Countdown the retirement of R62A/R62

depotofrelax

But recently i still. But the time year 2023 - 2027 come 11 - 14 years from. The recent plan was to keep oriongnal plan couples years ago maybe 3 years ago. The recent plan was right after R62 does retire. It wont be into service. It would be used as work equipment cars. Why would they like R62A / R62 have good air conditioner can bus work equipment cars. When R33 - R36 still be use as work equipment not good. By the time year 2023 come. R62 should consider start as work equipment cars

Until the capital money is allocated and the contracts signed, I'm not going to start fretting that the R62/62A's will be disappearing.

With the state of New York facing an ongoing fiscal crisis, I think the money for transit capital programs is going to get tighter in the future. There's a decent chance that the 62's will be in service longer than the MTA currently plans.

Why are we concerned about this now? The R62's still have plenty of time left...

Exactly, "countdown" is the wrong word for something more than a decade from now. If you count down every day until then, you're gonna have a long few years.

Until the capital money is allocated and the contracts signed, I'm not going to start fretting that the R62/62A's will be disappearing.

With the state of New York facing an ongoing fiscal crisis, I think the money for transit capital programs is going to get tighter in the future. There's a decent chance that the 62's will be in service longer than the MTA currently plans.

Eh, it's getting better more than it's getting worse. The state budget is balanced and the whole country is oh so slowly on the move up. Unless there's a mass world mess (complete Eurozpne crash, say), I wouldn't count on things getting TOO much worse than they currently are. The return of service on so many lines and the G extension were signs of the fact the MTA is taking steps forward again. All that said, I would agree they'll probably be in service longer than expected, just since technology and maintenance gets more capable over time, and we're seeing trains and buses outliving life expectancies all the time now (R32s to 50 years, RTSes to 20 years).

Eh, it's getting better more than it's getting worse. The state budget is balanced and the whole country is oh so slowly on the move up.

Not really - New York has huge unfunded pension liabilities (possibly over $200 billion statewide) and will also be facing major increases in Medicaid and healthcare related expenses as Obamacare kicks in. Taking on additional bond debt is also likely to be constrained by the payments the MTA and the state still owe for past borrowing. Just as federal money for transportation projects has gotten tighter, I expect Albany is going to have fewer dollars at its disposal to send the MTA's way.

Not really - New York has huge unfunded pension liabilities (possibly over $200 billion statewide) and will also be facing major increases in Medicaid and healthcare related expenses as Obamacare kicks in. Taking on additional bond debt is also likely to be constrained by the payments the MTA and the state still owe for past borrowing. Just as federal money for transportation projects has gotten tighter, I expect Albany is going to have fewer dollars at its disposal to send the MTA's way.

You have to look at that relatively though, it's only been recently that people have even mentioned the 800 pound pension liabilities-elephant in the room, so the unaccounted money there is no more unfunded than it has been for the past few years. But more importantly, iirc, our funding rate isn't awful, I believe it's something like a 90% fund rate, which is drastically better than most states. So if you do that "count" that unfunded money, the state isn't doing as awfully as say, New Jersey, economically. As for the health care, that's without doubt an issue and I've got members of my owm family whose health care is essentially unfunded since the city and/or state haven't been taking care of it -- and that's scary. But the point is, that's not new. Those liabilities have always been there, and it's been the budget around it that's been stabilizing. It just doesn't strike me as as grim as it could be, just since the budget is better balanced than the past years when we still had those same liabilities, and on top that, the fund rate isn't that terrible. Regarding bond debt, these numbers have always been high and are always set to go higher, and while that's wrong, I don't think you can say that's particularly unique to moment. Honeslty, I think funding is looking better than it did a few years ago in the height of the debt and much better than the Pataki/Giuliani reign, if not as good as it did in the early days of the TA.

Some of those A/Cs don't work... The R32s are better than the R62s.

1. The R32s also had A/C issues (as we all know) before the SMS. Remember, the R62/As are going through SMS too, and the post-SMS cars aren't having issues AFAIK.

2. Also, how the heck does the A/C, a replaceable component, have anything to do with whether the cars are good or bad?

How about the riders that do not like buckets seat. Some R62A have been installed with perwinkle seat as R142/R143/R160/ next R179. I do not like the bucket seat. When R46 will be retire. The remaining bucket seat on the remaining subway car is R142/R143/R160/R179. i hope there wont be no bucket seat as R211 replace R46. But the A/C is the main issue on R62A. example why rider were upset on R32 on C line. The air conditioner does not work during summer? it also effect R62A/R62 a feeling.

How about the riders that do not like buckets seat. Some R62A have been installed with perwinkle seat as R142/R143/R160/ next R179. I do not like the bucket seat.

The periwinkle seats on the R62/As are also bucket seats. Just because you don't like the seats doesn't mean that they're bad trains.
When R46 will be retire. The remaining bucket seat on the remaining subway car is R142/R143/R160/R179.
We don't know when the R46s will retire. The R142/3/160/179 don't have bucket seats.
i hope there wont be no bucket seat as R211 replace R46. But the A/C is the main issue on R62A. example why rider were upset on R32 on C line. The air conditioner does not work during summer? it also effect R62A/R62 a feeling.

I don't see why the R211s would have bucket seats, because they weren't popular. Solution to the A/C problem: replace the A/C units. That's what the MTA is doing, BTW.

Lets not talk about this It's getting me nervous :unsure: .

Anyways we have about 13-16 years left with them who knows if the (MTA) will replace them by then.

R62/R62As FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!

This thread is creepying me out as well. Besides, the A Division R62/62As and B Division R68/68As will go when the (MTA) announces their retirement and replacements. They're too young to leave, they have more years in service.

:lock:

Archived