Big Blue Bus moves to Gillig

compobus fan

All comes down to who bids the lowest compliant bid!

Somewhat, depending on the municipality. What I am finding interesting is that southern California was usually (with some exceptions) written off by Gillig, as NABI, or NFI territory. Now that they have a CNG offering they have begun the "we are the home town boy, so buy California" pressure. San Diego recently placed an order,then Long Beach, now BBB, I understand they are going after Orange County aggressively. I await anxiously the LACMTA bid for CNG's, to see if NABI loses their dominance, considering this will be their chance to build on the new Gen III offering that DART is taking, exciting times as East New York always says.

Somewhat, depending on the municipality. What I am finding interesting is that southern California was usually (with some exceptions) written off by Gillig, as NABI, or NFI territory. Now that they have a CNG offering they have begun the "we are the home town boy, so buy California" pressure. San Diego recently placed an order,then Long Beach, now BBB, I understand they are going after Orange County aggressively. I await anxiously the LACMTA bid for CNG's, to see if NABI loses their dominance, considering this will be their chance to build on the new Gen III offering that DART is taking, exciting times as East New York always says.

Yes, however Gillig seems to only had dealings with municipal operators, (Culver CityBus and Torrance Transit are some examples). Even in the 90's, TMC, Orion, and even Flxible were the players. In the latter half of the decade, only then would New Flyer enter the California market, as would later NABI with the now well now diesel ban.

I foresee that LBT is Gilligs current major order (did not hear about San Diego), and while I do see them getting OCTA, LACMTA is going to be a tough sell.

NO its cause since Gillig offers CNG they tend to win as they are a low cost builder.

True, in addition to that, the grants and other funds used to buy buses tend to state that the vehicle must be manufactured in the U.S. It is also apparent that Munis need to get the most out of their monies, so they would turn to a low cost builder.

Which is fine by me as Gilligs quality has slightly improved over the years.

Archived