Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CenSin

How far would you go to avoid the Montague Street tunnel?

I was heading home from Union Square, and realizing that all the Broadway trains were running via the tunnel, I took the arriving uptown (Q) instead to 34 Street–Herald Square before transferring to a (D) that came a few minutes later. The (Q) going up and waiting for the (D) probably cost me a few minutes (since there was an (N) to Coney Island at the same time I boarded the (Q)), but there's always the psychological satisfaction of going the long way just to skip a bunch of stations.

According to the MTA's schedules, it takes anywhere from 11 to 13 minutes for a train to get from Atlantic Avenue–Bayclays Center to Canal Street (or the other way around). The same trains via the tunnel takes 17 to 21 minutes.

How far would you go to avoid that tunnel detour?

I would have just took the train via the tunnel. Few stations, big whoop.

Worst come to worse, I could of just taken the 4 to Atlantic.

Well, I used to take the (N) and (Q) to Brooklyn for school, so unless a GO happened, I did not take it.

Not worth it. Few extra stop. Big deal. by the time you do the detour you wasted more time looking for faster routes that can lead to bigger wait time. like you said you took the train up then you had to walk over to the other platform at that station stop. then you need to wait for that train to come in. by the time you add all that you create more time to your clock. the only way to make time seem shorter is if the train is across the platform not somewhere else in subway station connection.. I rather stay on one train because by trying to beat that train you was on, may been the same train you was on few minutes ago.

• Upvote 2

Over 20 years ago, when they were doing these G.O.s all the time (they didn't know if the bridge would last back then) and the D squeezed in to go all the way to 57th, and the tunnel seemed to be really slow all the time when it was the M, (N) and (R), and I worked on the weekends and dreaded the tunnel; I would often treat myself and shell out the extra $ in the morning to take the Command Bus.

I wouldn't go out of the way to avoid the Montague, especially since there's no flagging there (the work's on the bridge). The only GO's worth circumventing are long expresses next to flagging (the (2) in the Bronx) or shuttle busings.

Edited by Amtrak7
  • Upvote 2

I would always take the (N) instead of the (R) since it saves me up to 15 mins of travel time since it takes 20 min to travel from 59st to Canalst in either way while the (R) takes 35 min from Canalst to 59st. If one is traveling between Princest and 86st and missed an (R) but an (N) came 2 min later that person can catch the (R) train he or she missed at 59st.

I actually don't avoid anything, I just go where I prefer to ride, sometimes I specifically ride Montague when I want a slightly slower ride to Bay Ridge or Downtown Brooklyn, or the other direction, Queens and Manhattan in general. Usually, I must have a snack or something to consume when I pick Montague.

Hmm....

When things are right, the tunnel should only take a couple minutes more. The reality is that the Broadway line is so bunched north of Canal and the signaling is so slow that delays getting on to the bridge will cancel any real time difference.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been on trains delayed at both DeKalb av and on the bridge--it's just ultra frustrating...

Last week I timed the (Q) going through Montague (NB)....it took 15 minutes to get from DeKalb from to Canal.

Again, if things are right in the tunnel, it should take at most 4-5 more minutes than the bridge. Sometimes, it might be less.

There's the MTA for you.

Keep in mind few times a year the (N) (Not counting regular overnight service replacing the R) and (Q) is re-routed to the Tunnel due to inspection by the NYC and NYS DOT inspections on the bridge. As someone else said(I had to use the old (W) in early 2000's as only bway line running to Stillwell during when CI Terminal was also being rebulit) it only adds an extra 5-7 minutes to trip if no other delays. In NYC that 5 minutes is a lifetime lol but again leave 10 minutes early during these go's Censin as i can say.

I was heading home from Union Square, and realizing that all the Broadway trains were running via the tunnel, I took the arriving uptown (Q) instead to 34 Street–Herald Square before transferring to a (D) that came a few minutes later. The (Q) going up and waiting for the (D) probably cost me a few minutes (since there was an (N) to Coney Island at the same time I boarded the (Q)), but there's always the psychological satisfaction of going the long way just to skip a bunch of stations.

According to the MTA's schedules, it takes anywhere from 11 to 13 minutes for a train to get from Atlantic Avenue–Bayclays Center to Canal Street (or the other way around). The same trains via the tunnel takes 17 to 21 minutes.

How far would you go to avoid that tunnel detour?

Generally speaking in response the the OP, its the D train I need to fly out of South Brooklyn uptown to the Bronx. Not a bad ride, just be patient, it will take one hour and change. But otherwise if I must go ito Manhattan then whatever I'll take the one through the tunnel to Whitehall or just get to the Brooklyn IRT uptown from 4th avenue..

I am not into making a bunch of transfers, or going in the opposite direction to avoid a tunnel, or bridge. I took the (Q) via tunnel yesterday, and today. No problem.

The D was much more crowded than normal all weekend since it was the only express running over the bridge. I used the D all weekend instead of the N and Q.

The view over the Manhattan Bridge is nice indeed. Otherwise yeah I wouldn't fret if I had to take the tunnel due to diversions or whatever.

I think the montague tunnel is very good since the (R) is on its own.No merging or anything like that.

Now if only more service can be added to the R with the potential for high capacity on this tunnel. It would work without drastically changing N express service via 4th Ave in the process.Not saying it's going to happen with the extran funds. But that N is popular I believe because its a fast way to Canal and 14th street, two hotspots. And vice versa. The MTA got money now, albeit not so much that they can make improvements to every single line but yeah.

Edited by realizm

According to the MTA's schedules, the tunnel adds on 9 minutes.

Sure, on paper. But I personally have not seen this unless there were delays within the tunnel.

Sometimes going over the bridge is fool's gold. I have been delayed at Dekalb and the bridge so much it's not even funny. Lots of times, those delays will negate any real time difference.

Something needs to be done about the signaling and service arrangements on the Broadway line....

If you consider wait time for service to avoid tunnel, its prob a wash. Listen to another song on the ipod & forget about the time..

Edited by Rapid Transit TO