42nd street shuttle fastrack good idea or not?

alekr

Since the MTA is going to expand fastrack why not they do on the 42nd street shuttle?

It seems the 42nd street shuttle needs Fastrack. This is not going to affect so many customers can start shutting down at 9:45pm since the shuttle doesn't run overnight easy alternative 7 train.

Instead of over 900 crews working can use the half of the amount of the crews. They could do:

-Fill the gap in the Times Square station

-Platform repairs

-track replacements

It not that bad idea to me.

Since the MTA is going to expand fastrack why not they do on the 42nd street shuttle?

It seems the 42nd street shuttle needs Fastrack. This is not going to affect so many customers can start shutting down at 9:45pm since the shuttle doesn't run overnight easy alternative 7 train.

Instead of over 900 crews working can use the half of the amount of the crews. They could do:

-Platform repairs

-track replacements

Its called overnight/weekend track work.

There is no need for fast track on the 42ND Street shuttle (S) because it doesn't run overnights they can easily do work on the tracks and platforms each night if they wish but once again I don't see a need for Fast track on the 42ND St (S) its useless and uncalled for.

I think they can already do Fastrack-type work during the hours when the Shuttle doesn't run. Due to its very short distance, it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish that type of work between midnight and 5:40 AM. Definitely no need to close the shuttle at 10PM for maintenance.

-Platform repairs

-track replacements

There's no point in filling the gaps as supposedly the TS end of the line was supposed to be rebuilt in the 'tunnel'. Ie: the platforms would be rebuilt to hold 5 car trains and end right before the curve. So no more gap fillers and riders of track 3 would no long have to go around track 1 to get to the mezzanine.

My take, no need for fasttrack on the times square shuttle as far as I can see it. That money can go towards Queens Bvld or something, a very high traffic line that can use some definite improvements. (Not that the maintenance workers are not doing a bad job, just so much work to be done)

Oh, how about that Sea Beach Line?

Top things I see that should get fixed is the

Sea beach (N) (Must be done)

The (J) and (Z) from Essex down to Chambers (I doubt this will happen in the near future)

Queens Blvd Line (should be done)

SEA BEACH YES!!!! now

Nassau Street needs complete rehab. It looks VERY uninviting :mellow:

Queens Bl: Not the whole line though. Id say all stations except:Woodhaven Bl,Roosevelt Av/Queens Plaza(it got renovated) Court Sq.

Queens Blvd line on all stations have at least a little something to fix I know that whether you see it or not anyways

Queens Blvd can wait a while the MTA loves neglecting the living hell out of the (J)(Z)(N) Obviously But these lines need to get fixed

-Platform repairs

-track replacements

There's a gap in the Times Square station?!

The gap there is freaking massive, and I'm pretty sure that the train isn't exactly level with the platform either on at least one of the tracks.

Oh, you mean the gap between the train and the platform? That's because of the curve. There are gap fillers. What else does alekr want?

For Queens Blvd. I suggest total Express Closure, followed by total Local Closure, for Queens Plaza to Kew Gardens ONLY (a two week ordeal instead of one) however I'd create bridge docks at Woodhaven so all trains can stop at the Express Track and the bridge docks could let passengers get off and X-Fer to another bus. Though I'd also suggest limited amounts of SuperExpress shuttle buses run ONLY on Queens Blvd. to Forest Hills, 75th Ave. and Kew Gardens respectively.

No, the 42nd Street Shuttle is fine! Fastrack is not for Crosstown routes in Manhattan.

Fastrack or not, the MTA should consider renovating the 42nd St TSQ platform of the (S) to complete the entire renovation done to the complex. The (S) platform is the only place needing some improvement. Even a better gap would do. GCT (S) Done! TSQ (S) .... hmmmm....??

Fastrack or not, the MTA should consider renovating the 42nd St TSQ platform of the (S) to complete the entire renovation done to the complex. The (S) platform is the only place needing some improvement. Even a better gap would do. GCT (S) Done! TSQ (S) .... hmmmm....??

What I would do I completely realign the tracks and platforms, and only allow the one or two furthur tracks to "curve", it is mainly due to the fact that those tracks are used to access the 7th Ave. IRT. The two closer tracks to the complex will be straight and same length (worth 5 cars), also the overall feel would be very close to the current station design, assuming that construction material and designs have changed a little.

I think if they pushed the station back further east, before the curve, it would be much better. Strait platforms that can hold 5 car trains and track 3 riders won't have to go all the way around track 1 to get to the other lines.

Track 4, I would just abandon that entirely as all 10 cars would be on tracks 1 and 3.

What I would do I completely realign the tracks and platforms, and only allow the one or two furthur tracks to "curve", it is mainly due to the fact that those tracks are used to access the 7th Ave. IRT. The two closer tracks to the complex will be straight and same length (worth 5 cars), also the overall feel would be very close to the current station design, assuming that construction material and designs have changed a little.

Or.... disconnect Track 4 from the Broadway IRT and have a new track connection to Track 3, which currently connects to Track 1 for Lex. After that, realign the whole thing to keep the line sorta of straight, instead of curving. This would allow the (MTA) to cover up access to the viewing point of the Broadway Line, which could pose security and safety risk.

I think if they pushed the station back further east, before the curve, it would be much better. Strait platforms that can hold 5 car trains and track 3 riders won't have to go all the way around track 1 to get to the other lines.

Track 4, I would just abandon that entirely as all 10 cars would be on tracks 1 and 3.

Or.... disconnect Track 4 from the Broadway IRT and have a new track connection to Track 3, which currently connects to Track 1 for Lex. After that, realign the whole thing to keep the line sorta of straight, instead of curving. This would allow the (MTA) to cover up access to the viewing point of the Broadway Line, which could pose security and safety risk.

Track 4 should be kept, overhauled and connected to the Broadway IRT, and assuming if there is no connection to Track 3, connect it to Track 3, however I'd definitely realign Track 1 & 3 straight and shift it a little bit eastward to minimalize walking distance and sustain two 5 car platforms. Track 4 being used at very limited times.

As for the viewing point of the Broadway Line, I'd create a glass wall, so people can still view and photograph, but are unable to climb into the Right-of-way, like how they could today. Security and safety both are all solved this way.

I dunno, I personally don't see the need for track 4 once tracks 1 and 3 run 5 car trains. But ideally, I would keep track 4 for a layup for an extra train or have a work train placed there.

Highly unlikely*: Or maybe they could lay up the irt museum cars there (rotate b/w the low v and the smees) parked on the GCT end (have at least some security there to make sure no one tries to tag the train).

I dunno, I personally don't see the need for track 4 once tracks 1 and 3 run 5 car trains. But ideally, I would keep track 4 for a layup for an extra train or have a work train placed there.

Well, in an emergency it would be beneficial for the (S) to access the IRT Broadway/7th Ave. Line so it still should be kept for accessibility, connectivity and convenience reasons. It's still a need, not a want for the entire IRT System in general, also considering that there can be at least a midtown track connection between the IRT Lex and IRT Bdwy. in case something very bad happens and no trains can go uptown ~or~ downtown.

Archived