Campaign 2012: Presidential and other election news

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. Since we have offical threads for the sports i.e MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. to avoid countless new threads on news stories that bound to pop up, here a new one of the 2012 elections. So from here until election day in November, please put all election news comments/news links in this section.

While the Obama/Romney matchup will be the primary focus, other "national" elections such as those members of the US Senate and all of the Congress facing campaigns as well.So feel free to also post campaign news and reactions. Please Ladies and Gentleman keep it civil (avoid personal insults)and not ruin a thread that can be very intresting. Thanks

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There are 50 states on The LA Times’ cool, new "predict a winner" interactive map. But only about 10 of those states really matter for this presidential election, thanks to the electoral college. In a sea of blue and red, these states are gray — and that means up for grabs.

It is one of the oddest features of American democracy. Presidential candidates need only win 270 electoral votes — not the popular vote — to become the leader of the free world.

Electoral votes are awarded state by state, based on congressional representation. So a series of narrow wins in enough states beats huge losses in the others.

George W. Bush, Benjamin Harrison and Rutherford B. Hayes, for example, ascended to the White House despite the fact that they received fewer popular votes than their opponents. For years, opinion leaders have railed against this quirk of American politics, calling it a historical anachronism and a vestige of slavery."

http://www.latimes.c...5,0,90732.story

Oh gosh the first thing I thought is how it would stay civil.

Anyways, I honestly have to say that I don't think Mr. Obama has a chance to win this year. After he made the statement about Gay marriage, I think that was probably the climax of his career. This was shocking for me to hear. And encouraging something like this to the second string population like me, the future of the world, that just aint right. I'm sure the Bible had something in there about this, and I just can't believe he said it. I would be surprised if he gets another term. This is just showing that people will say ANYTHING to get re-elected.

And another reason I believe that the first was the last is because of the black community. I aint meanin to be racist or anything here, I am black myself, but the black people don't vote. I see plenty of TV ads that are trying to encourage black people to vote. Even the President himself has been urging the black community to get up and vote. If a lot more black people voted, we could surely see what the community really thinks, instead of getting a fraction of it.

Romney needs to be very careful who he choses as a vce president, he doesnt want to make the same mistakes McCain made

Very true foxie. Ms. Palin(fair or not)became the most joked upon national political figure since Dan Quayle. Speaking non partisan (not as much as her), VP Biden has also been the butt of ready punchlines lol by Leno, O' Brien, Stewart, Kimmel and of course Letterman over the last few years as well. In what should be a 2000/2004-type close election, Romney pick for a VP is hugely important. It could make or break his campaign to win the white house.

I'm gonna say Florida's going to swing to Obama like last time in 2008. Same with Vermont.

As the summer and pre-RNC/DNC gatherings will soon occur, the race is basically a tie according to most national polls as the start of the "Match" using a sports term. Obama is ahead by only 2-3% across the country in most polls and Romney ahead in couple of other different ones by the same margin. It's kickoff time for Campaign 2012, on Memorial Day Holiday weekend, so it's only in the 1st period comparing it to a NFL game.

Funny how people aren't really covering Ron Paul, which is the guy who will compete with Obama and make him loose.

He's the reason why the 2 party system is a joke. I'm sure he might do ok as a 3rd party candidate, but would end up splitting the conservative votes and allow Obama an easy win.

He's not that great, I mean he does not believe in separation of church and state, and he wants to bring back the gold standard in a growing economy. If I was able to vote I would vote for Obama over Paul and Romney anyday.

Has anybody considered a third party candidate possibly winning this year? Just saying, stuff like that is going to turn people far away from Romney, and nobody really seems satisfied with Obama.

I doubt it. As I said: if Paul runs as the 3rd party, he'll split the votes and Obama gets an easy victory. Sure Obama may have killed Bin Ladin and pulled the troops out of Iraq, but he hasn't fixed the economy, he's increased the deficit, he's made Egypt and Libya worse by toppling the leaders of those countries either directly or indirectly.... Imo, Obama has not done anything better like he promised and the constant media sucking up to him is sickening.

I doubt it. As I said: if Paul runs as the 3rd party, he'll split the votes and Obama gets an easy victory. Sure Obama may have killed Bin Ladin and pulled the troops out of Iraq, but he hasn't fixed the economy, he's increased the deficit, he's made Egypt and Libya worse by toppling the leaders of those countries either directly or indirectly.... Imo, Obama has not done anything better like he promised and the constant media sucking up to him is sickening.

And you think this is a bad thing?,These so called leaders were ruthless to there people, Obama didn't do anything, YouTube,Facebook and twitter did, the people of Egypt and Libya raised up and took control from years of oppression.

I know a lot of people are frustrated over the economy but Obama did say the the economy isn't going to get fixed overnight. it seems a lot of people forgot the pass 8 years other the pass administration which I will remain nameless ruined this economy. ..... and congress, which both party are to blame.

Obama's administration did via Hilary endorsing the change along with news outlets like CNN's Anderson Cooper. Obama 'reported to the UN/NATO' in going forth to join the coalition to force Quadafi out of power.

Egypt likely to be taken over by the radical Muslim brotherhood vs a general that, although oppressive, was an ally to the US and Israel: is this a better outcome just so that they can be 'free'? I don't see the brotherhood being very tolerant of the Christians there, not even counting their opinions of the Israel.

Libya is now a power vacuum, its stockpile of weapons will now fall into the hands of people WORSE than Quadafi such as Al Queada. I'm more of the 'deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't'. This is why the US should just butt out of the Middle east and stop meddling with how they do things. As long as they keep their problems in their own country, then that's all that matters. America has enough issues at home than to be the world's police force.

No where did I say the Bush administration deserve a pass, but these endless bailouts have been very costly and if the government gave everyone back that money instead of the corporations, we might've been better off. Obama's 'green energy' companies sure haven't paid back what they took: Solindra to name one.

Egypt likely to be taken over by the radical Muslim brotherhood vs a general that, although oppressive, was an ally to the US and Israel: is this a better outcome just so that they can be 'free'? I don't see the brotherhood being very tolerant of the Christians there, not even counting their opinions of the Israel.

Two wrongs don't make a right, country's don't have to suffer for the sake of the other, a leader who oppress there people is not are ally. This is the reason why iran is the way it is today, because we let an idiot like the Shah to safeguard the U.S and U.K interest there and not backing the Iranian people, and of course look what happen in 1979.

Libya is now a power vacuum, its stockpile of weapons will now fall into the hands of people WORSE than Quadafi such as Al Queada. I'm more of the 'deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't'. This is why the US should just butt out of the Middle east and stop meddling with how they do things. As long as they keep their problems in their own country, then that's all that matters. America has enough issues at home than to be the world's police force.

American isolation will not work today's world, America is connected to the world. america will meddle in the Middle east like it or not ..... and of course protect there precious Israel.

Good luck paying gas over 10 dollars a gallon then,and it not just a U.S thing anymore, it is the world. Welcome to the new world order.

No where did I say the Bush administration deserve a pass, but these endless bailouts have been very costly and if the government gave everyone back that money instead of the corporations, we might've been better off. Obama's 'green energy' companies sure haven't paid back what they took: Solindra to name one.

I know but for some reason a lot people think the 8 years under bush didn't happen, Is to bad there is not a lot of investment for green energy. they want us to be oil addicts forever.

And what makes you think groups like the Brotherhood will be any better? Seems to me that unless a person is a fanatic muslim follower, no one is welcomed there or they will be targets. Some places can't be trusted to be ruled by themselves. The idea of a 'democracy' is a western thing. Some places are a 'live and die by the sword' sort of rule.

Israel is the only true democracy there, of course they should be supported. That was their land before the Romans permanently displaced them around 70ad. Palistinians took that land because countries like Jordan and such didn't even want them in their country. Palistinians can't be trusted to have anymore land as Gaza showed they will continue to attack Israel because that's all those ppl were ever taught: 'kill the evil jews'.

Green energy is ok, but if a company goes bankrupt and takes the money without producing a thing, it is a scam and the people responsible should be held accountable. It's one thing if it was privately funded, but it's another when tax dollars were used and lost with nothing to show for it.

And what makes you think groups like the Brotherhood will be any better? Seems to me that unless a person is a fanatic muslim follower, no one is welcomed there or they will be targets. Some places can't be trusted to be ruled by themselves. The idea of a 'democracy' is a western thing. Some places are a 'live and die by the sword' sort of rule.

Nope, but that's the price of freedom sure the new government will be worse then the last one, but only time will tell. the people of those country will decide there future. for better or worse.

That was their land before the Romans permanently displaced them around 70ad.

Well then I guess we should tell the native American to take back the united states then since it was there land to begin with lol.

Green energy is ok, but if a company goes bankrupt and takes the money without producing a thing, it is a scam and the people responsible should be held accountable. It's one thing if it was privately funded, but it's another when tax dollars were used and lost with nothing to show for it.

True.

Well, I'd choose neither till all the extremist elements of those countries can be weeded out. I'm sure there are people deserving of freedom, but when you have the insane 'minority' that almost always takes control, then a 'heavy hand' is needed to maintain order. Iran has only gotten worse since the Shah got outted, and time will tell how Iraq will turn out.

You have to remember he didn't just kill Bin Laden. He klled alot of other high-rankers aswell. Also i'm not saying Obama is perfect but i'm really pissed that people are giving Obama more shit than Bush, when really all of these problems stem back to him. And you know mainly he's not cited for giving away bailouts, but he's cited for not completely reducing the deficit and/or economy. And thats what pisses me off. These people expect that 8 years of destruction can be fixed in two years. No it can't. We'll be lucky if this ever gets fixed.

Who are giving Obama more ish than Bush? from the media, you'd never know it since they hardly bring up the daily death counts from Afghanistan like they did with Bush on Iraq. And yes, I do praise Obama killing off many high ranking terrorists, but that doesn't change the fact that he's continued on with the bailouts and increased the deficit. It's now $15 trillion after 4 years in office. If people thinks Greece is in bad shape, then they'd be in for a rude awakening if China ever calls in on what they are owed and bankrupts the US.

You can like a person on some issues, but that doesn't mean he should be worshiped despite the flaws.

Archived