through layers of mud and subterranean water, considering the land of Co-op City sinking will eventually crush the station and it would call for elevators there too because no one wants to have a wheelchair passenger have to go down very far to take the subway.

your arguments don't preclude the building of an above ground line. "any tall structures call for undergound subways" I'm guessing you don't know the first thing about Chicago then.

Then there is the fact a shallow bore is possible, even if the buildings are sinking, by simply avoiding them and doing the waterproofing job right the first time.

Say, if the line followed baychester ave.

it is better that Co-op City stays with bus service, because, it has, probably the most services in the Bronx, especially since 2009, with the addition of the Bx38

Addition of the Bx38? Are you just looking at a map and not the frequency? The Bx38 is just half of the Bx28's previous service, so it is not very frequent, even during rush hour. Co Op City has actually had service cut in 2010 (though some service has been restored, but not all of it).

Archived