Brownsville declared most dangerous neighborhood after shootings

realizm

But why would any cop with time on the job want to work in that hell hole? Even active cops (guys who are proactive and like to make good collars) avoid that place.

lol... What I don't understand is why don't they just flood the place with cops? I mean where are the "community leaders" at if you will?? I've heard of the community crying out for help but that's about it. Nothing changes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why would any cop with time on the job want to work in that hell hole? Even active cops (guys who are proactive and like to make good collars) avoid that place.

Lol exactly my point, nothing's gonna get done, these guys are fresh out of the academy, the detectives just roll around in their unmarked cars with their tinted-ass windows

lol... What I don't understand is why don't they just flood the place with cops? I mean where are the "community leaders" at if you will?? I've heard of the community crying out for help but that's about it. Nothing changes.

Remember, Brownsville is served by William Boyland, Jr. Even though he is the nephew of the late Thomas S. Boyland, the man known as Junior doesn't have a great track record as of late.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brooklyn-Assemblyman-William-Boyland-Bribery-Corruption--134692483.html

Borough Park and that Ford Five Hundred rolling around, got to love 66th Precinct.

Anyways, @MTARegional Bus, undercover's don't always drive Crown Vic's anymore. There are plenty other vehicles around that roam the streets of NY. But they are usually spotted after you know the way they drive and the appearance of their vehicles.

Plus the detectives drive the same car for undercover.

''We know you drive a cown vic lol''

You do know the difference between undercover and unmarked?

Also, most of the time it's not detectives driving around in unmarked cars, usually it's SNU or and AC unit.

lol.... only on this forum can a thread about Brownsville turn into a discussion about Riverdale...... Which are nothing alike.

Brownsville has the worst transit options in the Central Brooklyn area. You only have the (3) and late nights the (4) serving that area. I let B35 explain it further.

No need for me to..... it's not relevant.

That and the fact that they're always putting rookie cops out there

This is true....

I remember the last time I rode the (L) from manhattan to New Lots (and walked to the B35)... Between 98th & Utica, there were about 15 cops on the bus that boarded at different points of the ride - 2-3 at a time.... I don't think I was younger than any one of them, and they all acted not much different than a teenager coming home from school.... it was around the time during the NBA finals, so some of them were looking on their cellphones for updates & what not..... twas around 10pm or so....

Their presence didn't bother me, but what kinda bothered me is the look of petrification on some of the older female riders; some of em wanted no part in heading towards the back of the bus (that's where all the cops were at.... I was sitting in the 1st paired forward facing seat on the left side, once you walk up the back stairs there... there were 2 other non-cops that were already at the back, and both were older guys)...... Even though the b/o was telling ppl to step to the rear...... I tell you, those were some of the most juvenile actingest cops I've ever seen in my life.....

I could think of a few areas that were on par with them but maybe they've been taken out of the picture due to gentrification...

care to specify ?

^ Unfortunately there are some bad cops. Which put veteran cops that even go out of their way to be more proactive and sensitive to the people in the urban communities and promoting good public relations with the locals.

Not all rookies are really that bad. One time a couple of rookies did catch me with a open beer beverage. I was cool about it allowing them to do the background check and talking not taking it personally. The cops on the beat said it was cool and to put down the beer after I explained that I regret not following the rules and I was just really bugging out over a breakup with a girl and a bad day at work on top of that with my boss chewing me out a new a**hole for a screwup I unintentionally made. (When it rains it pours) They decided to let them discard giving me a ticket.

The veterans are sharp, many of them. They don't make a big deal about beer beverages in my experience. They are more concerned with calls for robbery or assault.

Another time I accidentally had a switchblade creep out of my pocket and the cop caught me. I explained that I use it to cut boxes and splice RJ-45 cables for setting up network lines. (truth, I was carrying a SCSI adapter, software and some network cables) He was cool with it, he said that he could arrest me but he won't. He said make sure it's concealed at least and don't let other police officers see it. He told me have a good day and let me go about my business. This cop must have been a veteran I can tell just by perceiving his age. He did'nt eve search me.

There was even a time I got into a fight at a bar. The cops at first handcuffed me since I punched the guy in his face but then decided to let me go despite the guy's GF telling the police officer to throw me in jail and press charges for assault when i did'nt start it. Real talk. They just told me to try and get myself in trouble and then they speed off. Good man on the cop that made that call.

Not all of them are bad, and I hate it when some of them act disrespectfully from the start putting others in the NYPD a bad rep that they don't deserve. We do have some a**holes out there and it's those that we need to be careful with.

care to specify ?

For starters Bedford Stuyvesant years ago... Now parts are becoming better... I would also think of Bushwick and parts of Harlem too. I remember going up to 147th st with my uncle when he did a M102 run and God that place was scary back in the day. Tons of burnt out buildings and you look at it now and it looks nothing like it did years ago.

Brownsville has the worst transit options in the Central Brooklyn area. You only have the (3) and late nights the (4) serving that area. I let B35 explain it further.

It does not. It has the (3) at Sutter, Saratoga, Rockaway, Junius, and Pennsylvania plus the (L) at Atlantic, Sutter, Livonia and New Lots.

Plenty of buses that serve the area as well including the B7, 8, 14, 15, 20, 35, 47, 60 and 83

VG8 I understand you hate the Bronx but you don't to be a shame of it, Riverdale is part if the bronx were do you like it your not, even if the geography is different aka upstares as you like to call it.

If the situation was different like if Riverdale and other neighborhoods with high crime rate and my neighborhood with a low crime rate I am not going to call it Morrisania NY or downstares it will always be the Bronx.

VG8 I understand you hate the Bronx but you don't to be a shame of it, Riverdale is part if the bronxs were do you like it your not, even if the geography is different aka upstares as you like to call it.

If the situation was different like if Riverdale and other neighborhoods with high crime rate and my neighborhood with a low crime rate I am not going to call it Morrisania NY or downstares it will always be the Bronx.

LOL!! Well sorry to tell you this but Riverdale residents have been doing this for many years now since the area was known as Riverdale-On-Hudson. A lot of it has to do with history. The area has always been separate and affluent. We don't even have a street grid up here which is different from the Bronx. It has more a town feel to it like a community in Westchester.

Riverdale was the place that wealthy folks came to originally to build their vacation homes to escape the filth of the city and thus while it may be considered to be part of the Bronx, it really has no relation whatsoever to the rest of the Bronx, geographically, socially, economically and not even architecturally for that matter. The first time I saw the place I said to myself this is nothing like the Bronx nor is it a part of the Bronx, so it is no coincidence that folks wouldn't consider it part of the Bronx. And no it isn't just because it is a nice area. I've been to Morris Park before which is a lovely area, but while it was quiet and I was shocked at how safe it was and all, I didn't feel like I wasn't in the Bronx.

Now being originally from Brooklyn, I can say that there is no neighborhood in Brooklyn that doesn't have the Brooklyn feel, even the ghetto ones like Brownsville. I can't say that about Riverdale. Everytime we hit Kingsbridge on the express bus or Morris Heights on MetroNorth, that's when I feel like I'm in the Bronx. Perhaps the hills have something to with that as well, as we are quite isolated up there.

Brownsville has always had a few problems over the years, but my thing is you make what you want to of a neighborhood. If you want to be terrified and scared, then do that. But you'll miss out. Yeah, there are some projects in Brownsville I wouldn't want to be walking around at 3am, but this kinda fear-driven reporting is never good. Quit with the bold headlines about how bad everything is, instead help to change it. I had a white friend of mine who lived in Brownsville with his wife in the 80s, when it was probably even worse, and he was fine out there...and a white guy in Brownsville is a little out of place too. It's just what you make of the neighborhood.

I'm not white but it's true it's what you make of it, even for whites. The right people will see your presence even the gang bangers and they generally wont mess with you unless you do something stupid to insult them. Because its understood that even the poor white man in the ghetto is just trying to make a living and live life like everyone else illegal or not, then come back home to chill, be with his girl whoever she is, drink some beers, eat good, smoke some weed whatever. The general consensus is that we're only human. This is not me trying to paint a rainbow, this is a general fact concerning New York society.

Brownsville, the 'ville". Call it what you want. I lived there in the mid-fifties and it and it's neighbor Ocean Hill were rough but nothing to fear. The oldtimers said it was rougher before the projects were built. Before the Brownsville projects were built the area around Livonia, Hopkinson, today's Betsey Head, was an area of rundown tenements controlled by a real gang, Murder, Inc. The problem is that today's thugs run around playing gangster while randomly shooting innocents, along with or instead of their intended targets. It's the randomness of these shootings that's terrorizing the residents. I wouldn't feel bad if some of these so-called gangsters were targeted for elimination by an entity operating outside of legal constraints, a Star Chamber if you will. I'm tired of seeing momma, or baby momma, tearfully holding a kindergarden picture of some deceased wannabe while another mother's toddler is in ICU because the baby was hit by a stray bullet by a knucklehead defending "his" turf. Someone should point out to these Arista candidates that unless you own a private dwelling you have no turf. People seem to forget that most projects in Brooklyn are managed by the NYCHA but owned in part by Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam and NYCHA own the turf and can tear down the buildings on said turf any time they want to and start over with new tenants. The thugs not only have no turf to claim but as far as housing is concerned they have no rights if Uncle Sam says so.That's my opinion. Carry on

Brownsville, the 'ville". Call it what you want. I lived there in the mid-fifties and it and it's neighbor Ocean Hill were rough but nothing to fear. The oldtimers said it was rougher before the projects were built. Before the Brownsville projects were built the area around Livonia, Hopkinson, today's Betsey Head, was an area of rundown tenements controlled by a real gang, Murder, Inc. The problem is that today's thugs run around playing gangster while randomly shooting innocents, along with or instead of their intended targets. It's the randomness of these shootings that's terrorizing the residents. I wouldn't feel bad if some of these so-called gangsters were targeted for elimination by an entity operating outside of legal constraints, a Star Chamber if you will. I'm tired of seeing momma, or baby momma, tearfully holding a kindergarden picture of some deceased wannabe while another mother's toddler is in ICU because the baby was hit by a stray bullet by a knucklehead defending "his" turf. Someone should point out to these Arista candidates that unless you own a private dwelling you have no turf. People seem to forget that most projects in Brooklyn are managed by the NYCHA but owned in part by Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam and NYCHA own the turf and can tear down the buildings on said turf any time they want to and start over with new tenants. The thugs not only have no turf to claim but as far as housing is concerned they have no rights if Uncle Sam says so.That's my opinion. Carry on

That Star Chamber needs to get to work.

As a resident of Brownsville for the past year, I can safely say it's not as bad as they make it out to be in the news.

Its not like you're going get robbed on every corner you walk by. It actually gets pretty quiet out here at times

I lived there for years, wasn't easy. They seriously need to clean up that neighborhood...

Now people can stop bsing that the Bronx is where its worst. I remember a report last year, Brooklyn is top for crime, while Bronx is second. Of course we are talking PORTIONS of the borough, not all.

Even with that, you will still get people saying the Bronx in general is bad LOL! Of course its bad, cuz you listen to rumors, then explore around..

LOL!! Well sorry to tell you this but Riverdale residents have been doing this for many years now since the area was known as Riverdale-On-Hudson. A lot of it has to do with history. The area has always been separate and affluent. We don't even have a street grid up here which is different from the Bronx. It has more a town feel to it like a community in Westchester.

Riverdale was the place that wealthy folks came to originally to build their vacation homes to escape the filth of the city and thus while it may be considered to be part of the Bronx, it really has no relation whatsoever to the rest of the Bronx, geographically, socially, economically and not even architecturally for that matter. The first time I saw the place I said to myself this is nothing like the Bronx nor is it a part of the Bronx, so it is no coincidence that folks wouldn't consider it part of the Bronx. And no it isn't just because it is a nice area. I've been to Morris Park before which is a lovely area, but while it was quiet and I was shocked at how safe it was and all, I didn't feel like I wasn't in the Bronx.

Now being originally from Brooklyn, I can say that there is no neighborhood in Brooklyn that doesn't have the Brooklyn feel, even the ghetto ones like Brownsville. I can't say that about Riverdale. Everytime we hit Kingsbridge on the express bus or Morris Heights on MetroNorth, that's when I feel like I'm in the Bronx. Perhaps the hills have something to with that as well, as we are quite isolated up there.

You sir, need to move to the Atlantic ocean and open up an Island and call it what ever you want. IDC if there is a King living in Riverdale, your still in the Bronx like it or not. You have Local bus routes that passes through hoody areas AND the Riverdale, even your local Express Bus service for a portion picksup/drop off those of Kingsbridge.

So all your wording, is just words, not the real deal. Of course Riverdale is pleasent, you don't have crime piling in there, unlike some parts of the Bx, but that doesn't change the fact that Riverdale is not connected to any other neighborhood.

If you were to move to Throgs Neck (which is like Riverdale partly), would you consider it, its own land? How bout no...

Now people can stop bsing that the Bronx is where its worst. I remember a report last year, Brooklyn is top for crime, while Bronx is second. Of course we are talking PORTIONS of the borough, not all.

Even with that, you will still get people saying the Bronx in general is bad LOL! Of course its bad, cuz you listen to rumors, then explore around..

You sir, need to move to the Atlantic ocean and open up an Island and call it what ever you want. IDC if there is a King living in Riverdale, your still in the Bronx like it or not. You have Local bus routes that passes through hoody areas AND the Riverdale, even your local Express Bus service for a portion picksup/drop off those of Kingsbridge.

So all your wording, is just words, not the real deal. Of course Riverdale is pleasent, you don't have crime piling in there, unlike some parts of the Bx, but that doesn't change the fact that Riverdale is not connected to any other neighborhood.

If you were to move to Throgs Neck (which is like Riverdale partly), would you consider it, its own land? How bout no...

Fresh Pond agree 100%. Does Riverdale have it's own boro President? Last time i check they have a Bronx boro President. However the high almighty VG8 will disagree and think Riverdale is in Westchester County or Midtown Manhattan.

Lets just let him think what what he wants. VG8 is acting like Riverdale is the old tv classic kids show "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" segment called the "Land of Make Believe." Where no riff raff live and it's only Mitt Romney type Millionaries lol. :lol:

Archived