Wheelchair User Fights the MTA Over Subway Platform Gaps

mark1447

The other thing I'd like to see happen when they finally do get around to sorting out the Sea Beach line is to make 62nd St/New Utrecht Av and Kings Highway wheelchair accessible, and simply raise the platform about 2-3 inches along the conductor's car and the car in front of it (as well as the widening thing I mentioned above) as part of any platform work or renovations from here on out.

Here's an idea; if subway cars are routinely coming in 2-6 inches above platform height, what about simply raising the part of the platform 50 or so feet on either side of the spotting board by an inch or so, with a gentle incline down to the rest of the platform. That way trains will come in an inch or two above or an inch or two below the platform rather than two to six inches above. The other thing that could be done fairly inexpensively is to add an inch or so to the width of the platform in those locations on each side so that the gap isn't so big widthwise.

That's actually done in a lot of places already like along the (J) from Marcy to Broadway Jct (possibly further), and more recently at Franklin Av on the (S)

That's another issue. Your point seems to be that the MTA won't do anything. They may very well do something if she can get enough signatures and enough publicity.

My point is that the MTA can't change the laws of physics, regardless of how many signatures and how much publicity Ms. Kaplan gets. The train's height is going to vary slightly depending on its load, and there is always going to be a small horizontal gap, which her scooter's wheels are falling into. If her goal is to complain, she's doing a fine job, but if her goal is to ride the train, she needs a standard wheelchair with large wheels, which will easily bridge the gap.

According to the related NY1 article: "The MTA says the height requirement [the vertical gap of no more than two inches] only applies to subway cars that are half full and the height of the car shifts depending on how many people are on board, which the MTA has no control over."

Here's an idea; if subway cars are routinely coming in 2-6 inches above platform height, what about simply raising the part of the platform 50 or so feet on either side of the spotting board by an inch or so, with a gentle incline down to the rest of the platform. That way trains will come in an inch or two above or an inch or two below the platform rather than two to six inches above.

That's exactly what's done at most ADA stations to bring the platform height in compliance with ADA requirements.

The other thing that could be done fairly inexpensively is to add an inch or so to the width of the platform in those locations on each side so that the gap isn't so big widthwise.

There has to be a slight horizontal clearance to allow for trains to sway - otherwise they'll knock off the edge of the platform, and the result certainly wouldn't please Ms. Kaplan!

The other thing I'd like to see happen when they finally do get around to sorting out the Sea Beach line is to make 62nd St/New Utrecht Av and Kings Highway wheelchair accessible, and simply raise the platform about 2-3 inches along the conductor's car and the car in front of it (as well as the widening thing I mentioned above) as part of any platform work or renovations from here on out.

Why those two stations in particular? The busiest station on the Sea Beach, by far, is 8th Ave., with 3.5 million annual riders. Second and third are Bay Pkwy. (2.2 million) and Fort Hamilton Pkwy. (2.1 million). New Utrecht has only 1.8 million, including the West End station, and Kings Highway has only 1.6 million.

If one Sea Beach station is made ADA accessible, it should be 8th Ave. If a second is made ADA accessible, it should be Bay Pkwy.

http://www.mta.info/..._sub_annual.htm

In this situation, i think the best compromise is just in next 10-15 years(frankly not all 400-plus subway station will be ada accessible)is just add to them to key stations that dont have them yet i.e 62 St (D)(N) 7th Ave/Flatbush (B)(Q) 7th-Park Slope (F)(G) 242nd St and 225th/Marble Hill (1) Woodhaven (J) and all stations near major hosptials.

In this situation, i think the best compromise is just in next 10-15 years(frankly not all 400-plus subway station will be ada accessible)is just add to them to key stations that dont have them yet. That includes 62 St (D)(N) 7th Ave/Flatbush (B)(Q) 7th-Park Slope (F)(G) 242nd St and 225th/Marble Hill (1) Woodhaven (J) and all stations near major hosptials.

In this situation, i think the best compromise is just in next 10-15 years(frankly not all 400-plus subway station will be ada accessible)is just add to them to key stations that dont have them yet i.e 62 St (D)(N) 7th Ave/Flatbush (B)(Q) 7th-Park Slope (F)(G) 242nd St and 225th/Marble Hill (1) Woodhaven (J) and all stations near major hosptials.

In 1984, the MTA reached an agreement with the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association (now the United Spinal Association) to make 100 "key stations" accessible to the disabled by 2020. So far, 75 have been completed, in addition to 17 non-key stations.

Here's the list: http://www.nyctransp...ation-list.html

The Subway isn't meant for people in wheelchairs. I do agree that the MTA should stop spending money on the art crap. Who gives a damn about the art. People want to go where they need to go. I can say some of it is cool, but it is unnecessary.

It's very weird. People, (I'm not saying you), but people are always complaining that they hate Giuliani for cracking down on Graffiti on trains. They say, it's "beautiful", but you say nobody gives a damn. :wacko:

In 1984, the MTA reached an agreement with the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association (now the United Spinal Association) to make 100 "key stations" accessible to the disabled by 2020. So far, 75 have been completed, in addition to 17 non-key stations.

Here's the list: http://www.nyctransp...ation-list.html

Wow wee... Not even a 4th of the stations in the system. That's pathetic. Yes, I know the subways aren't for the disabled and are for the masses. That's your favorite line... I would like to hear your thought process if we weren't part of the masses for a change.

As I said before folks can't make up their mind. The MTA wants to force disabled people to use the bus and cut Access-A-Ride instead of making more subway stations ADA accessible.

Yes, like building that elevator & extra exit at the 68th Street subway station...

Wow wee... Not even a 4th of the stations in the system. That's pathetic. Yes, I know the subways aren't for the disabled and are for the masses. That's your favorite line... I would like to hear your thought process if we weren't part of the masses for a change.

Well, if "the masses" were all disabled people then yes, the MTA would be forced to make accomodations. Just keep in mind that those masses would have to pay extra for said accomodations by way of higher fares and possibly less service.

Yes, like building that elevator & extra exit at the 68th Street subway station...

Oh please... Like SO many disabled people would be using that... Most of the people I see using those elevators are just too lazy to use the stairs. Has nothing to do with being disabled at all.

Oh please... Like SO many disabled people would be using that... Most of the people I see using those elevators are just too lazy to use the stairs. Has nothing to do with being disabled at all.

I'm pretty sure the hospitals in the area have something to do with it.

...or maybe because the MTA threw a dart at a map and it just so happen to land on 68 St.

That's so true. Don't get it. I get cheap thrills from flying up the stairs. I'd better if there's a train coming....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived