City Council Members propose new legislation to keep heat on farebaters

Via Garibaldi 8

The thought process is that perhaps if more monies can be obtainted from farebeaters then more services can be restored. I applaud this new legislation and plan to write to James Vacca to show my support of it. The argument that if you enforce the fare those people simply won't use the service is just ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that suddenly farebeaters stealing an estimated $100 million in rides annually are suddenly just going to stop using the system. Please. Folks here have already said that the farebeaters are still stealing rides and just using different tactics, so the key is to continue to step up the pressure to catch these thieves and force them to pay their fare like the rest of us. There are still several bus lines that I would like to see restored and furthermore, city council members say that there is a correlation between stopping farebeaters and lowering crime within the system, as often times when farebeaters are caught and arrested, they are found to have committed other more serious crimes.

I strongly feel that we still need more bus lines restored or re-routed to the previous terminus, particularly the ones below:

M104 restored back to the U.N., M6 fully restored (with the M5 truncated back to its previous terminus), restoration of M10 to Penn Station, restoration of M7 to Union Square, B23 fully restored to serve Borough Park residents, full restoration X16, X18; X14 (given super express runs instead of all of them serving Downtown and Midtown), QM22 restoration to Astoria, with added runs to make service more attractive and perhaps a restructuring of the route.

The thought process is that perhaps if more monies can be obtainted from farebeaters then more services can be restored. I applaud this new legislation and plan to write to James Vacca to show my support of it. The argument that if you enforce the fare those people simply won't use the service is just ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that suddenly farebeaters stealing an estimated $100 million in rides annually are suddenly just going to stop using the system. Please. Folks here have already said that the farebeaters are still stealing rides and just using different tactics, so the key is to continue to step up the pressure to catch these thieves and force them to pay their fare like the rest of us. There are still several bus lines that I would like to see restored and furthermore, city council members say that there is a correlation between stopping farebeaters and lowering crime within the system, as often times when farebeaters are caught and arrested, they are found to have committed other more serious crimes.

I strongly feel that we still need more bus lines restored or re-routed to the previous terminus, particularly the ones below:

M104 restored back to the U.N., M6 fully restored (with the M5 truncated back to its previous terminus), restoration of M10 to Penn Station, restoration of M7 to Union Square, B23 fully restored to serve Borough Park residents, full restoration X16, X18; X14 (given super express runs instead of all of them serving Downtown and Midtown), QM22 restoration to Astoria, with added runs to make service more attractive and perhaps a restructuring of the route.

Lets see VG8.

Agree with restoring the M104, M10(at least to PABT/Times Sq) M7. On the M6 i dont think it's coming back due to Broadway out of service. Also no comment on the X16, X18, X14. You forgot the B8 to Bay Ridge and M98 to East Midtown i.e 34th Street that should be restored. Matter of fact the B8 and M98 are more urgent to restore IMO than the M6 or B23.

I only disagree with the B23 full time service. It should be a weekday only service. Plus the B69 could be extended to serve Cortelyou Rd. and end at Flatbush/Nostrand. While The B67 is extended to serve 16th Ave and end at 62nd St. (D)(N) lines.

Lets see VG8.

Agree with restoring the M104, M10(at least to PABT/Times Sq) M7. On the M6 i dont think it's coming back due to Broadway out of service. Also no comment on the X16, X18, X14. You forgot the B8 to Bay Ridge and M98 to East Midtown i.e 34th Street that should be restored. Matter of fact the B8 and M98 are more urgent to restore IMO than the M6 or B23.

I only disagree with the B23 full time service. It should be a weekday only service. Plus the B69 could be extended to serve Cortelyou Rd. and end at Flatbush/Nostrand. While The B67 is extended to serve 16th Ave and end at 62nd St. (D)(N) lines.

Well there are certainly others that can be restored with a 100 million dollars but these are the ones I would like to focus on. With enough political pressure they can indeed come back.

Well, no matter if these service come back or not, I think that these police officers who stay in the stations must stay proactive to fare beaters. I hate when I take a photo, the police officer instantly tries to catch me (who paid my $2.25, and take the shot legally) instead of the fare beater who stormed into the station and onto the train illegally.

Though I am for something that can increase the possibility of catching fare-beaters, I am quite disappointed that police officers don't do it proactively as catching photographers.

Archived