Subway Travel Time Charts

TheSubwayStation

Recently, I came up with the idea to make a new type of schedule format based on the MTA's schedules. The MTA apparently used to print this kind of chart during the 1990s. The purpose of it is to let you easily figure out how long it would take to travel from one station to another station anywhere on a subway line.

I started working on one for the (D) line:

https://docs.google....dJRWFQZHc#gid=0

What do you guys think of this idea? It seems pretty good, but it's really time-consuming to type in a different formula for every single cell of the spreadsheet. Is there anyone who's experienced with spreadsheets and could tell me an easier formula that applies to more than one cell at a time? Or does none exist?

Thanks,

TSS

There is an easier way...put in all the constants then put the formula below in A3, then copy paste to all the other variable cells and Excel should do the rest for you. Note that if A1 is not the first station name then things get really complicated.

=A2+INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(A3),ROW(A3)-1))

There is an easier way...put in all the constants then put the formula below in A3, then copy paste to all the other variable cells and Excel should do the rest for you. Note that if A1 is not the first station name then things get really complicated.

=A2+INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(A3),ROW(A3)-1))

THANK YOU! I'll try that out...Does that code also work for Google Docs Spreadsheets (which I was using)? If not, I think I have Excel on my computer...

THANK YOU! I'll try that out...Does that code also work for Google Docs Spreadsheets (which I was using)? If not, I think I have Excel on my computer...

Not a clue, I only use Google Docs as a hosting service and never make non-visual edits on it.

I see. So even if I use your code, I'll have to modify the code for each cell? My hope was that I could be able to paste the same code into each variable cell.

No...Excel should modify the "A2" and "A3" automatically for you if you copy and paste...

I got the times from this website:

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/index.php

I'm almost 100 percent confident that this site gets its info from GTFS, though. Yes, schedules do vary depending on time of day. Rush hour travel times are longer. My charts are based on early morning schedules from around 6:00 to 7:00 AM.

BTW, I'll be keeping all of my completed charts in this folder, so you can check this for updates:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2SOSjyroaotczNxZy1KY3c5akU/edit?pli=1

Archived