Campaign 2012: Presidential and other election news

Shortline Bus

Chris Christie!

This is unlikely to happen because he won't tip the balance in a swing state. He also says he doesn't want the job.

Senator Rob Portman, Tim Pawlenty, and John Hunstman

Huntsman won't happen because he won't bring ideological balance to the ticket. Not a bad idea though to include someone with foreign policy experience on the ticket after Romney's foreign policy gaffes.

Speaking of people with foreign policy experience, someone like Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina may be a dark horse. He is a ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee. He also tends to be much more conservative than Romney.

Sen. John Barrasso of Wyoming may also be an interesting dark horse. He brings foreign policy experience (ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee) and experience in the medical field (ran a private orthopedic practice). He, too, is more conservative than Romney.

If the last few elections have taught us anything about VP picks it's that you should expect the unexpected. That's why it's important to look at dark horses who balance the ticket, just like the two individuals above would do.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitt Romney needs someone who can help him energize the base, and close the gap between him and Obama. He also needs someone who can take on Joe Biden, and make Obama's VP look bad.

What gap? Gallup has them statistically tied right now.

What gap? Gallup has them statistically tied right now.

Tokemon in national polls you rights it's a tie! However in the most important electoral college poll by NY Times(done on 8/2/12), CSPAN and other sites Obama has a very slight lead overall.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/aug-1-obama-extends-electoral-college-advantage/

Marco Rubio

Mitt Romney needs someone who can help him energize the base, and close the gap between him and Obama. He also needs someone who can take on Joe Biden, and make Obama's VP look bad.

taking on Biden isnt hard especially when he spells J O B S as a 3 letter word.

joe

If the jobs reports keep coming out as horrendous, I won't be surprised to see Obama slide... The one thing I like about Romney is his talks about getting tough on China and enacting protectionist laws to protect American jobs, something that I most certainly want to see as a fiscally conservative Independent. Republicans usually aren't tough in that area so this is a change of pace. Also, we need more tax breaks. I couldn't believe my paycheck the other day... $3k gross last pay period and $1k went to taxes... Almost half of my paycheck....

If the jobs reports keep coming out as horrendous, I won't be surprised to see Obama slide... The one thing I like about Romney is his talks about getting tough on China and enacting protectionist laws to protect American jobs, something that I most certainly want to see as a fiscally conservative Independent. Republicans usually aren't tough in that area so this is a change of pace. Also, we need more tax breaks. I couldn't believe my paycheck the other day... $3k gross last pay period and $1k went to taxes... Almost half of my paycheck....

welcome to the wonderful world of big government

joe

According to RealClearPolitics, the average numbers of all the polls are:

Obama 47.8

Romney 43.9

Obama currently has a lead in the electoral college.

The September and October job numbers will really set the course of this race, in spite of current distractions from the main issue: the economy.

According to RealClearPolitics, the average numbers of all the polls are:

Obama 47.8

Romney 43.9

Obama currently has a lead in the electoral college.

The September and October job numbers will really set the course of this race, in spite of current distractions from the main issue: the economy.

Yeah and the company I work for, we've been generating more income, albeit slowly in what is still a recession and this year my earnings should increase yet again, albeit slowly so I guess i should call myself lucky because the economy is still in the tank right now. After a great 2008, 2009 business was down almost 40%. 2010 things increase a bit and then last year I had my best year since my first full year at the company in 2011 and this year appears to be a repeat of last year, so we finally saw some decent bonuses compared to 2009 and 2010.

Here intresting profile piece from Washington Post on then Gov. Romney handling of the Big Dig project (buliding a new tunnel in Downtown Boston and tear down an aging highway in same time)giving glance of his style as an executive in a political setting. FYI. Romney was also the CEO/Chairman of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/what-romneys-run-with-the-big-dig-tells-us-about-how-hed-manage-america/2012/08/10/f78ee398-ba2d-11e1-abd4-aecc81b4466d_story.html?hpid=z1

Well this morning (8/11/12) Mitt Romney will pick his VP selection. The news outlets i.e Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc. are all assuming it will be Wisc. Congressmen Paul Ryan. I know this belongs in the campaign 2012 thread but this will be merged at some point. Ryan is 43 years old the youngest VP pick since Dan Quayle in 1988.

Thus for couple of days this major news will be pinned to prevent several others from posting the same topic. So feel free to comment?

Hooray for picking someone who will excite the conservatives!

It does nothing for swing votes methinks, but this certainly will get the conservatives out in droves to vote. Perhaps a Chick-Fil-A syndrome type thing.

That will be a problem because that swing vote is needed for the Republicans to win. Neither party can win with its base alone.

Well Q10. Once again another VP pick 'outside of the box" with another early 40's White Consertative and a Tea Party Favorite. Clearly even if Romney loses, Ryan with this selection instantly becomes a possible contender in 2016.

This is unlikely to happen because he won't tip the balance in a swing state. He also says he doesn't want the job.

Huntsman won't happen because he won't bring ideological balance to the ticket. Not a bad idea though to include someone with foreign policy experience on the ticket after Romney's foreign policy gaffes.

Speaking of people with foreign policy experience, someone like Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina may be a dark horse. He is a ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee. He also tends to be much more conservative than Romney.

Sen. John Barrasso of Wyoming may also be an interesting dark horse. He brings foreign policy experience (ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee) and experience in the medical field (ran a private orthopedic practice). He, too, is more conservative than Romney.

If the last few elections have taught us anything about VP picks it's that you should expect the unexpected. That's why it's important to look at dark horses who balance the ticket, just like the two individuals above would do.

Yay?

Who else would have been picked that was better? The field isn't very good to start. But Ryan is able to articulate his views and gets a crowd riled up better than Romney. So perhaps this will be good for the conservatives to get out the vote, just like Chick-Fil-A Appreciation day: When someone gets conservatives riled up, they show up in droves compared to liberals.

Yay?

Who else would have been picked that was better? The field isn't very good to start. But Ryan is able to articulate his views and gets a crowd riled up better than Romney. So perhaps this will be good for the conservatives to get out the vote, just like Chick-Fil-A Appreciation day: When someone gets conservatives riled up, they show up in droves compared to liberals.

2 big Problem IMO is these for Ryan.

1)2rd or 3rd youngest VP pick in US history (i think only Dan Quayle and Teddy Roosevelt were younger)

2)lack of any international affairs/foreign policy experience or military experience.

Yes Ryan gets out the base, but someone like Sen. Rubio could have won the Consertvative Latino Voter which is a now a huge and important voting demographic in America. IMO the Ryan is not the fisaco of Quayle or Sarah Palin but at same time, he does not add dramtically a new set of new voters either other than White Male Consertatives.

2 big Problem IMO is these for Ryan.

1)2rd or 3rd youngest VP pick in US history (i think only Dan Quayle and Teddy Roosevelt were younger)

2)lack of any international affairs/foreign policy experience or military experience.

Yes Ryan gets out the base, but someone like Sen. Rubio could have won the Consertvative Latino Voter which is a now a huge and important voting demographic in America. IMO the Ryan is not the fisaco of Quayle or Sarah Palin but at same time, he does not add dramtically a new set of new voters either other than White Male Consertatives.

Don't automatically assume that because Rubio is a Latino that all the Latinos would magically vote Republican.

As for your problems, why does age really matter? And why does a VP need that other stuff?

I have to agree. What about McCain? He would've been the oldest president if he got elected. Should we be worried about him dying in office or spending most of his time in the hospital leaving Palin in charge? (So I think Ryan is a better vp choice already.)

I also agree that even if Rubio was selected, it won't automatically shift a whole group to the GOP. Plus didn't Rubio give off some talks that he wasn't interested to be vp like Christie? I thought he was already out of the running.

In the 2004 race, Kerry and Edwards were both white guys, so I don't really buy the need for having a minority as a vp for the sake of it. God knows that would cause problems on the GOP side where he/she would be called a token to pander to a certain group. Which was why I was against Condi Rice. I think Powell could've been a great choice, but I think that he retired from politics and is probably more an Obama supporter now.

Don't automatically assume that because Rubio is a Latino that all the Latinos would magically vote Republican.

As for your problems, why does age really matter? And why does a VP need that other stuff?

My problems? Seriously I was talking 'objective" as a former news reporter for a small paper in Queens read by 50 ppl. lol and what many voters will think! In sense as a political anaysts. And Tokemon I never said Rubio would win all of the Latino vote. I said he would get most of the consertative Latino vote.

And age will be somewhat of an issue for an unknown until now for Ryan! Biggest issue despite his Tea Party backing and his utra consertative views to fix the budget issues, his lack of experience will also be played by the media and Team Obama/Biden. Not matter what happens here, Ryan barring a major surprise scandal is an almost certain future pres. canadiate as early in 2016.

Did you read his bio Tokemon and Concourse. I said age was also an issue for both Obama and Palin back in '08. Most important being fair, Romney could have picked another 40's-age VP pick that both a fiscal consertative and had military/international affairs experience. Again I am playing devil advocate objective what at least some voters think.

Seems like many of us watch Fox News or MSNBC way too much for analysis.

Ultra-Conservative? Wut? He may be a conservative but he's not an extremist, by any means.

If you look at Ryan's voting record it reflects the record of a rank-in-file Republican.

I have two major concerns about Ryan's pick:

1. Will he attract or detract independents? If you look at elections where the Ryan budget was the central issue, the jury may be out on Ryan.

2. Will he overshadow Romney? As Tokkemon said earlier in the thread, Ryan can excite a crowd much more than Romney. If Ryan overshadows Romney, that would not be a good sign for the campaign (a la McCain-Palin in 2008 and Mondale-Ferraro in 1984).

If you look at Ryan's voting record it reflects the record of a rank-in-file Republican.

I have two major concerns about Ryan's pick:

1. Will he attract or detract independents? If you look at elections where the Ryan budget was the central issue, the jury may be out on Ryan.

2. Will he overshadow Romney? As Tokkemon said earlier in the thread, Ryan can excite a crowd much more than Romney. If Ryan overshadows Romney, that would not be a good sign for the campaign (a la McCain-Palin in 2008 and Mondale-Ferraro in 1984).

Thus this VP pick is a huge breakthru for Ryan's future carrer even if he loses with Romney. Plus it he decided to run in 2016 this exposure make him an instant favorite along with Christie and Rubio barring a major scandal breaks out.

Archived