Several Subway Lines Affected By Brooklyn Manhole Fire

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-17438300-1345034791_thumb.jpg[/float]Six subway lines were running normally Tuesday night after a manhole fire in Downtown Brooklyn disturbed their service for several hours.

The flames were under control by about 6:15 p.m. but some major service changes affected the (B)(D)(F)(N)(Q) and (R) lines.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-17438300-1345034791_thumb.jpg

I was caught up in that mess and what a mess it was. There was a serious communication breakdown along the Broadway line and in Brooklyn. A lot of confused riders.

There was chaos at Atlantic-Pacific station by the time I made it there. Riders all over the place that didn't know what was going on.

Just thankful that nobody was seriously injured.

I'm curious as to why the (F) was affected. MTA said it was to prevent a bottleneck in Manhattan, but the terminating (B)(D) should have stayed on the express tracks. Or were some B/Ds going to Brooklyn via the F?

(B) service was suspended. (D) over (F) line either at Jay Street Metrotech or West 4th Street. If the (D) Stays on the express tracks, after W4 there is no way to cross them over to the (F) line. Another reason why they sent the (D)'s over the (A) untill Jay street, to relieve conjestion along 6th ave. How do I know? I was in the mix of everything.

As far as the (N)(Q)(R) Don't know how they were affected.

(B) service was suspended. (D) over (F) line either at Jay Street Metrotech or West 4th Street. If the (D) Stays on the express tracks, after W4 there is no way to cross them over to the (F) line. Another reason why they sent the (D)'s over the (A) untill Jay street, to relieve conjestion along 6th ave. How do I know? I was in the mix of everything.

Thanks - what the site said was that the southbound B and D were both terminating at 34th. So they ran Ds via the F into Brooklyn?

I also think they ran (D)'s into queens. They also sent (C)'s to bedford park too.

I know (B)'s were turned @ Second Avenue. Don't know about 34st. But yes (D) over (F) in BK. This was an elecrtical fire started by a homeless person, but thats just what I heard

Thanks - what the site said was that the southbound B and D were both terminating at 34th. So they ran Ds via the F into Brooklyn?

The site was mta.info! I do not understand why these things cannot be posted in big red letters on the (MTA) website. I'm also wondering why the G.O on the website was so hard to understand. I had to read it 2 times. And, why can't the (MTA) have a strict plan.

Heard they turned the (N)(Q) at 57 St (Broadway Express) and the (N)(R) at Whitehall St (Broadway Local).

They had (R) trains from 95 St to 36 St (4 Av Local), 95 St to Pacific St (4 Av Local), and 36 St to 9 Av (4 Av/West End Local). It was quite a mess down there.

The (Q) was just running Prospect Park to Coney Island (Brighton Local).

The (N) was running 36 St to Coney Island (Sea Beach Local), and Pacific St to Coney Island (4 Av/Sea Beach Local).

They also had (D) 9 Av to Coney Island (West End Local), 36 St to Coney Island (4 Av Express/West End Local), and Pacific St to Coney Island (4 Av Express/West End Local)

The majority of (B)(D) turned at 34 St is what I heard, also that one (D) got sent over the (A)(F) to Coney Island.

(F) was going via Crosstown, but that got resolved pretty quickly.

I know but theres was no reason to scramble up the (R). plus it goes thru DeKalb and the (F) could of simply went along its normal route.

The (R) couldn't go from Queens to the BMT lines in Brooklyn, so an (R) coming from Queens probably went via Crosstown to avoid overloading the Manhattan terminals which already were being used by tons of trains.

Odd, Control Center radioed over IRT frequency telling us to tell people to take the (F), if not IRT, for service to Brooklyn. Considering they control the tunnel fans and which tracks get their third power cut I'd believe the (F) was running, albeit with massive delays.

I got caught in that mess also yesterday after work, though it wasn't too bad for me since I took the (D) at Herald Square going uptown. Only change I noticed was no Concourse Express service, but this was expected since I'm sure there were a limited number of (B) trains north of 34 and the Yankees were in town. Indeed, Bravos and Deltas were turning at 34 St; I could imagine how much worse it was for Broadway riders though!

My replies in teal blue:

That the MTA

a ) does not proofread its service change announcements

YES.

b ) is not able to communicate changes effectively

That's true; I think the solution should be to install PA systems in more stations.

c ) is unable to deal with emergencies quickly and efficiently.

How? What should they have done differently?

So… What have we learned from all this?

That mistakes/poorly thought out decisions made decades ago can catch up and it will get messy.

Meaning that putting 5 routes (more in the past, keeping Culver in mind)

in one trunk, isn't just more prone to delays, but when it is inaccessible it will screw commute for way more than if it only happened on one/two route trunk.

Imagine if Montague was connected to 4th ave not at dekalb, or lets say right before Atlantic. How less stressful the whole situation could have been?

How? What should they have done differently?

They could have sent the M to Broad (and G to Hoyt) and run both B and D trains via the F to Brooklyn to provide extra service. They could have made it a priority to get trains in and out of Atlantic - figuring out where they would go after that should have waited until 36 or 59 St.

Archived