How to improve the Queens Blvd Line On The Weekends?

alekr

Whoa, what? Who said I was trying to insult you? Over a non-inflammatory comment? I swear stop being so serious.

Smiley emoticons are available and used for a reason. To show that a comment is posted in good jest as I did in this case. If I was really trying to insult you believe me you will know. But that was'nt my intentions here in regards your post. Please don't have a tantrum out of something that is an non-issue.

Leave the garbage at the door before you speak. It works wonders. With that I'm done discussing this idiocy in this tthat post and would like to get back on topic.

I'm extremely stupid and foolish? Prove that I am....You got a big ass mouth talking smack..

Four tracks via 60th Street and passing under the Central Park pond will ease this had them thought of this before when they started constructed the subway in the past. That's what I meant....I didn't mean had them started now because its late and already what it is. I was just saying!

So shut the hell up if you can't get through what I said! I really hate hypocritical users like you, you piss me off! How the hell is this a "fantasy", it's an attempt to fix something that's WRONG with the damn system on the Broadway Line!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I don't give a damn flying cent if anyone else comes at me for going off topic. You guys know my attempts, it's not no flipping ass fantasy. Carry on with your damn insults while I'm out of here. I took that shit as an insult but no one gave a crap. Oh well. I got more important things to do now at home than waste my freaking time arguing with you. Good day to you. <_<

I guess all the participants in this discussion are all in agreement that increased R service is the answer? IMO G train service sounds like a good idea for local Queens riders traveling to destinations within Queens, but most riders are going to Manhattan. But that is a good idea. Weekend M service ideally would be good but most people from other threads disagree with that proposal because the MTA cannot afford to fund for the service among other reasons.

So increased R service seems to be the way to go then? Agreed?

Uhhh...yes....because the (N) train comes once every ten minutes every single day according to its current schedule...so on weekends, the (R) can come twice every ten minutes during both the morning and evening hours where people commute. <_<

People take the (F) for the same reasons they take the (E). They need to get to Manhattan, Jamaica, and key stops along the Queens Blvd line. Plus, I don't think it can switch onto the 63rd Street Line tracks from the local tracks.

There was many times that the (E) specifically was rerouted thru the 63rd street connector from the local tracks at 36th street during weekend GOs due to 53rd Street signal maintenance or track work terminating at 2nd Ave on the 6th Avenue line. (This was recent).

In fact I remember the first train that ever traveled through the 63rd street connector the day it was opened for revenue service at exactly midnight on December 16th 2001. Was it a (F) train? .

Surprise! it was a R32 consist signed up for the (E). It went through the 63rd street line from 6th Ave to 21st Street. Then through the new connector, tunnel walls pristine and clean. It switched to the local tracks and headed to the terminal at Jamaica Center.

Trains were actually utilizing the connector even before the official opening date, a week before that date. Living then in Flushing, Queens I can clearly recall (F) trains being rerouted through the connector, bypassing the 53rd street tunnel due to delays. (Was it due to a switch malfunction, I forgot) That was a long time ago so I can't remember exactly what caused the delay meriting a (F) reroute through the connector to the QBL, onto the express tracks. Alot of passengers were confused that's for sure wondering what happened to Queens Plaza and if we are even in Queens at all. lol.

I can't decide if the (R) really needs more service than other lines on the weekend. I guess the reason why it might need it is that it serves a lot of stations by itself (4 Av local, Jay St/Metrotech - City Hall, QBL local)...

My point is that you could improve weekend service on just about any line by increasing service. The question is whether the (R) particularly needs it.

Increased service on that Broadway local route will benefit riders throughout the three borough it serves. It astonishes me that Transit neglected this. The R is a very critical BMT line much like the N out of Brooklyn. That's my take on this.

Yeah totally agree with your view on this but in this case with the QBL I think it's the local service (the lack of it) that's killing everybody with the wait times on the weekends, and by extension the overcrowding on the express routes as a consequence.

Increased service on that Broadway local route will benefit riders throughout the three borough it serves. It astonishes me that Transit neglected this. The R is a very critical BMT line much like the N out of Brooklyn. That's my take on this.

Yes.

Increasing (R) service would be the logical thing to do, and not just during the weekends, but during rush hours. I think there should be an (R) coming every 4-5 minutes during rush hours and every 7-8 minutes on weekends during its most heavily used hours.

On a side note I agree with your assessment.

But I would imagine that the train frequency has something to do with that fact that it shares tracks.

N service needs to be increased as well during rush hours and should go express. The Q has no business going to Astoria.

Something has to be done to fix the Bway line, because trains are bunched up and service gets slowed down. I don't even want to talk about experiences I have had with delays.

More Rs and more Ns and we are in business. (or bring back the W).

How about simply having the (R) come once every 7 minutes? That's eight trains per hour. Or every 8 minutes? That's seven trains per hour. The (E) and (F) could run every 7 or 8 minutes as well. The (C), (G), and (N) trains do have 10 min intervals so that would be no prob. It is to increase the frequency of QB service and improve the line itself on weekends, right? The (MTA) can sure as hell schedule it properly. Weather's it's needed or run. QB Local, Lower Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn, and 4 Av Local need the (R) to run frequently and prone to being on time.

Until the loss of (Q) service in Queens in 2016, then things will prehaps come right back the way it was for B'way line on weekdays in its 2004-2010 version.

Like I said previously that's the power of CBTC.

For CBTC to really work the entire BMT-IND would have to be tied in. The reason the L and 7 lines were chosen was because they are isolated lines and don't share trackage with other lines. On the QBL, if CBTC were implemented only there, theoretically you could run more TPH in that corridor but once they left QB via 53rd ,63rd, 60th St, or Crosstown you would end up with delays beyond that point. The reason being that there would be too many trains entering the non-CBTC area where the signal system is not geared up for that. We would have to hear from a T/O from who had operated from the Canarsie Line through the interchange with the Jamaica Line what,if any, additional steps a T/O must take to properly transit from one area CBTC to another non- connected area. I'm only familiar with the other (ATS) system used in the IRT where they also promised more trains per hour. The problem with that was if Lexington Ave corridor was over capacity to start with there is no system available today to overcome the laws of physics. Simply put it's like trying to pour 12oz of water into a 10oz glass. Ain't gonna work. The problem on QB on weekends seems to be a lack of reliable local service and not a signaling issue. Simple solution is to run more R service, not CBTC. If they are being delayed somewhere along the line before reaching QB try to clear up THAT problem first because if that is the case increasing the frequency of the R means that more trains will be delayed There are some who propose turning some trains at Whitehall St and sending them back north. In so many words that means screw the 4th Ave-Montague riders. I think that's wrong, period. The R is a route serving Ft. Hamilton, 4th Ave, Montague St, Broadway, and QB riders. Not just QBL line ridership. The same thing is being said on the CPW weekend thread. I think many people overlook the fact that the R, like the C, are routes, designed to serve the total ridership base of the route and not a localized segment. IMO both lines deserve increased weekend service frequency if the total route warrants it. I'd like to hear what the train crews think, first Just my opinion. Carry on.

Hey, as long as no one tries to make the (E) or (F) local on QBL on weekends, I'll be happy! LOL..

But yeah more (R) service.. I feel like that is one of the more neglected subway routes in our system.... There are actually a lot of peeps who take the (R) on QBL on the weekends (mostly Queens Center Mall, but yeah you see my point...)

Trainmaster5 hit it right on the nose!!!

To add my 2 cents, for an interval increase on the R, does the whole line need it, as mentioned earlier, and how do you schedule intersecting routes? The N shares tracks on bway. You will have to schedule N's to navigate from the bridge to the local tracks so the R wouldn't have to wait and vice versa. Then because the N also runs local, you'll have to see if it's warranted on Broadway. Right now, Broadway has its desired intervals in general. Remember, the desired focus for intervals is to not have empty trains. You want most of the seats taken and even have standees to make the run profitable. You may have to shift N's to accommodate the increase in R service. They have to be pretty much even spaced.

Trainmaster5 hit it right on the nose!!!

To add my 2 cents, for an interval increase on the R, does the whole line need it, as mentioned earlier, and how do you schedule intersecting routes? The N shares tracks on bway. You will have to schedule N's to navigate from the bridge to the local tracks so the R wouldn't have to wait and vice versa. Then because the N also runs local, you'll have to see if it's warranted on Broadway. Right now, Broadway has its desired intervals in general. Remember, the desired focus for intervals is to not have empty trains. You want most of the seats taken and even have standees to make the run profitable. You may have to shift N's to accommodate the increase in R service. They have to be pretty much even spaced.

Yes, not by much. You can have the (N) run Whitehall for the beginning to help.

You could have an extra local - weekend only. Maybe the (K). And (E) that runs local. WTC to 71st Avenue, or Jamaica Center. I'm calling it the (K) because it is not used.

Don't forget that the (N) has to merge with the (Q). If the (R) gets an increase then the (N) has to get an increase to maintain equal headways and equal spacing to prevent bunching but since the (N) shares tracks with the (Q)(D) those services have to be shifted as well to maintain equal spacing and headways then all the B Division lines would be affected since they all share tracks with each other

Weekend R service has actually increased in 2012 compared to what it was during weekends in 2010.

The 2010 weekend schedule had 8 minute headways, but due to track work in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Queens, I think 48 out of the 52 weekends the R train was cut back to a 12 minute supplement schedule. Example: if R running via Manhattan Bridge in one direction, if E and F running local in Queens in one direction, if R running express on Broadway in one direction, etc etc. There was always something that caused a 12 minute supplement schedule. And that was really lousy since with delays, you'd very often wait 20+ minutes for a train on weekends.

Now R weekend service is much more reliable and leaves the terminals at 10 minute headways. As a very frequent R train commuter, there is a VERY big improvement during 2012 weekends versus 2010 weekends. The R cannot run more frequently than 10 minutes on weekends due to congestion caused by track work when express & local trains share the same track.

This is why I am saying either improve the (R) entirely, and let the T/O's go up to speed instead of craw, or just let the (E) run local. I am not really into the (R) turning at Whitehall either ways considering that it's just going to screw the 4th Ave./Bay Ridge riders. You have to look at the overall picture, not just specifically the QBL, but if you want QBL specifically, then the (E) Local would be the best case scenario. Just sayin' and I agree CBTC is not going to improve stuff in the main system *other than the (L) and (7) Lines*

Everyone keeps saying "make the (E) local", but most forget the (E) is busy on 8 Avenue as well as QBL, so running it local won't really help that much. That route is express in Queens for a reason.

To add, you can't just say make this train or that train run local/express (whatever it may be) and simply expect that to work because any change to a route comes with a consequence or benefit or even both.

Archived