How in the world?

YankeesPwnMets

I never even knew there was an abandoned platform at this station. As far as where it is and how to get there, I don't know, and I don't think those who do know where it is/how to get to it will tell you. What he did in the video was trespassing on TA property, so he could've gotten in trouble, I definitely hope you're not planning to go up there.

Besides all the laws, I'm in no rush to go up there because that is SCARY. It's obvious people go up there to "leave their mark" (and possibly other things), so if anyone goes up there they're likely to come face to face with someone up to no good, and people probably won't hear your cries for help from there.

The same guy also made this video of the abandoned platform at Bowery, claiming he walked along the tracks from the abandoned platform Canal Street to get to it. Now that's dangerous! By the way it seems that these platforms are located right next to the current (J)(Z) platforms, like the abandoned platform at Chambers Street is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KEgadRY0o

Months ago, like that guy, I wandered into that part of the station before it was completely locked off. No, I didn't wander off onto the tracks, I saw an open door. Scared the crap out of me when I saw nobody down there and immediately walked away.

I have no plans to go trespassing ANYWHERE... but I thought this place was completely sealed off. His description said he used the tunnel... but is that possible? Must take a lot of planning to pull off something like that. This place would scare the living daylights out of me

I'm not all worried about the trespassing issue, of course, there are urban explorers out there who have a lot of guts to do such things... Besides that, there are also homeless people who try to find homes around there. Scary in ways, but Just gotta be careful.. But other then that, man that platform has really changed ever since it was last used in service. O_O

I seriously wonder how much cash is wasted lighting these platforms.

If they must leave the lights on, at least dim it down. But looking at the video there are some offices.

I'm curious if years from now, these platforms would reopen brand new, while the current ones (when it goes bad years from now) are closed down, and then swap every 20-30 Years.

In the beginning, it looks like something that's been abandoned for decades, so it's surprising to realize that it was still open (and I frequently had to use it) less than 10 years ago.

Yeah, also surprising that something abandoned would be so brightly lit, but again, that's due to how recently it was open until. Otherwise, it would be all incandescent lighting, and REALLY spooky, then!

There was some dude who went into the City Hall Loop and some Second Avenue Subway tunnel too. But I am surprised with this.

I seriously wonder how much cash is wasted lighting these platforms.

and the lighting fixtures in that underpass are like the ones you see today in the renovated stations today.

He shouldn't be in that area!!! That area is more than spooky, it is dangerous. There are no police officers, no MTA employees, and no one is around if something happens to him.

It's possible that one can get into these stations with help and guidance of authorized access (a current or former MTA employee, for example) but there is otherwise no excuse for exploring like this.

As for the money spent on lighting these abandoned stations, now we see part of why the MTA is in so much budget trouble! :angry:

Ha, i actually remember using that platform in revenue service . It's been so long that i forgot the entrance to it.I remember taking a R42 (J) train from here to b'way junction , then hoping on a r40 (L). The R1 trip 2 years ago used this side to get to willy B for a photo op at myrtle so this station sees some trains passing by it and has an active track. There is an upcoming Late Night (J) train G.O that will make train's skip Canal and Bowery, hopefully they will use the track on this side of the station.

(J) Jamaica Center-bound trains skip Canal St and Bowery

Late Night, 11:45 PM Wed to 5 AM Thu, Aug 29 - 30

For service to these stations, take the (J) to Essex St and transfer to a Broad St-bound (J).

For service from these stations, take the (J) to Chambers St and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound (J).

Man those vids brought back old memories. I only wished I took pics of Canal when they still had that 'walkway' b/w the n/b and s/b platforms. But I'm happy that I don't have to exit on the eastern platform of the (J) at Canal, that platform was terrible. Geez, didn't take long for the scum to tag up both platforms...

As for the lighting, I wished they were that bright for the Parsons-Archer (J) platform. If there's a station that needs brighter lights, it's that one.

Archived