Caught On Tape: Police Shooting Dog Who Defended Homeless Friend Who Had A

Threxx

The officers behavior in the video is indefensible. There's no excuse for what they did...

Yeah dude I understand what you are saying concerning excessive force and the proper treatment of animals, I'm a big fan of dogs as pets, but what everybody is saying is that:

1) The cop had no choice but to gun the dog down before the dog got him by the throat. On top of that the dog in his rage could have started on a rampage attacking bystanders.

2) Initially the cop did attempt to assess the condition of the man, doing his job to the best of my knowledge, when the dog suddenly lunged at him. All he had time for was to grab the gun instead of fishing in his utility belt for the taser. If he had one to begin with. He only had a few seconds to respond in a knee jerk reaction. Understandable.

3) As others was saying the real issue was the apathy displayed by the public and the police after the fact, not giving attention to or showing the least concern for the man undergoing the seizure. Yes the cops are not doctors but I'm sure they are trained to assist such people in medical emergencies to some extent. At least they didn't just leave the scene, they did wait for the EMTs I'm sure.

3) Nobody's perfect. I'm not even perfect in my assessment of this topic in this post.

And this is coming from a person who tends to be critical on cases of police misconduct. In this case yeah they did their jobs although not perfectly. Can't expect perfection right out of the movies or something.

Everyone feel free to correct me if I got this wrong.

Didn't bother reading the comments here but the police officer is actually justified in this case. The dog was coming at him, who knew if the dog was a carrier of some virus, rabies at that...

Not risking my life because I don't want to hurt a damn dog...

So let's hear what you would do since you obviously know better.

They don't pay me $45k a year with overtime (who am I kidding, $90k a year) to know better. But a general rule, I'd avoid kicking a dog's owner who's passed out cold in the street.

They don't pay me $45k a year with overtime (who am I kidding, $90k a year) to know better. But a general rule, I'd avoid kicking a dog's owner who's passed out cold in the street.

Grow up and answer the question. What would you have done if you were the officer and the dog was about to attack you? Or is this just another chance to bash the NYPD?

Grow up and answer the question. What would you have done if you were the officer and the dog was about to attack you? Or is this just another chance to bash the NYPD?

I'll forget that you're completely ignoring the fact the officers didn't help the man, which would have avoided angering the dog in the first place. But if I were a cop and I had kicked a man passed in the street and his dog was angry at me, I would have used some sort nonlethal force (baton, spray, taser {and the fact that this cop didn't have one is a departmental failure}) to stop the dog. It's sickening how prone the cops are to pulling out guns these days.

I'll forget that you're completely ignoring the fact the officers didn't help the man, which would have avoided angering the dog in the first place. But if I were a cop and I had kicked a man passed in the street and his dog was angry at me, I would have used some sort nonlethal force (baton, spray, taser {and the fact that this cop didn't have one is a departmental failure}) to stop the dog. It's sickening how prone the cops are to pulling out guns these days.

according to the latest statistics from 2010, the NYPD is at an all time LOW in discharging their firearms. only 52 out 0f 35,000 cops fired their weapons in 2010. heres the proof

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/nypd-shootings-all-time-thanks-good-training-article-1.982086

joe

IMO this has been the most logical answer and how a professional should have handled it...going through the chain of command.

I wouldn't have approached the guy on the streets with the dog.

1) I'd have called animal control

2) I'd have called in an ambulance once the dog has been properly taken care of

What dumbass in his right mind would go near a man and his dog?

And feed it a raw diet. It's been proven that in many cases that many dogs can derive nutrients better from raw meat as opposed to cooked meat, as the brittle bones resulting from cooking can choke the dog. Does anyone ever thought about feeding their dogs a raw diet as opposed to processed dog food?

And feed it a raw diet. It's been proven that in many cases that many dogs can derive nutrients better from raw meat as opposed to cooked meat, as the brittle bones resulting from cooking can choke the dog. Does anyone ever thought about feeding their dogs a raw diet as opposed to processed dog food?

That would actually make more sense...since dogs in the wild don't just plop open a can of pedigree lol. However, I don't think my mother would be okay with feeding her dogs raw meat lol.

I really don't think they, the dogs, actually care. my grandparents' dog will try eat just about anything. and I mean anything, indcluding the TV remote (which he then proceded to try to bury in the back yard) and a bic lighter (which resulted in a very loud noise and him hitting the bottom of the dining room table in a panic).

That would actually make more sense...since dogs in the wild don't just plop open a can of pedigree lol. However, I don't think my mother would be okay with feeding her dogs raw meat lol.

With my dog, once he got a taste of actual meat over the processed sh*t, he never ate the processed food ever again. He outright snubbed it and kept begging for meat. So I just feed him meat mixed with some dry food.

I too would love to own a german sheppard. They are so beautiful and loyal.

Archived