Authorities rush to assess damage from Second Ave. subway blast

Harry

You get what you pay for....

lol... The funny thing is that they keep saying that the contractors are well respected in the industry. I worked in the construction industry for a few years, and I am familiar with at least one of the GCs (General Contractors) on the project (Schiavone). Just because a GC is big doesn't mean that they're necessarily well respected. If I recall correctly they've had issues before. In any event, like you said, you get what you pay for. These days everyone wants CHEAP, not quality, so the lowest bid wins.

lol... The funny thing is that they keep saying that the contractors are well respected in the industry. I worked in the construction industry for a few years, and I am familiar with at least one of the GCs (General Contractors) on the project (Schiavone). Just because a GC is big doesn't mean that they're necessarily well respected. If I recall correctly they've had issues before. In any event, like you said, you get what you pay for. These days everyone wants CHEAP, not quality, so the lowest bid wins.

I worked in the Industry as well for 8 years before coming down here when we worked a job and they was the GC we made sure they was on point with chit.. They can get down and dirty in a sec....

I worked in the Industry as well for 8 years before coming down here when we worked a job and they was the GC we made sure they was on point with chit.. They can get down and dirty in a sec....

LOL... You know it is... You have to be on those guys otherwise they'll take advantage.

The real issue here is not enough is being done to protect the community. Not enough questions being answered and not enough precautions being taken and not enough being done to compensate the loss that this community is dealing with. Yes, the SAS must be done, but the neighborhood doesn't have to be destroyed in the process.

That is a good point to consider.

Well it's just interesting that this project has had so many issues... Haven't heard of any issues with the (7) line extension nor the LIRR East Side project where people are fleeing for their lives or fearful for their health, if that's what you call an "inconvenience". Because this is the Upper East Side they're told that they complain too much for being concerned about air quality, noise pollution (yes there is such a thing), and debris flying about and dust; that this is the way things are and basically that they should suck it up and accept it, which is ridiculous. The impact that the (MTA) is having on the area will affect them for YEARS to come well after the (MTA) is gone (whenever that is). I don't know of any construction site where residents should be fleeing for cover from debris and rocks flying about, do you? If this "the norm" then clearly the (MTA) should've taken more steps to block off areas that are in harms way.

Yeah cause that crane collapse that killed one person definetly didn't happen.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, things do happen, but whether you want to blame the (MTA) or the contractors working under the (MTA), someone should be held responsible and someone should have answers and lately no one seems to have any. Still didn't quite hear anything about the air problems. It's like it was swept under the rug. It seems like when they come into communities, often times they just do as they please with little regard to the impact that they have and your stance seems to be that because the (MTA) has to do construction work, that these communities should just allow them to come into their neighborhoods and do as they please. Sorry but I disagree. It isn't just the Upper East Side. It has been various communities where the (MTA) has had to come in and did construction work and have done nothing but create chaos (i.e. Bay Ridge). For all the talk that you give, I don't think you would be so quick to say that they should suck it up if this was happening in your community.

They built air filters arounf the construction site. Yeah, it might not solve all of the problems, but that's pretty much all you can do.

Yeah cause that crane collapse that killed one person definetly didn't happen.

They built air filters arounf the construction site. Yeah, it might not solve all of the problems, but that's pretty much all you can do.

All they can do... All they want to do... Residents are still complaining about the air quality and the (MTA) seems to try to sweep an important issue under the rug.

All they can do... All they want to do... Residents are still complaining about the air quality and the (MTA) seems to try to sweep an important issue under the rug.

Ok then Mr. Contractor, what would YOU do?

And you know this because? Buildings were deemed to be sound but buildings were indeed damaged... Broken glass everywhere... Residents have been complaining about cracks in their walls and are concerned about the foundation of the buildings they live in now due to the constant blasting. Allegations of damages were also made when the (MTA) undertook work on the Brighton Line. Windows broken, backyards messed up... Of course no one wants to pay for damages if they can get away with them so you try to keep things hush, which is exactly what the (MTA) has been doing. Now Joe Lhota has said that an investigation will be done as to what went wrong (apparently reports say that worker error was to blame), but I want to see what the end result of this investigation will be.

Just your average upper-east sider complaining. Upper-west-siders are worse...

For starters, I would NOT be "inviting" people to come over to the construction site like the moron did that was working on site.

I'm reffering to the air qaulity issue. Besides the filters, what else would you do?

You know, I wanna say that I wouldn't have done that either, but to be honest, if I knew something was about to blow up, I wouldv'e done that. As a matter of fact, it probably happend before, but nobody complained, because nothing went wrong.

Just your average upper-east sider complaining. Upper-west-siders are worse...

Oh really, now?

Well it's just interesting that this project has had so many issues... Haven't heard of any issues with the (7) line extension nor the LIRR East Side project where people are fleeing for their lives or fearful for their health, if that's what you call an "inconvenience". Because this is the Upper East Side they're told that they complain too much for being concerned about air quality, noise pollution (yes there is such a thing), and debris flying about and dust; that this is the way things are and basically that they should suck it up and accept it, which is ridiculous. The impact that the (MTA) is having on the area will affect them for YEARS to come well after the (MTA) is gone (whenever that is). I don't know of any construction site where residents should be fleeing for cover from debris and rocks flying about, do you? If this "the norm" then clearly the (MTA) should've taken more steps to block off areas that are in harms way.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, things do happen, but whether you want to blame the (MTA) or the contractors working under the (MTA), someone should be held responsible and someone should have answers and lately no one seems to have any. Still didn't quite hear anything about the air problems. It's like it was swept under the rug. It seems like when they come into communities, often times they just do as they please with little regard to the impact that they have and your stance seems to be that because the (MTA) has to do construction work, that these communities should just allow them to come into their neighborhoods and do as they please. Sorry but I disagree. It isn't just the Upper East Side. It has been various communities where the (MTA) has had to come in and did construction work and have done nothing but create chaos (i.e. Bay Ridge). For all the talk that you give, I don't think you would be so quick to say that they should suck it up if this was happening in your community.

It's been like two issues in the whole construction process. Aside from that, the ESA involves tracks going through the Sunnyside Yards, under the (F) train (which is already pretty deep), and into Grand Central. They're not doing a whole lot of drilling in a dense residential area. The (7) extension is into a low-population area, so obviously there are going to be fewer complaints.

And when did the MTA do contruction in Bay Ridge?

For starters, I would NOT be "inviting" people to come over to the construction site like the moron did that was working on site.

First of all, that has nothing to do with air quality.

Second of all, it's one worker. You think the contractor went around and said "Alright, whenever we blow something up, I want as many people as possible to see it, so I need you to go around and ask passerby if they want to see something cool"?

@Via G: You do know that incidents like this one are very far and few in between for this project, right? The only other incident that I can remember that is pretty serious (besides the noise complaints) was when that dust was billowing out from underground. Also, you do realize this is a construction zone, right? People are going to be inconvenienced. It isn't the 18th hole at a golf course. It's not going to be that quiet and unfortunately, some businesses may fall under because of less foot traffic. Things like that really can't be remedied unless the project is cancelled. And that's not an option.

While this is true, this incident will give more ammunition to all the NIMBYs next time the (MTA) tries to go build anything in their neighborhoods.

And you know this because? Buildings were deemed to be sound but buildings were indeed damaged... Broken glass everywhere... Residents have been complaining about cracks in their walls and are concerned about the foundation of the buildings they live in now due to the constant blasting. Allegations of damages were also made when the (MTA) undertook work on the Brighton Line. Windows broken, backyards messed up... Of course no one wants to pay for damages if they can get away with them so you try to keep things hush, which is exactly what the (MTA) has been doing. Now Joe Lhota has said that an investigation will be done as to what went wrong (apparently reports say that worker error was to blame), but I want to see what the end result of this investigation will be.

Whoa you mean when they were they were rehabing the Brighton Stations 2009-2011 they damaged things didn't know that. :wacko: and yea there was a news clip about a woman complaing and showing the cracks in her apartment from SAS blasting.

Archived