I'm a Bargain Basement Boss at the MTA

Clinton

During a recent presentation to the Board, MTA Chief Financial Officer Robert Foran proclaimed that transit employees must “begin” to make sacrifices in order to help balance the budget.

You would think that he would be cognizant of the fact that supervisors at the MTA, represented by the weak Subway-Surface Supervisors Association, are currently working four years under an expired contract that includes an outlandishly generous contract concession whereas newly appointed recruits must earn only 80 percent of top salary for a period of three years.

It is unconscionable that a supervisor should be forced to earn a pay rate lower than that of three levels of his/her subordinates. Where else other than the MTA does a promotion and salary increase fail to coincide, let alone having that compounded by a substantial wage reduction. The very concept is unfathomable.

We have been deprived of the prestige, excitement and financial peace of mind generally associated with a traditional career advancement. At the very least the contract should have included a stipulation that would allow “promotion” recipients to retain the salary rates from their previous titles which are still far less than that of a supervisor but would be more bearable.

How much more demoralizing embarrassment, mental anguish and financial hardship does Mr. Foran expect us to endure?

>Train Dispatcher

Essentially, employees are expected to act like we own some mom & pop business & sacrifice, while MTA writes contracts for millions to contractors & vendors. It's even more sickening when scaning through MTA payroll records on SeeThroughNY.com that NYCT employees are the LOWEST paid of all agencies, yet move MOST of the MTA's customer base on a daily basis.. I believe mass transit in NYC nees to be redefined as a city 'necessity' service as NYPD, NYFD, & Sanitation, not some 'luxury' benefit for the city before we see any respect come our way from management.

I finally have to say that instead of blaming the TWU, I think the big wigs has to remove their big wigs, and start getting real on salaries, they should be getting the same benefits and same things at these supervisors and railroad employees, no matter their rankings. As for pay, not a mile away, close to these folks as possible, no exceptions, no excuse!

Archived