Sept. 2012 Bus Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess since they're supposed to have a hearing to discontinue Saturday service, this is their alternative: Just keep chopping away at the weekday service.

When they finally merge with NYCT, it'll probably be good-bye to all off-peak service, maybe even on the BM1.

And the S59 expansion is definitely related to the S79 +SBS+. I guess the express bus trips being added are just due to increasing ridership in general.

All 5 BM-routes are seeing weekday midday headway widenings. The only route seeing Saturday cutbacks is the BM5, inbound ends an hour earlier, outbound starts an hour later.

BM5 weekday last inbound trip leaves Spring Creek 12:35 now.

It's reducing the service to basically unusable. Just widen the Saturday to every 2 hours on all routes and keep the weekday as is!

and once again... NO LIMITED SERVICE on SUNDAYS on the B6.. I just don't understand that how the B35 can get 7 days limited service and the B6 only gets 6 days a week limited service. But great to know that I can catch a B6 limited on Flatbush and Nostrand at 10pm on a weeknight.

@checkmate: The MTA is desperate need to cut off peak service on the BM lines. The problem is that Brooklyn riders especially the BM riders don't speak out on the cuts, than their Bronx and Queens counterparts. Another problem is that Brooklyn is growing, but NOT in the areas where express buses (BM)'s are being served. You always hear a politician from 1 of those 2 boros mentioned speak out on lack of service that the MTA is bringing on the express buses.

@checkmate: The MTA is desperate need to cut off peak service on the BM lines. The problem is that Brooklyn riders especially the BM riders don't speak out on the cuts, than their Bronx and Queens counterparts. Another problem is that Brooklyn is growing, but NOT in the areas where express buses (BM)'s are being served. You always hear a politician from 1 of those 2 boros mentioned speak out on lack of service that the MTA is bringing on the express buses.

If they don't speak out on the cuts, great. Hold a sham public hearing and go! If they do comment, restore x28 weekend service in return.

More weekday service in return of chopping weekend service smh

If those off peak BM routes get cut, Id imagine certain MTA QM and BxMbuses that might get the boot

coughbcoughxcoughmcough6cough

I can tell off the bat.. QM21 would get the AX. ALL college point express routes would be safe. LaGuardia on the other hand, that's another story. The only BxM I could see getting a major decrease of service is Parkchester to Midtown.. BxM6.

Only thing I'm stumped on is that the other BM routes have much more potential for this service than the BM4

No, it's the opposite: They're keeping weekend service the same and cutting off-peak service.

As for the BxM6, they'd probably try to combine it with the BxM10. (That was directed as Q23)

All 5 BM-routes are seeing weekday midday headway widenings. The only route seeing Saturday cutbacks is the BM5, inbound ends an hour earlier, outbound starts an hour later.

It's reducing the service to basically unusable. Just widen the Saturday to every 2 hours on all routes and keep the weekday as is!

The thing is that it would mean more than 25% of the service would be cut, which would require a public hearing. If you're going to do that, you might as well cut 100% of the service while you're at it.

Well, I never said it was necessarily a bad thing. I mean, for the BM4 & BM5, they were a waste, so you're better off applying the funds to another service. The only one that's really 100% necessary is the BM1 and maybe the BM2. For the most part, the BM3 parallels the (Q) train, and if somebody really wanted to, they could take the B44 or B49 up to the BM1/2.

I can tell off the bat.. QM21 would get the AX. ALL college point express routes would be safe. LaGuardia on the other hand, that's another story. The only BxM I could see getting a major decrease of service is Parkchester to Midtown.. BxM6.

The X63 is losing ridership, so they might try and merge the QM21 with it.

Well, I never said it was necessarily a bad thing. I mean, for the BM4 & BM5, they were a waste, so you're better off applying the funds to another service. The only one that's really 100% necessary is the BM1 and maybe the BM2. For the most part, the BM3 parallels the (Q) train, and if somebody really wanted to, they could take the B44 or B49 up to the BM1/2.

The X63 is losing ridership, so they might try and merge the QM21 with it.

@checkmate: I partially agree, however the 63 travels a different path than the QM21 once in Jamaica.

Now to the BM3 situation: Not in anyone's right mind that any sheepshead bay rider will sit on the B44/49 to catch the BM1 and BM2.

There are no proper connections for Manhattan bound BM1 on Avenue K from the B44. and BM2 at the Junction.. The stop on the junction (going to Manhattan) got eliminated 4 years ago. So technically speaking the BM3 is a story of its own.

@checkmate: I partially agree, however the 63 travels a different path than the QM21 once in Jamaica.

Now to the BM3 situation: Not in anyone's right mind that any sheepshead bay rider will sit on the B44/49 to catch the BM1 and BM2.

There are no proper connections for Manhattan bound BM1 on Avenue K from the B44. and BM2 at the Junction.. The stop on the junction (going to Manhattan) got eliminated 4 years ago. So technically speaking the BM3 is a story of its own.

In the past, somebody came up with a way to combine them that looked fairly straightforward. I think they had it going down Farmers & Merrick after it served Rochdale.

As for the BM1, they could try moving the stop by East 29th Street a block over, and then adding a stop further down if necessary.

I'm not so sure that the CP express routes are safe from cutbacks...all this week I've seen traffic checkers on the QM1/5/6. Tis being the end of. August, a lot of the runs are much emptier than usual because many people are on vacation.

I'm wondering if the MTA is trying to show that certain runs are underused by doing these passanger counts when the buses will be emptier than usual. If that's not the reason, the MTA is just dumb to measure ridership this week.

Sucks what they doing to the B6 by making the LTDs only go to Rock Park and the locals do the whole route

and once again... NO LIMITED SERVICE on SUNDAYS on the B6.. I just don't understand that how the B35 can get 7 days limited service and the B6 only gets 6 days a week limited service. But great to know that I can catch a B6 limited on Flatbush and Nostrand at 10pm on a weeknight.

Have you been on the 35 lately? That line needs as much help as it can get

In the past, somebody came up with a way to combine them that looked fairly straightforward. I think they had it going down Farmers & Merrick after it served Rochdale.

Here's the thread you're referring to: http://www.nyctransi...s/page__st__200

Mysterious2Train drew a map of the suggested routing that took place in that discussion: http://i1178.photobu...X63combomap.png

Okay now why cut more BM5 service. I'm a user of the QM15 but use the BM5 also I'm case I miss the QM15 or if I want to use the shorter way to Woodhaven Blvd to transfer to the Q38 at 63 drive. Well so much for BM5

Mysterious2Train drew a map of the suggested routing that took place in that discussion: http://i1178.photobu...X63combomap.png

I actually would make the route go up farmers and them on Merrick Blvd regular route and vice versa

I'm not so sure that the CP express routes are safe from cutbacks...all this week I've seen traffic checkers on the QM1/5/6. Tis being the end of. August, a lot of the runs are much emptier than usual because many people are on vacation.

I'm wondering if the MTA is trying to show that certain runs are underused by doing these passanger counts when the buses will be emptier than usual. If that's not the reason, the MTA is just dumb to measure ridership this week.

Then eliminate the QM1 off peak service and combine them with QM5 service, and adjust the QM5 off peak weekday schedule. It is possible and then you can have more riders per bus on the QM5, and get rid of the Off peak QM1. That idea can save money, and there still would be seats left, because the average midday QM5 ridership is 10-12 riders and the average QM1 midday ridership is about 6-7 riders. Cost per rider is less

I actually would make the route go up farmers and them on Merrick Blvd regular route and vice versa

Then eliminate the QM1 off peak service and combine them with QM5 service, and adjust the QM5 off peak weekday schedule. It is possible and then you can have more riders per bus on the QM5, and get rid of the Off peak QM1. That idea can save money, and there still would be seats left, because the average midday QM5 ridership is 10-12 riders and the average QM1 midday ridership is about 6-7 riders. Cost per rider is less

QM1 and QM3 is the most at dangered. Have saturday and sunday removed on the QM15 and QM4.

Have you been on the 35 lately? That line needs as much help as it can get

I think the issue is the usefulness of the B35 limited. A few users have mentioned that it's no faster than the local. Limited service doesn't necessarily mean more frequent service. (I have no opinion on this, but I'm just saying what others have said)

Yeah, I figured it was him. He seems to be one of the few people who's mastered the usage of that map-creating software.

In any case, that routing looks good, since people mentioned a lot of the ridership comes from Rosedale.

Well I've learned some interesting things about Gerritsen Beach express bus riders. Apparently some of them use the BM3 because it runs later to and from the city. The problem is that the stops that were somewhat close to Gerritsen Beach were taken away (I do recall being happy when this happened since it made my commute MUCH quicker on the BM3 from Shore Blvd) to make the commute faster for BM3 riders, to which some Gerritsen Beach residents protested. I think it is a good idea for me to contact Senator Golden about this to see if anything can be done to make both communities happy by providing more service or combining routes or something. It does no good to keep chopping away at BM4 service which is one reason why folks are flocking to the other BM express buses, leaving the BM4 with fewer riders. The problem is that the disabled folks that use the BM4 have been protesting saying that with the discontinued stops, their commute via the express bus has been even more difficult now and they also don't feel safe waiting at the BM3 express bus stop by the projects there by Batchelder.

And speaking of 126th street, man that depot is a DUMP. The (MTA) should have monies set aside to keep up their depots better, esp. when they're in dense communities like Harlem. They're not helping the image over there with that run down depot. Weeds all over place, sidewalks all cracked up. Horrible.

That's why it's being rebuilt in 2013 and is being replaced w/Amsterdam and MCH...

I can't believe they're sending the B6 to ENY... what good will come out of such a split????

Archived