Remember soft cushion seats on local buses?

alekr

Do you remember that some buses had those fancy cushion seats similar to the coach buses. I miss those seats! It was very nice and a comfortable ride when you leaned back. It felt like you was an VIP person sitting on those comfy seats but I'm sad those are gone. I remembered when I was riding with my grandmother on the Q14 we needed to get off the next stop rode one stop and saw those fancy seats I told her can I sit on those?! She said no I was so bummed out.

Is the MTA still using those or it gone?

i remember living in staten island for while. those new buses at the time was cushion on express bus. those buses later took all the soft seat and placed with hard seat. then they transfer it all to local buses. this was way before they decided to get coach style(mci). This was round 1993.

No. MTA is not using those on local buses anymore; only the coach buses has them now.

The only transit bus that still has them AFAIK is bus #746, usually on the B103.

They had them on the Orion VI's as well

No. MTA is not using those on local buses anymore; only the coach buses has them now.

The only transit bus that still has them AFAIK is bus #746, usually on the B103.

746,7215,7218 and 9998 and those are still in service

They had them on the Orion VI's as well

Wasn't it only on the ones NJT ordered?

Yeah, it was only on a couple of the VIs, I remember riding them with normal seats mainly.

Used to be a real treat if you got a local bus with suburban seats, used to occasionally happen to me with Quill RTSes. I used to take the M8 every day, and I can't remember when exactly but there were a few months where almost all the buses had suburban seats, very nice to get for $1.50/whatever the fare was then. Everybody was always thrilled to get the comfier seats. Those ones on the O5s aren't the same type IIRC, they're cushioned like the WMATA rejects were but the NYCT buses were full express bus seats.

A couple of Orion Vs that were lent to Long Island Bus at the end of last year had those nice cushiony seats. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I did board one of them and there was a bunch of brooklyn bus schedules available to take on the bus. It might have been 746, but I do know some of the Orion Vs were retired as soon as they came back into the city.

There are five local buses still with suburban seats: 740, 746, 7215, and 7218 (at Spring Creek) and 9998 (at College Point). No local buses at NYCT have suburban seats anymore, and there are only 2 buses still with remnants of their former express bus lives: 9250 and 9273 (which still have platforms).

Yeah, well you can thank the animals on the local buses from them being removed. They either slash them up or dirty them up and with the amount of traffic on the local buses, it is far more economical to have hard seats. Easier to clean to maintain. They do however still exist on the express buses though.

I remember getting on a B64 once in Bay Ridge with soft seats and almost got stuck in the rear from the coils or whatever that was in the seat sticking out. <_< I looked and the cushion in the seat was completely torn out. Ridiculous.

Yeah, well you can thank the animals on the local buses from them being removed. They either slash them up or dirty them up and with the amount of traffic on the local buses, it is far more economical to have hard seats. Easier to clean to maintain. They do however still exist on the express buses though.

I remember getting on a B64 once in Bay Ridge with soft seats and almost got stuck in the rear from the coils or whatever that was in the seat sticking out. <_< I looked and the cushion in the seat was completely torn out. Ridiculous.

They were actually removed cuz the MCIs started coming in. Once they arrived, there was no need for them for express service anymore.

The Orion Vs on the other hand were inherited into the (MTA) like that and after a while, those weren't needed for express service anymore so many got recycled seats from old 8000s RTS

I think we still have two LFS orders with Suburban seats. I'm going to be sad when they go :(

Yeah, that's definetly why they use them for school tripper service... For get this; PUBLIC SCHOOL! DUN DUN!

Actually, they were removed because buses with narrow aisles between raised platforms aren't well suited for local bus service with standees and heavy on-and-off traffic. They were purchased for express service and then moved to local routes after the MCI's were delivered.

Actually, they were removed because buses with narrow aisles between raised platforms aren't well suited for local bus service with standees and heavy on-and-off traffic. They were purchased for express service and then moved to local routes after the MCI's were delivered.

Well yes this is true, but also wear and tear had to be a contributing factor. Those soft seats on a local bus just get destroyed compared to how long they last on express buses.

Was sending them to local duty solely because of the sheer number of RTSs from 1981-1983 (over 1,000 old RTS buses in local service) that needed to be replaced (which also explained why the best 110 were rebuilt)? I remember that suburbans weren't allowed on the B6 or Q44 for many years.

I used to love it when the 9295-9341 were at Ulmer Park, thats all I would ride on the B3 cuz i never got aything else, and a lot on the B36 as well, and they were also popular on the B4, i just HATED those narrow alises and when i got one on the B3 or B36 in rush hour, i remember i got 9310 IIRC back in 2007 on the B36 coming back from CI, and I ad to stand in the iasle the whole way and those outward facing seats when i was very young i almost fell out of them. Oh how i miss them, and look at what LGA has done to that part of the fleet.

I also enjoyed getting thse EX Command 700's over the past 1.5 years in the B100.

I hated these, they seemed to live on the Q85 during the most crowded periods. You can barely hold onto anything. Lol that green sponge stuff inside the seats used to be all over the place.

I can't count how many times I couldn't even make my way off the bus so I'd end up getting off at Jamaica Center (the last stop).

Archived