How to improve the Queens Blvd Line On The Weekends?

alekr

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone keeps saying "make the (E) local", but most forget the (E) is busy on 8 Avenue as well as QBL, so running it local won't really help that much. That route is express in Queens for a reason.

To add, you can't just say make this train or that train run local/express (whatever it may be) and simply expect that to work because any change to a route comes with a consequence or benefit or even both.

How about this, since the original idea is to make extra trains serve Woodhaven Blvd., how about let the (E) run Local between Roosevelt Ave. and Forest Hills as a compromise?

I know there is perhaps a reason the (E) runs Express, and there are consequences and benefits as well, however really you can solve the problems at Woodhaven by making the (E) run Local in just one section, it's going to be the best of both worlds at the end.

How about this, since the original idea is to make extra trains serve Woodhaven Blvd., how about let the (E) run Local between Roosevelt Ave. and Forest Hills as a compromise?

I know there is perhaps a reason the (E) runs Express, and there are consequences and benefits as well, however really you can solve the problems at Woodhaven by making the (E) run Local in just one section, it's going to be the best of both worlds at the end.

Except for the (E) riders from Jamaica.

The (R) only requires 29 trains every day for its daytime service. But because of the 60th tube is why its infrequent and even sometimes irregular. There's no other way to increase service with the (N) in the way on weekends.

So the 60th st tube can barely fit the (N)(R) on weekends, although it fits the (N)(Q)(R) on weekdays?

How are you going to do that?

Increase speed where possible, or put a Minimal speed limit for Green & Amber Lights unless if notified by Dispatcher to slow down/stop.

Except for the (E) riders from Jamaica.

It is also going to benefit people from Jamaica, especially those who want an one seat to Jamaica post shopping spree. If the (E) goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, it goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, simple. If you want a faster ride, take the Express Bus or (F) to the next (E) when possible, the (MTA) is NOT your yellow cab. Plus, you already have another few options in Jamaica too, that's LIRR, and (J)/(Z). If I hear one more mention about Jamaica and the (E) on weekends ONLY, I'm going to call those people NIMBY's...

And one more thing, keep in mind 60th St. Tunnel is not the cause of delays, the switch down around Canal to 8th St. - NYU is the cause of the delays on the (N)(Q)(R), also in Brooklyn, meaning the DeKalb area deal. So it's two places where things will be slowed down considerably. 60th St. is actually not the problem until that timer got installed in one of the tubes.

It is also going to benefit people from Jamaica, especially those who want an one seat to Jamaica post shopping spree. If the (E) goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, it goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, simple. If you want a faster ride, take the Express Bus or (F) to the next (E) when possible

How is that simple? By making them wait for the next train or an (F) train, you've already condemned the person to wait for the same length of time (or even more) as the time they would've saved if the train had gone express. Here's simple for you: the (R) is local west of Forest Hills, the (F) is express west of Forest Hills, and the (E) is express. Riders are happiest when service is predictable and making random (E) trains run local doesn't contribute to predictability.

So the 60th st tube can barely fit the (N)(R) on weekends, although it fits the (N)(Q)(R) on weekdays?

Since when did I said that?...I was merely talking about the signals and the scheduling of the trains. It can fit the (N)(R) but remember how many in the past said that the (N)(Q)(R) via 60th is more trains than with (N)(R)(W)? That's what I was pointing out. So increasing more (R) would mean more trains on the tube on weekends. And that's because the (Q) (and increase N/R service) has more trains than the (W) but many however seem to deny the fact that they had 10 minute intervals....

And one more thing, keep in mind 60th St. Tunnel is not the cause of delays, the switch down around Canal to 8th St. - NYU is the cause of the delays on the (N)(Q)(R), also in Brooklyn, meaning the DeKalb area deal. So it's two places where things will be slowed down considerably. 60th St. is actually not the problem until that timer got installed in one of the tubes.

That's the whole reason why the (R) is very infrequent and irregular. The 60th Tunnel is not the reason but what's plauging Broadway is 34th, Prince, and DeKalb junctions. But many said in the past that the (Q) to Astoria means more trains via 60th Tunnel when in most of the day it comes once every 10 minutes like the N/R...That's also my point as well, its a fact...

The one flaw with this plan is that it would cause delays at Roosevelt due to the (E) switching tracks.

Yes, not by much. You can have the (N) run Whitehall for the beginning to help.

You could have an extra local - weekend only. Maybe the (K). And (E) that runs local. WTC to 71st Avenue, or Jamaica Center. I'm calling it the (K) because it is not used.

And you probably too young to remember the congestion problems when the (N) ran 24/7 via whitehall with the (R) during the Manhattan Bridge rebulid era, Not to mention folks in Dyker Heights, Sunset Park and more screaming about losing (rightfully so)their full time Manhattan Bridge 'express' service.

It is also going to benefit people from Jamaica, especially those who want an one seat to Jamaica post shopping spree. If the (E) goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, it goes local and add a few minutes to it's trip, simple. If you want a faster ride, take the Express Bus or (F) to the next (E) when possible, the (MTA) is NOT your yellow cab. Plus, you already have another few options in Jamaica too, that's LIRR, and (J)/(Z). If I hear one more mention about Jamaica and the (E) on weekends ONLY, I'm going to call those people NIMBY's...

>is NIMBY for wanting express service RETAINED

SEEMS LEGIT.

LIRR costs extra, and the (J) runs very infrequently , and only serves downtown. We're talking two different markets here.

Also, i'm not from Jamaica. At all. But I support them in this. There is no case in which express service should be messed with for extra service. Take a look at the (D) on CPW. And yes, it would benifet some, but the greater majority is going to Manhattan.

Now I would write more, but someone else needs to use the computer...

What's up with people saying that trains like the (E) or (N) should run local with the (R)?...

This isn't nighttime, this is DAYTIME!

What do you think will happen had the (E) run local on weekends? More packed and delayed trains along the (E)(F) in Queens!

Had the (N) run local fully via Montague Street Tunnel means more packed and delayed (D)'s on 4 Av along with (B)'s and (Q)'s at DeKalb as Shortline Bus said residents will be TIGHT/PISSED due to loss of (N) Express via Manhattan Bridge.

Come guys, think about ridership demands as well as outcomes and causes first!

Can you guys even imagine the (A) being local with no (C) service means more packed and delayed trains as well as the (D) on CPW!

What's up with people saying that trains like the (E) or (N) should run local with the (R)?...

This isn't nighttime, this is DAYTIME!

What do you think will happen had the (E) run local on weekends? More packed and delayed trains along the (E)(F) in Queens!

Had the (N) run local fully via Montague Street Tunnel means more packed and delayed (D)'s on 4 Av along with (B)'s and (Q)'s at DeKalb

as Shortline Bus said residents will be TIGHT/PISSED due to loss of (N) Express via Manhattan Bridge.

Come guys, think about ridership demands first!

The only option other than currently overnights (when (R) stops running at around Midnight-5am)for (E) to run local is after 9pm-Midnight only. That would be only be a local between Jamaica Center-74th Street/Jackson Heights to help out the (R) when most stores at Queens Center and other QB area shopping districts (mainly 63rd Drive)are closing. Not endorsing it but a possible compromise to help with the sometimes SRO crowds especially during the Thanksgiving-Xmas-New Years season. The crowding issue is at Grand, Woodhaven and 63rd Drive. Back in day at least Woodhaven should been a 'express stop' but it's too late now. Just my takes.

What I'm trying to make, however, is that what would happen if you increase more (R) service? What about happen to the 60th Street Tube and the Broadway local tracks above Canal Street?

Answer my questions, NX Express, Lance, and CDTA...

What I'm trying to make, however, is that what would happen if you increase more (R) service? What about happen to the 60th Street Tube and the Broadway tracks above Canal Street?

Answer my questions, NX Express, Lance, and CDTA...

If you increase (R) service on the weekends, nothing will happen, since there is no track on Broadway that is at capacity on weekends.

Because of would have to be a very significant delay, like 20 mins or more. Noticing patterns when such a delay happens, usually, the delayed train, when on the move again, will run "express" to catch up to its schedule, a longer delay will usually see a local run express from the previous switch from the delay. Depending on the location of the delay, the location of the switches, and the duration of the delay, odds are, you won't see an E or an F run local.

Still, why can't the dispatcher just send an (E) local when there's a delay in (R) service? Sure, it would be nice if we could increase service on practically every line on the weekends, but I don't know if that's going to happen...

They do that already sometimes in rough situations on the AM rush don't they, when it gets really bottlenecked at the Van Wyck junction or 71st backing all the T/Os up? Or during delays on the R I'm noticing that one of the major issues is that stretch between Union and Roosevelt. Maybe i was just caught up in an unusual morning, but that was my observations that day.

I know I'm talking about weekday service but that may be a good idea. But a permanant E local on weekends not sure. It dies make sense for the E tio run local late nights as the TA has been doing but during the day, not too sure...

Archived