Campaign 2012: Presidential and other election news

Shortline Bus

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If people thinks Greece is in bad shape, then they'd be in for a rude awakening if China ever calls in on what they are owed and bankrupts the US.

They won't do that, to many US factories in China...

Who are giving Obama more ish than Bush? from the media, you'd never know it since they hardly bring up the daily death counts from Afghanistan like they did with Bush on Iraq. And yes, I do praise Obama killing off many high ranking terrorists, but that doesn't change the fact that he's continued on with the bailouts and increased the deficit. It's now $15 trillion after 4 years in office. If people thinks Greece is in bad shape, then they'd be in for a rude awakening if China ever calls in on what they are owed and bankrupts the US.

You can like a person on some issues, but that doesn't mean he should be worshiped despite the flaws.

First of all, we're in recession that Captain Dubya gave us, and what you do in a recession is spend to stimulate the economy, so small wonder the deficit is still there. Honestly, I think Obama hasn't done enough -- as far as I'm concerned the only major cuts should be to the military (40-50% of that budget can go out the window) and the rest of the work should be spending to stimulate. But secondly, China will never and can never do that, simply they're inversely dependent on us as we are on them. If you owe the bank a hundred dollars, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, you own the bank, cause they can't afford to devalue all of that money and try to get it back. It's a bit like that between us and China.

First of all, we're in recession that Captain Dubya gave us, and what you do in a recession is spend to stimulate the economy, so small wonder the deficit is still there. Honestly, I think Obama hasn't done enough -- as far as I'm concerned the only major cuts should be to the military (40-50% of that budget can go out the window) and the rest of the work should be spending to stimulate. But secondly, China will never and can never do that, simply they're inversely dependent on us as we are on them. If you owe the bank a hundred dollars, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, you own the bank, cause they can't afford to devalue all of that money and try to get it back. It's a bit like that between us and China.

I was telling people the same thing about China, the Chinese aren't going to do anything to really harm us becasue we are their best customer. I'm sure they get their money back indirectly,as people here in America go and buy stuff made by them.

120530012826-romney-america-ap-story-top.jpg

(CNN) -- It's probably not the kind of thing voters will use to choose the leader of the free world.

But the Web was taking no shortage of presidential potshots Wednesday over Republican candidate

Mitt Romney's new mobile app, which embarrassingly misspelled "America."

Yes, Internet. Welcome to AMERCIA.

"Sorry about the shaking California, that was just the rest of America laughing at Mitt Romney running for Pres. of #Amercia," wrote a person behind

a parody President Obama account on Twitter (referencing a minor earthquake late Tuesday).

The gaffe, presumably by some poor developer hired by the campaign, appears on "With Mitt," the campaign's newly released iPhone app. The app invites users to photograph themselves with their choice of 14 pro-Romney slogans such as "I'm a Mom For Mitt," "Obama Isn't Working" and "The America We Love," and then share them on social media.

But one of the slogans reads, "A Better Amercia." Oops. Somebody didn't observe the "I-before-C" rule.

An update to the "With Mitt" app, with the typo corrected, became available at about 1 p.m. on Wednesday. No one with the campaign was speaking on the record about it, but staffers were downplaying its importance in the run-up to November. By Wednesday afternoon, the campaign also had paid for a "promoted tweet" that appears when a Twitter users searches for "Amercia."

Slips of the tongue by political candidates are, of course, not uncommon. In 2008, then-candidate Obama got grief for saying he'd visited

And Vice President Joe Biden's free-speaking nature has gotten him no shortage of headlines.

But the Web's politically minded (many of whom, presumably, don't consider Romney their top choice), were noting that when a mistake appears in writing, it shows a lack of attention to detail.

"If you're applying for a job, and you misspell the name of the company you want to work for, you won't get that job. #Amercia,"

wrote a Twitter user.

"#Amercia" was a trending topic (meaning it's one of the most discussed terms) on Twitter late Tuesday and again Wednesday morning.

The typo has already also inspired its own Tumblr blog,

"Amercia Is With Mitt."

It features photos created with the app and, as of Wednesday morning, included a group of spelling bee champions, Beaker from "The Muppet Show" and Rich Uncle Moneybags, the Monopoly mascot, among its subjects.

And numerous images were popping up on Instagram -- one highlight being

Bart Simpson having to write the correctly spelled "America" during his iconic
from the intro to "The Simpsons."

To be honest, the Romney camp is probably more pleased at winning enough delegates in the Texas primaries Tuesday to make him

the unofficial GOP nominee than it is worried about a spelling gaffe.

And it's worth noting that lots of folks who support Romney probably only learned that the app exists because of talk about the typo.

In what many political analysts believe is the '1st test' to the national elections in November, Wisconsin today held a "recall election" in which controversial GOP/Tea Party Gov. Scott Walker is being challenged. It's a rematch from the Nov. 2010 election in which Walker is facing Tom Barrett, the Milwaukee mayor. As of this writing, the race is too close to call. IMO why the hell of a "recall" elections?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/05/polls-close-in-wisconsin-voter-turnout-reported-heavy/

to put it simply: Unions wanting to keep the status quo despite the recession. Considering how bad California is doing, what state would want to go bankrupt like them? I've always been for cuts first and then tax increases. You can't keep taxing people without making some cuts given the recession.

to put it simply: Unions wanting to keep the status quo despite the recession. Considering how bad California is doing, what state would want to go bankrupt like them? I've always been for cuts first and then tax increases. You can't keep taxing people without making some cuts given the recession.

The '3' major national cable news channels i.e CNN, Fox News and MSNBC have now all declared Gov. Walker will win this special election of June 5, 2012.

From a pratical view(union issue aside)recall elections are a total waste of taxpayer monies. Unless the officer holder committed IMO "criminal impeachment acts" this election was such a waste. The tens of millions needed to pay election workers could have went to something else in Wisc.

We need a 3rd party

I would go as far to say that we need 5 parties. That gives us as voters a diverse amount of candidates to pick from. I personally like to have a good amount of people to choose from, because I want to pick the best guy for the job of running the United States. That's just me though.

I would go as far to say that we need 5 parties. That gives us as voters a diverse amount of candidates to pick from. I personally like to have a good amount of people to choose from, because I want to pick the best guy for the job of running the United States. That's just me though.

Having (5) parties might be a bit much. Look at the UK. It creates even more chaos and division in paralment so it's not perfect either. Even just a 3rd major party would be create so much more options.

Well shifting gears. Here a poll that I think is somewhat helpful for Pres. Obama. Although he taking heat, a majority of American put much of the blame of this ongoing mega recession to George W. Bush.

"Although the struggling economy under President Barack Obama's leadership will likely define the outcome of this year's general election, more Americans continue to hold former President George W. Bush accountable for the nation's economic problems, according to a new poll.

The poll, released by Gallup Thursday, showed that 68 percent of Americans place either a great deal or moderate amount of economic blame on Bush, whereas 52 percent blame Obama. Republicans more universally ascribe the bad economy to the incumbent president, with 83 percent holding Obama responsible and 49 percent attributing the same level of blame to Bush. An overwhelming 90 percent of Democrats still blame Bush for the nation's economic problems, as opposed to only 19 percent who place blame on Obama, showing that Republicans are far more willing to hold Bush responsible than Democrats are willing to blame Obama.

The results of the survey come as Obama takes the stage in Ohio for a major economic speech, following a dismal May jobs report and repeated attacks from his Republican opponents for remarking that the private sector is "doing fine". Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney has made the country's ongoing economic woes under Obama's stewardship the focal point of his campaign, while the Obama campaign has worked to attribute the slow recovery to the problems created by Obama's predecessor and Congress' unwillingness to act on any of the president's proposals.

Still, the Gallup poll finds that Americans are generally negative about the direction in which the economy is headed, which will undoubtedly be a key factor at the polls in November."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/14/george-w-bush-economy-barack-obama_n_1596166.html?ref=election-2012-blog&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D169746

I was just looking at the recent poll number for Obama and Romney and, they are in a dead heat tie. I don't understand how anyone in their right state of mind think that Romney can be a better president. I don't get it.

I Guess it's the "what have you done for me lately?" era we live in now in America. Obama in '08 made alot of promises which were too good to be true. Not that I am a fan but Andrew Cuomo did a better campaign running for Gov. in 2010, by being "quiet" with his campaign pledges and not promising much.

Also being fair, Obama has made some mistakes as well so IMO if his term in White House ended today (even with taking out Osama)I say at best a (C) grade.

I Guess it's the "what have you done for me lately?" era we live in now in America. Obama in '08 made alot of promises which were too good to be true. Not that I am a fan but Andrew Cuomo did a better campaign running for Gov. in 2010, by being "quiet" with his campaign pledges and not promising much.

I mean, I'm not too proud of what Obama's done but to be fair, Washington is just gridlocked. Every since the filibuster went to 60 votes, the Republicans have held this country hostage and Obama doesn't get to do anything he wants to do, let alone vaguely Liberal stuff in general. My beef is that I think he compromises too easily, but it's almost impossible for him out there. Can't blame it on him when you've got partisan politicians ready to trainwreck the country just to prove a point. And just to be factual here, Cuomo made a ton of promises (some of which I disagree with)! Difference is, they were easier to keep and Albany is nowhere near as bad as Washington.

• 2 weeks later...

Shifting gears for minute to local NYC area election news. On Tuesday 6/26/12 was "Primary Day' for Congressional and US Senate seats.

Big story is Charlie Rangel basically being reassured of returning to Congress in a redrawn district that now only includes part of his Harlem home base. Rangel beats challenge of Adriano Espaillat.

The other "big race" was Hakeem Jefferies beating Controversial "Black Nationalist" Charles Barrons as replacement for Ed Towns for as a Brooklyn based Congressman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/charles-rangel-survives-primary-challenge-adriano-espaillat-seek-22nd-term-congress-article-1.1102976

Charlie Barron is a complete nutcase, but I was rooting for him. His foreign policy is insane, heck even some of his social policy is insane, but I can't help but like him for being so kooky. He's good lefty, whereas this Jeffries guy sold out just to get in office, god knows how much more he'll sell out in office.

Charlie Barron is a complete nutcase, but I was rooting for him. His foreign policy is insane, heck even some of his social policy is insane, but I can't help but like him for being so kooky. He's good lefty, whereas this Jeffries guy sold out just to get in office, god knows how much more he'll sell out in office.

Barron is so anti-Israel and out of the mainstream at least among NYC/Northeast political officals, no ways the powers that be will have him in Congress. A Congressmen Barron would be as bad as a former White Nationalist leader was elected a GOP Tea Partier.

Finally Barron is gone! I agree with SL about how ppl would be demanding a 'white power' GOP candidate be removed, why should a former black panther guy get a pass? Racists on any sides should be barred from holding any power.

Why are people still voting for Rangel? The guy is a criminal. If he was GOP he'd be locked up in prison now. That's how f'ed up the double standards are.

Archived