Several Subway Lines Affected By Brooklyn Manhole Fire

Harry

Piggybacking on NX's post, the B could've round-robined up the Brighton through Prospect Park or even Atlantic Av and the D through Atlantic Av. The thing is, the MTA has to be able to come up with adequate service patterns on the fly. The fact that people here on this site can hypothetically route trains better than the people actually employed by the agency is really sad.

Also, they are in desperate need of some proofreaders. Don't say something like "Brooklyn-bound N trains are running between 36 St and Coney Island" when it really means there's no service north of 36 St-4 Av. They also don't need to mention every place they're turning trains as that just confuses people more as they don't have a clue where their train is terminating. All that was needed to be said was there was limited service on the N/Q/R lines between 57 St-7 Av and Whitehall St and absolutely no service between Whitehall St and Atlantic Av. Tell riders to transfer to the Lex at 59 St/Lexington Av for alternative service. For B/D service, tell riders to transfer to the A/C trains at 59 St and the 2/5 at Fulton St.

It has been stated time and time and time again on various threads that members of the MTA read these threads.

If they are reading these threads, then the time for getting correct information to the members of the riding public is long past and this problem should have been corrected years ago. I (and everyone else here) has stated time and time again that the persons that write the information concerning delays and reroutes do not know anything about the subway and bus system in our city. It is bad enough that these writers have no idea of what they are writing (as sometimes it is written in a form that is not understandable to those of us who were taught how to write the English language) but to disseminate it in the form that they do with the spelling mistakes is totally outrageous. Especially now since the writer has access on their terminal to something called a dictionary (yes it still exists) and spell check which (for the most part) enables the writers to correct spelling mistakes.

In a post that I wrote over two months ago on a delay (ironically involving the Manhattan Bridge), I wrote about the need for contingency plans in situations such as what just occurred. It has become quite apparent from the posts that there is no contingency plan in place when a problem such as occurred this past Tuesday at DeKalb Avenue occurs. It seems that the persons in charge do not act immediately to do everything to resolve the problem as they expect it to just disappear (which in many cases it takes a lot longer to resolve). All of us have read (or have been) involved with situations where if action would have been taken when the problem first occurred that the riding public (and the MTA workers) would have been better served.

I read all the time about the references to this politican and that politican doing this and MTA staff read these threads that on this and other forums. The time has come to stop talking and to correct the problem for the good of all of us.

They could have sent the M to Broad (and G to Hoyt) and run both B and D trains via the F to Brooklyn to provide extra service. They could have made it a priority to get trains in and out of Atlantic - figuring out where they would go after that should have waited until 36 or 59 St.

Oh crap I forgot all about the (M). So that explains why the (F) did not go though Manhattan.

Archived