Can Taxing The Rich Save The U.S. Economy?

NYCguy

Well apparently the people paying him that salary thinks he does and that's what matters. Who are we to dictate what someone's salary should be? That's why we live here in the U.S. where the sky is the limit...

But for them to complain that they're not making money they should look at that instead of laying off the very people that are the actual backbone of the company

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well apparently the people paying him that salary thinks he does and that's what matters. Who are we to dictate what someone's salary should be? That's why we live here in the U.S. where the sky is the limit...

You're not answering the question. You think in a time with poverty, unemployment, and inequality at record numbers, one man truly deserves to be paid $84 million a year? 'Cause that's the idealogical difference between you and me, then.

You're not answering the question. You think in a time with poverty, unemployment, and inequality at record numbers, one man truly deserves to be paid $84 million a year? 'Cause that's the idealogical difference between you and me, then.

What do you mean in a time of poverty, unemployment and inequality? Those things have ALWAYS existed and always will. That's the way it is. As I said before, life isn't fair and no one is going to give you anything in life. Now yeah sometimes I do think that some folks are overpaid, but I would never go as far as to suggest that someone should have a cap on how much they earn. That's simply going too far. If they earned it they should get it. Simple as that.

But for them to complain that they're not making money they should look at that instead of laying off the very people that are the actual backbone of the company

Come on now... You're not seriously telling me that you're worried about what other people are earning when you're working for a paycheck? I know I'm not.

Come on now... You're not seriously telling me that you're worried about what other people are earning when you're working for a paycheck? I know I'm not.

I'm going to ask you a question... Do you really want to be like them? I just get this vibe off you...

I personally don't have the heart to screw over someone or people that are also pure of heart and wish to become productive members of society but are held back by the ones that control everything.

not every wealthy businessperson got there by screwing over people. There are plenty of small businesses out there that are profitable, their founders are wealthy and they respect their employees. Starting a business is never a piece of cake, people put everything they have on the line in the hopes they can be their own boss and they can live comfortably. I remember reading the story about how the WWE was formed, Linda and Vince didn't come from wealthy families. For the first couple of years their business that would later become the WWE struggled and they often were struggling paycheck to paycheck but they kept at it and their hard work paid off and now the two of them are at the helm of a billion dollar industry.

Will everyone become wealthy if they start a business, hell no. Much the same way that not everyone that picks up a baseball bat is going to be the next Mark McGuire or Sammy Sosa. Many many kids play baseball and other sports growing up, but only a select few make it into the big leauges and make the big bucks.

But if someone goes through the trouble and the hard work to make it big be it as a businessperson or a sports star, why are athletes entitled to the fruits of their labor but a businessperson, everyone wants to take away what they worked hard to build.

not every wealthy businessperson got there by screwing over people. There are plenty of small businesses out there that are profitable, their founders are wealthy and they respect their employees. Starting a business is never a piece of cake, people put everything they have on the line in the hopes they can be their own boss and they can live comfortably. I remember reading the story about how the WWE was formed, Linda and Vince didn't come from wealthy families. For the first couple of years their business that would later become the WWE struggled and they often were struggling paycheck to paycheck but they kept at it and their hard work paid off and now the two of them are at the helm of a billion dollar industry.

Will everyone become wealthy if they start a business, hell no. Much the same way that not everyone that picks up a baseball bat is going to be the next Mark McGuire or Sammy Sosa. Many many kids play baseball and other sports growing up, but only a select few make it into the big leauges and make the big bucks.

But if someone goes through the trouble and the hard work to make it big be it as a businessperson or a sports star, why are athletes entitled to the fruits of their labor but a businessperson, everyone wants to take away what they worked hard to build.

thats the lib mindset, they dont get that our system is equal opportunity, not equal result.

Joe

The thing with sports is that recruiters hardly every recruit new talent and instead go for guys that have been in the game for a while. It kinda pains me to see these younger kids who are exceptionally good at what they do only to get looked over. I know someone who I used to go to school with. He was in the NBA draft some time ago but didn't get picked. He used to play ball for our elementary school team and he was pretty damn good.

Sad day but hey, it's whatever. We were all rooting for him on Facebook.

I'm going to ask you a question... Do you really want to be like them? I just get this vibe off you...

I personally don't have the heart to screw over someone or people that are also pure of heart and wish to become productive members of society but are held back by the ones that control everything.

Not at all. I am happy as I am... I don't need to be like the rich or anyone else for that matter to know that overtaxing is wrong because as a officially "single" upper middle class professional (for tax purposes), I am hit hard in taxes and I do have a problem with it. A friend of mine is in the same situation. He was married and is actually now back together with his ex wife but he's officially single now and we both complain about how we're hammered in taxes. The system favors married couples when they already benefit from having two incomes pooled together in most cases and they receive tax breaks that unmarried "single" professionals don't. I believe in low taxes for ALL, and government efficiency and being fiscally sound. Everyone should share their fair amount of taxes and the answer is not to overtax the rich or look to the upper middle class as the culprit either.

Not at all. I am happy as I am... I don't need to be like the rich or anyone else for that matter to know that overtaxing is wrong because as a officially "single" upper middle class professional (for tax purposes), I am hit hard in taxes and I do have a problem with it. A friend of mine is in the same situation. He was married and is actually now back together with his ex wife but he's officially single now and we both complain about how we're hammered in taxes. The system favors married couples when they already benefit from having two incomes pooled together in most cases and they receive tax breaks that unmarried "single" professionals don't. I believe in low taxes for ALL, and government efficiency and being fiscally sound. Everyone should share their fair amount of taxes and the answer is not to overtax the rich or look to the upper middle class as the culprit either.

So you're with us! We need to be paying lower taxes! See? Our middle class is being raped by taxes! Upper middle class shouldn't be raped by taxes either. You do know that in our past country's history the rich were taxed at a MUCH higher rate than it is now, right?

So you're with us! We need to be paying lower taxes! See? Our middle class is being raped by taxes! Upper middle class shouldn't be raped by taxes either. You do know that in our past country's history the rich were taxed at a MUCH higher rate than it is now, right?

Yes of course... You don't have to go back that far either... Just look at taxes under Clinton... Taxing and OVERTAXING are not the same thing.

Everyone should share their fair amount of taxes and the answer is not to overtax the rich or look to the upper middle class as the culprit either.

"Fair" is not when millionaire Mitt Romney pays 14% in taxes and the plumber down the street pays 35%. Or when billionaire Warren Buffet pays less in taxes than his secretary does. Sure, capital gains yada yada, but the rich aren't being taxed their fair share: they're being taxed too little! If you need proof of that, consider the inequality in our country. It's at a record high. Hint: the poor aren't getting poorer, so that means the rich are getting richer.

"Fair" is not when millionaire Mitt Romney pays 14% in taxes and the plumber down the street pays 35%. Or when billionaire Warren Buffet pays less in taxes than his secretary does. Sure, capital gains yada yada, but the rich aren't being taxed their fair share: they're being taxed too little! If you need proof of that, consider the inequality in our country. It's at a record high. Hint: the poor aren't getting poorer, so that means the rich are getting richer.

if you read the tax table you will see that the only people who pay the 35% rate are people who earn $388,350 or above after legal deductions

http://taxes.about.com/od/Federal-Income-Taxes/qt/Tax-Rates-For-The-2012-Tax-Year.htm

i dont know any plumber that makes that much.

BTW Obama paid a lower rate than his secretary

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/president-obamas-secretary-paid-higher-tax-rate-than-he-did/

So let me ask you this, what tax rate do you think is fair for rich people? I will be waiting with baited breath for your answer, I know it will be reasonable *cough, cough*

Joe

MHV, if you were one of those rich folks you would understand. But you're not. And if you tax the rich out of their rich-ness, then you will never be rich. Because the government will just take it away.

But its ok, because "they" don't pay their "fair share". You don't have to accept any responsibility for anything that way. It's very good liberal-speak.

Ok fine, but you're proposing overtaxing the rich which solves nothing, but fulfills your wounded ego.

if you read the tax table you will see that the only people who pay the 35% rate are people who earn $388,350 or above after legal deductions

http://taxes.about.c...12-Tax-Year.htm

i dont know any plumber that makes that much.

BTW Obama paid a lower rate than his secretary

http://abcnews.go.co...te-than-he-did/

So let me ask you this, what tax rate do you think is fair for rich people? I will be waiting with baited breath for your answer, I know it will be reasonable *cough, cough*

So it's closer to a 30% marginal rate, that's an error on my part and I apologize for that. I like to avoid misinformation, so that's a good catch. It doesn't detract from my point though, which is that the system is deeply messed up to have a circumstance like that for wealthy individuals like the Buffet, Romney, and even the President paying such low amounts in taxes...not to mention individuals like Romney who simply cheat their taxes with Cayman Island accounts.

As a single rate? I don't have one. That'd be quite stupid, since we all know flat taxes don't work. That said, the days of Eisenhower with the near 55-60% rates on the richest Americans? That's perfectly fine with me. Taxes aren't about money being taken away from you, they're about putting in a fair amount of your revenue into our general economy. By definition, the uber-rich aren't paying anyway near enough in taxes, with some paying lower rates than the middle class, which is simply offensive.

MHV, if you were one of those rich folks you would understand. But you're not. And if you tax the rich out of their rich-ness, then you will never be rich. Because the government will just take it away.

But its ok, because "they" don't pay their "fair share". You don't have to accept any responsibility for anything that way. It's very good liberal-speak.

That's literally one of the worst rebuttals I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe you actually were proud of that enough to submit. You think trying to insult me and bring me down is that way forward, that you can "tell me I don't understand?" Guess what sport, you know nothing about me. You don't know about my life, you don't know jack about me. I know one thing about you though, which is that you have no argument seeing as you've reduced to pathetic "you wouldn't understand" patronization. Lousy effort on that one buddy.

Ok fine, but you're proposing overtaxing the rich which solves nothing, but fulfills your wounded ego.

Really? Overtaxing? You think the rich are currently taxed at a fair rate? My ego's actually fine, by the way, thanks.

That's literally one of the worst rebuttals I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe you actually were proud of that enough to submit. You think trying to insult me and bring me down is that way forward, that you can "tell me I don't understand?" Guess what sport, you know nothing about me. You don't know about my life, you don't know jack about me. I know one thing about you though, which is that you have no argument seeing as you've reduced to pathetic "you wouldn't understand" patronization. Lousy effort on that one buddy.

It's called sarcasm on the internet.

Really? Overtaxing? You think the rich are currently taxed at a fair rate? My ego's actually fine, by the way, thanks.

No, but your let's get 'em mentality isn't right either. You can twist it anyway you want, but your mentality is to stick it to them because they have money. It is their money. The government should looking to take less from everyone, not more. That's our point. You focus more on the rich and the upper middle class while the focus really should be on the government's out of control spending. No comment on that though. You're under the impression that overtaxing (yes overtaxing because you would not tax them at a fair rate and you know it) will solve all problems. It won't.

Archived