Sept. 2012 Bus Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

questions:

1)why is the BM4 getting a 70 min headway because i thought all express routes has a maximum of 1 hr in waiting for a bus

and both BM4 and BM5 ends early on saturdays

*not to go off topic but same for 1 queens Local route: Why is the Q103 the only route that takes 1 hour for a bus on middays?

1. Because there isn't demand for more service on the BM4 or BM5. The BM1/2/3 have much more ridership.

2. Because there isn't demand either... but the Q103 is a worthless POS anyway...

I think it applies to all the BM routes, not just the BM4/5. They can't cut more than 25% of the runs at a time, so they're slowly chipping away at the service. That's why I said before that off-peak service on those routes might be gone if/when MTAB & NYCT merge.

The B35 LTD isn't useful, not because of it making every stop between Flatbush Avenue & New York Avenue, but it's because you're dealing with one lane in each direction basically which makes every bus stuck in traffic. Imagine if Church Avenue was more like Utica Avenue south of Empire Blvd., then you can see a difference with how the LTDs work, with a little tweaking to the stops LTDs make, service can speed up.

I actually spoke to my boy (another op at JG), and he mentioned something about eliminating stops like New York Avenue & and maybe Bedford/Rogers Avenue, suggesting the locals can handle those stops. Basically it would be, going east - E. 18th -> Flatbush Avenue -> Nostrand Avenue -> then E. 42nd Street. Now the times I've been on the B35, I'm not sure how much usage E. 42nd Street stop gets, but if it's low usuage, why not eliminate it as an LTD stop, and let the locals handle it, which would actually be a super stretch between Nostrand Avenue to Utica Avenue -- 20 block stretch. Too much? lol

As for the B6 LTD short turns at Rockaway Pkwy Station, I think it may be miscommunication; perhaps they're implementing what's already done on the B44 (every other LTD short-turns at Flushing Avenue) and 46 (every other LTD short turns at Dekalb Avenue, and some at Eastern Parkway) routes - short turning every other limited bus at Rockaway. It wouldn't make any sense having the locals run the entire route.

The B35 LTD isn't useful, not because of it making every stop between Flatbush Avenue & New York Avenue, but it's because you're dealing with one lane in each direction basically which makes every bus stuck in traffic......

I actually spoke to my boy (another op at JG), and he mentioned something about eliminating stops like New York Avenue & and maybe Bedford/Rogers Avenue, suggesting the locals can handle those stops. Basically it would be, going east - E. 18th -> Flatbush Avenue -> Nostrand Avenue -> then E. 42nd Street.

Now the times I've been on the B35, I'm not sure how much usage E. 42nd Street stop gets, but if it's low usuage, why not eliminate it as an LTD stop, and let the locals handle it, which would actually be a super stretch between Nostrand Avenue to Utica Avenue -- 20 block stretch. Too much? lol

The both of them put together why this stinkin 35 LTD isn't useful; all the stops it makes b/w E. 18th & NY av is a factor (yes, I know it skips ocean).....

For all I care, they can get rid of LTD service period..... but your b/o friend @ JG is right about NY & Rogers....

Usage at the 42nd st stop isn't any lower than either rogers av stop, I'll tell you that much.... having to pickup/dropoff w/e few pax @ Rogers av is a slowdown for all the riders tryna get to/from the either subway (brighton line, nostrand av line).... so IMO, if it's anywhere the MTA should start looking to eliminate LTD stops if they think it'll help, it's @ Rogers...

That's comparable to walking. :o

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.

He's asking what route do the vans take that they get you to East 18th Street in half the time of the B35.

What are you my personal translator?

Well the QM4 & 6 off peak service should merge. That would serve more people on less buses and some stops too close to subway get the axe. New routing can use LIE < Van wyck < jewel ave to 164th then union tpk.

The MTA seems to have realized the M60 sucks, it's (relatively) slow and crowded, so cutting stops is supposed to make it faster. Along with its upcoming plans for SBS on the route. 'Course, I still think there should just be an express M60, and therefore cutting these stops won't really be necessary. A couple of the cut stops are understandable, some others seem to be there just to trim a little time off.

Which cut stop in particular are you referring to?

I'm referring to 82 street/ Astoria Blvd

M60 SBS? No I don't think so

Like it or not, the MTA mades their intentions known. The M60 pretty much already is a Limited route, and I can't see too many people being upset with the idea of making of it faster, and by association less crowded/more comfy(though the execution remains to be seen)

I'm referring to 82 street/ Astoria Blvd

I see what you mean about having to walk through the Highlights (or whatever that little grass area is called), but at least the 23rd Av stop isn't that far away.

What are you my personal translator?

Well the QM4 & 6 off peak service should merge. That would serve more people on less buses and some stops too close to subway get the axe. New routing can use LIE < Van wyck < jewel ave to 164th then union tpk.

Not saying that I support this, but the better way would be to merge the QM4 and QM5. From Manhattan, regular QM4 routing, right onto Horace Harding Expressway, right onto 188th St, left onto 73rd Av and QM5

Not saying that I support this, but the better way would be to merge the QM4 and QM5. From Manhattan, regular QM4 routing, right onto Horace Harding Expressway, right onto 188th St, left onto 73rd Av and QM5

I wouldn't merge the QM1 and QM5. All you need to do is adjust the schedule by several minutes and wolla! I mentioned this for of peak only service. The QM5 will serve 188 street off peak instead of after 7:20 PM weekdays and all day weekends. That would be a better solution then merging QM4 with the QM5 or QM6.

Is the local Bx12 really being cut back to Fordham Plaza during the day? I know last time around it was a mistake (they didnt put the Sedgwick times when the buses terminated there) but now not only are the Sedgwick times not on there again, but the map on the last page also lists Fordham Plaza as the daytime terminal. :huh:

EDIT: I also see on the first page, the route is described as running "between Pelham Bay Park and Fordham" instead of "between Pelham Bay Park and University Heights" like it did on the old schedules. I'm really hoping this is a mistake or else I'm making calls. The Bx12 is my home line.

interesting that can work too but I had the intention of it going via rego park alowing ppl to get on and off there via lie express which was why I chose QM6 to eat QM4 via LIE and van wyck skipping stops that are close to the subway. Your idea can work too.

I wouldn't merge the QM1 and QM5. All you need to do is adjust the schedule by several minutes and wolla! I mentioned this for of peak only service. The QM5 will serve 188 street off peak instead of after 7:20 PM weekdays and all day weekends. That would be a better solution then merging QM4 with the QM5 or QM6.

You clearly are way off base here you underestimate how dismal QM4's off peak ridership is. How did I arrive at this solution I observed 2 buses on queens blvd back to back one QM4 the other QM6 both had less than 12 riders each so via merger you have 2 loads of people on 1 bus resulting on better efficiency. This was on saturday. Besides staying on LIE to jewel via van wyck to union tpk afterwards can speed up the trip for both riders. And stops too close to subway can just be served by local bus to subway which is as fast as express bus. Outer users get a more direct service as well.

Is the local Bx12 really being cut back to Fordham Plaza during the day? I know last time around it was a mistake (they didnt put the Sedgwick times when the buses terminated there) but now not only are the Sedgwick times not on there again, but the map on the last page also lists Fordham Plaza as the daytime terminal. :huh:

EDIT: I also see on the first page, the route is described as running "between Pelham Bay Park and Fordham" instead of "between Pelham Bay Park and University Heights" like it did on the old schedules. I'm really hoping this is a mistake or else I'm making calls. The Bx12 is my home line.

This better be a mistake.

Archived