Sept. 2012 Bus Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

From what I've noticed, people in the rockaways are still taking 53's over 52's it seems.... that change just might be an attempt to try to get more folks on 52's..... let's see how that works out....

Thats true. Also Broad Channel has overkill service. It should only have rush hour service, since outside rush hours I barely see ridership. The 52s are helping to an extent. But in the rockaways its really not helping at all. Only like 4-5 people get on per two trips on the Q52 on the sole Arverne portion of the route. Eventually when Arverne-By-The-Sea is fully completed, ridership will be as good as the 53. I mean yes it actually is an attempt to take the 52 over the 53. The Q52 will come more frequent, at 12 minutes. The Q53 will come less frequent, at 9 minutes. If only the 52 wasnt scheduled to pass at the same time the 53 passes this would not happen. I think better coordination is the only think neccesary.Who knows, eventually the Q52 and Q53 frequency during the rush will be every every 11 minutes per bus.(5.5 minutes per bus on the Woodhaven Blvd Portion)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they've finally released the new schedules for the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18. The BxM18 is the same with a bit more run time given from Downtown to Midtown. The BxM1 will end earlier on Sundays going to and from Riverdale, BUT the BxM2 will start running later to and from Riverdale on Sundays, with the last bus now leaving to Riverdale at 00:30. I'm sure this is the argument they'll make when folks start complaining about the BxM1 cut back, so in short the 22:30 bus was cut entirely which saves them two runs, but in return Riverdale gets later service. The only folks that will be pissed are BxM1 riders because in order to have later service they will have to go crosstown to the BxM2.

How was B2 ridership on Sunday?

This weekend will be the first normal one for the x27, lets see how it goes. The x17 will probably have increased ridership on Sunday due to the SI Marathon affecting St. George Terminal.

This weekend will be the first normal one for the x27, lets see how it goes. The x17 will probably have increased ridership on Sunday due to the SI Marathon affecting St. George Terminal.

I saw one B2 last sunday that was nearly empty around 12:00-1:00PM. Had about 3 people on.

It was good enough to have it running. The thing with the B2 it isn't flooded with riders, but it still is needed to provide coverage, plus the route is a short one so you don't need that many buses to cover it.

I was going to go crazy over the BxM1 but I'm going to leave it because I see what they've did with the schedule overall on the weekends and it makes much more sense. Besides the only folks who really get screwed are the folks in Inwood and quite frankly I think they need less service, not more. The (MTA) should continue to run the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 according to who it is mainly for, which is Riverdale residents.

I saw one B2 last sunday that was nearly empty around 12:00-1:00PM. Had about 3 people on.

Yeah but the service just started last weekend, so that doesn't show anything. There hasn't been weekend service for almost 2 years now, so the word has to be put out there that the service is available again.

It was good enough to have it running. The thing with the B2 it isn't flooded with riders, but it still is needed to provide coverage, plus the route is a short one so you don't need that many buses to cover it.

I was going to go crazy over the BxM1 but I'm going to leave it because I see what they've did with the schedule overall on the weekends and it makes much more sense. Besides the only folks who really get screwed are the folks in Inwood.

Will this mean no Inwood Stops, because if it is, thats stupid

Yeah but the service just started last weekend, so that doesn't show anything. There hasn't been weekend service for almost 2 years now, so the word has to be put out there that the service is available again.

Who said I was saying something bad. IMO, the first weekkend, 3 people is a good amount during middays on a sundays

Will this mean no Inwood Stops, because if it is, thats stupid

No what it means is that since Inwood is only served by the BxM1, their service will end sooner on Sunday and Saturday, while in Riverdale the service will run later since it is served with both the BxM1 and BxM2. The last BxM2 will now run at 00:30 instead of 00:15 on Sundays, so while the BxM1 will end earlier, the BxM2 will run later. The BxM1 will also end earlier on Saturdays as well, but the BxM2 will still run until 01:15 as it did previously back to Riverdale, which is good because the BxM2 is faster anyway at night. You get that bus at say 01:15 and you can be in Riverdale easily in 35 minutes.

Who said I was saying something bad. IMO, the first weekkend, 3 people is a good amount during middays on a sundays

I know, but some folks think that in order to keep a service around it has to be teething with passengers.

I've got to get around to checking on the X17 Sunday service. (I don't think I'll ride it anytime soon, but I can see how full the buses are as they pass)

The B100 is a block away. You're better off beefing up B100 service a little.

I've got to get around to checking on the X17 Sunday service. (I don't think I'll ride it anytime soon, but I can see how full the buses are as they pass)

The B100 is a block away. You're better off beefing up B100 service a little.

Orginally the B2 had great ridership, but when the B100 was created, many people flocked to the B100, since the B100 WAS more convient for the former B2 riders. Thats why the B2 has suffered a lot: Because it was less convient for riders. One thing I would do is extend the B2 to Breezy Point. That area is just served by no bus and can be a ridership generator

One thing I would do is extend the B2 to Breezy Point. That area is just served by no bus and can be a ridership generator

lol... yeah right.... You obviously don't know about Breezy Point......

A ridership generator? You have to be kidding me...

Those folks that live out there want total seclusion; There is nothing of any real interest out there where (what they call) "outsiders" would want/need to venture to..... They have their own shuttle bus service from B. 169th to their area, and AFAIC, that's all they deserve....

If you think Lindenwood folks in general have a disdain for brooklyn, then you should really ask any Breezy what they think of their neighbors to the north.....

Orginally the B2 had great ridership, but when the B100 was created, many people flocked to the B100, since the B100 WAS more convient for the former B2 riders. Thats why the B2 has suffered a lot: Because it was less convient for riders. One thing I would do is extend the B2 to Breezy Point. That area is just served by no bus and can be a ridership generator

The B2 is more convenient in terms of its routing. That's why some people (including me) have suggested finding a way to combine them into one route (because the B2 routing is generally more convenient, but it doesn't serve Mill Basin). In any case, I don't think the B100 really had that big an effect on the B2 that it caused ridership to drop that much. (I mean, I would assume the B100 was around for a while, just under a private company instead of the MTA)

Well you've got your opinion and I've got mine so we'll leave it there.

Except that they're more similar than you think:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28815-the-mtas-secret-plan-to-eliminate-the-b2/?do=findComment&comment=437420

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28815-the-mtas-secret-plan-to-eliminate-the-b2/?do=findComment&comment=437459

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28699-the-mta%e2%80%99s-sinister-plot-to-destroy-the-b64/page__st__60?do=findComment&comment=436075

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28699-the-mta%e2%80%99s-sinister-plot-to-destroy-the-b64/page__st__40?do=findComment&comment=435844

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28699-the-mta%e2%80%99s-sinister-plot-to-destroy-the-b64/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=435397

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/27355-petition-started-to-restore-lost-bus-service-in-mid-and-southern-brooklyn/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=406572

But anyway.....

Yeah we've already discussed this quite a few times in the past, so I'd rather not go over it yet again.

Archived