Question about F reroute to 53rd street corridor.

alekr

I'm just curious that when the F is rerouted to the 53rd street corridor what is going on the Lex Ave 63rd street station. I know that they are building the 2nd ave subway but what happens to the F station on Lex Ave/63rd street do the workers actually work on the F side or the 2nd ave subway side?

I did saw the 2nd ave subway tunnel it is pretty cool I was on the queens bound F train and I saw a 2nd tunnel light blue in color.

It feels tempting to go and take a peek of the work zone.

I'm just curious that when the F is rerouted to the 53rd street corridor what is going on the Lex Ave 63rd street station. I know that they are building the 2nd ave subway but what happens to the F station on Lex Ave/63rd street do the workers actually work on the F side or the 2nd ave subway side?

I did saw the 2nd ave subway tunnel it is pretty cool I was on the queens bound F train and I saw a 2nd tunnel light blue in color.

It feels tempting to go and take a peek of the work zone.

They work on both sides and well they are building the (Q) side of that platform(behind the plywood) and they seem to of taken out the bricks from the track wall or the (F) and giving other upgrades to the station. Check out (MTA) 's Capital Construction page on SAS. I think they are building a second mezzanine.

53rd Street could get kinda crowded with the (E) and the (M).

Tell me about it. It's total chaos on 53rd, in either direction during the rush. Seems even worse on the PM rush. I mean its packed in a way I can't even describe. Last thing I want to deal with is overpacked trains on the way home from the job.

Like what's the point of the 63rd street line connector to QBL then?

It was the proposed "QBL Super-Express". However, this was never realized so they connected the (F) through 63 to serve there. 53 Street was reaching dangerous crowding at that point.

Back in the days it was the cheapest option that could rid 63rd St. tunnel of it's nickname "tunnel to nowhere", meaning that the trains that would be using this tunnel actually went somewhere useful, instead of serving ~1000 passengers a day.

Remember, the 63 St tunnel serves a good purpose: it allows for the (M) or (V) train to become an extra Manhattan - Queens Blvd route. The other benefit is that since Lexington/53rd can get REALLY crowded, it's good to not have already-crowded (F) trains entering the station. Sure, (G) riders lost out, but I'm guessing that Manhattan - Queens ridership is higher than Brooklyn - Queens ridership.

It was the proposed "QBL Super-Express". However, this was never realized so they connected the (F) through 63 to serve there. 53 Street was reaching dangerous crowding at that point.

Yeah no doubt, the 63rd street tunnel was supposed to connect to the LIRR ROW and merge with the QBL at Union Turnpike. I was just saying what was the point of the 63rd street connector if the purpose of it to relieve crowding on the 53rd street corridor and it's stations was never realized anyway it seems. I meant it in that sense.

Remember, the 63 St tunnel serves a good purpose: it allows for the (M) or (V) train to become an extra Manhattan - Queens Blvd route. The other benefit is that since Lexington/53rd can get REALLY crowded, it's good to not have already-crowded (F) trains entering the station. Sure, (G) riders lost out, but I'm guessing that Manhattan - Queens ridership is higher than Brooklyn - Queens ridership.

True.

Archived