Attention forum posters. Tell me your opinion

Novabus 5000

Should the MTA change the destination signs from green to orange  

1. 1. Should the MTA change the destination signs from green to orange

I would prefer Fire Island red myself......But since it ain't one of the choices, yes to orange......
I would like to see like a sky blue color for LEDs, would look perfect on SBS too...

I voted yes, sucks when I have to get on a bus to find out what route its on @ night.

I think the green isn't visible enough. I've seen thousands of busses and similar vehicles, and orange works better, especially if the actual display is bright and well defined and not obscured in any way.

- Andy

They are suppposed to be replacing the signs on RTS' 4900-5149 from what I was told. Currently 5105 is the only RTS with orange LED's.

(SEPTA) and (NJT), red & tan, and other city/regional busses have orange route signs, and you can see them from quite a distance away, even in pouring rain & light fog. (MTA) busses you gotta be about half a short block away to see for sure, and sometimes less depending on if the cover over the sign is dirty or not, or weather. I think replacing them is a brilliant idea and will save confusion and let people have more time to get ready to board vs waiting on tip toes & disrupting proper boarding/alighting patterns by finding out its not the bus they wanted & coming back out, which i've seen bunches of.

- Andy

(SEPTA) and (NJT), red & tan, and other city/regional busses have orange route signs, and you can see them from quite a distance away, even in pouring rain & light fog. (MTA) busses you gotta be about half a short block away to see for sure, and sometimes less depending on if the cover over the sign is dirty or not, or weather. I think replacing them is a brilliant idea and will save confusion and let people have more time to get ready to board vs waiting on tip toes & disrupting proper boarding/alighting patterns by finding out its not the bus they wanted & coming back out, which i've seen bunches of.

- Andy

Not all buses.

The NJT Nova As (1995-96 buses numbered 2601-2775) have orange signs. The Nova Bs (1999-00 buses numbered 1000-1254, 1262-1576) have some buses that have orange signs (the ones NJT runs themselves, but not all), and then the private all still have the green signs.

The NJT Flxible Metro-Bs and Metro-Ds all have green signs. The only NJT owned Flxible Metro-Ds that have orange signs are the ones at Red & Tan in Hudson County which R&T retrofitted aesys signs into the buses (the numbers are 1754, 1757, 1759, 1778, 1789, 1862-63, and 1868). (The last three Flxible Metro-Bs R&T had, R&T retrofitted aesys signs into them also but NJT retired those buses recently, 3219, 3231, and 3246.)

Most of the NJT MCIs have green signs, the newer MCIs have orange signs.

All the NJT Neoplans have orange signs.

The NJT NABIs will have orange signs.

Not all buses.

The NJT Nova As (1995-96 buses numbered 2601-2775) have orange lights. The Nova Bs (1999-00 buses numbered 1000-1254, 1262-1576) have some buses that have orange lights (the ones NJT runs themselves, but not all), and then the private all still have the green lights.

The NJT Flxible Metro-Bs and Metro-Ds all have green lights. The only NJT owned Flxible Metro-Ds that have orange lights are the ones at Red & Tan in Hudson County which R&T retrofitted aesys signs into the buses (the numbers are 1754, 1757, 1759, 1778, 1789, 1862-63, and 1868). (The last three Flxible Metro-Bs R&T had, R&T retrofitted aesys signs into them also but NJT retired those buses recently, 3219, 3231, and 3246.)

Most of the NJT MCIs have green signs, the newer MCIs have orange signs.

All the NJT Neoplans have orange signs.

The NJT NABIs will have orange signs.

Interesting! Yes, i've seen a few with the green. The orange information display is seemingly very popular with (NJT). They got them on busses, trains, and light rail!

Archived