Dad wants to become a B/O. Is it possible?

IntExp

So my dad, who is 41 years old, recently expressed a desire to have a stable job with good pay and benefits. He currently works in the sign manufacturing business where he owns his own small business, and has been working in that field ever since he came to the United States in 1995. He's had his own small little shop in Bushwick since 2005. Although he enjoys working in that area, his business his heavily dependent on the state of the economy, and since small businesses are the biggest customers for signs, neons, banners, etc, it's been a rough time for him. It's not uncommon for him not to have a job going for him days at a time, and working 12-14 hour shifts is also not uncommon either.

I mentioned to him the possibility of working as a bus operator. He's open to it because of the stable pay, health benefits (he's never had health insurance, so he hasn't been to a doctor in a while), and the prospect of a stable schedule. Of course, he knows that there's a possibility of him working nights, weekends, and/or holidays, but as long as he has a stable schedule and pay, he told me he doesn't care. He has an employment authorization card (we're fixing my parent's legal status), and he's working towards getting permanent residency. He has a drivers license, and he's willing to get the appropriate qualifications in order to be able to drive a bus. Would you guys recommend him to study and sign up for the next b/o exam?

He just missed out on the TA(filing ended on June 21st) and MTA Bus exams(last summer),

at least 4 yrs before the next one comes around.

There should be a Mabstoa B/O exam coming up I believe, the 2901 list has been active for a very long

time. At the age of 41 he should be seeing a doctor once a year just for a routine physical.

There are a couple of threads on here about working for the private bus companies such as Academy, Peter Pan, Greyhound, etc.

Being self employed is risky and most often very hard to make a good living. Good luck to him.

I would suggest, if he is willing to take any job with the MTA, is to take any test that he might be qualified for. Once he gets his foot in the door, he can take other tests and move around. I was hired as a cleaner, off the Station Agent test list.. I took that test in 2008.. I was 37 when I was hired and just passed my 1 year anniversary mark a few weeks ago...

First off, anything is possible.

I guess with all the proper training, he has a chance. I was looking on the (MTA) website, and there are a ton more qualifications that I expected to be there. But I am sure if he devotes himself fully to the idea, and is prepared to work hard, he can become a B/O.

I know everyone is going to get mad at me for suggesting this, but if you live close to Nassau County, NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) is looking for bus operators with CDLs to operate transit buses in Nassau County.

As general statement no actual qualification asked for by an employer is etchred in stone. At lreast in ght private sector and yes to add in the public sector. The interviewee can negotiatiate skillfully and reach their goals. Hiring freezes don't mean anything if you know the right people. Cliche bit? No, more like the actual facts and realities ... from experience I'm saying this.

Not looking at this with rose colored glasses, I'm not jaded like some. There is a will. Therefore there is a way but have a plan and carry out. A dollar and a dream. Seriously.

When you said he has a driver's license, does he have a CDL or a normal license?

A normal license, but he's willing to learn to be able to get a CDL if that's what it takes.

He just missed out on the TA(filing ended on June 21st) and MTA Bus exams(last summer),

at least 4 yrs before the next one comes around.

There should be a Mabstoa B/O exam coming up I believe, the 2901 list has been active for a very long

time. At the age of 41 he should be seeing a doctor once a year just for a routine physical.

There are a couple of threads on here about working for the private bus companies such as Academy, Peter Pan, Greyhound, etc.

Being self employed is risky and most often very hard to make a good living. Good luck to him.

Sure, I'll keep my eyes open for that one. Thanks for the advice, and yeah, being self-employed is hard, but we gotta keep fighting on.

I would suggest, if he is willing to take any job with the MTA, is to take any test that he might be qualified for. Once he gets his foot in the door, he can take other tests and move around. I was hired as a cleaner, off the Station Agent test list.. I took that test in 2008.. I was 37 when I was hired and just passed my 1 year anniversary mark a few weeks ago...

I'll mention that as a possibility to him. I think he would prefer to be a B/O, but if it has stable pay/benefits and job security, he's willing to do it.

First off, anything is possible.

I guess with all the proper training, he has a chance. I was looking on the (MTA) website, and there are a ton more qualifications that I expected to be there. But I am sure if he devotes himself fully to the idea, and is prepared to work hard, he can become a B/O.

He's devoted, he's just unsure and asked me to inquire about his chances on NYCTF.

I know everyone is going to get mad at me for suggesting this, but if you live close to Nassau County, NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) is looking for bus operators with CDLs to operate transit buses in Nassau County.

We live in Corona, so it's somewhat close to NICE. I'll let him know about it, thanks.

As general statement no actual qualification asked for by an employer is etchred in stone. At lreast in ght private sector and yes to add in the public sector. The interviewee can negotiatiate skillfully and reach their goals. Hiring freezes don't mean anything if you know the right people. Cliche bit? No, more like the actual facts and realities ... from experience I'm saying this.

Not looking at this with rose colored glasses, I'm not jaded like some. There is a will. Therefore there is a way but have a plan and carry out. A dollar and a dream. Seriously.

There are ways around agesizm.

Thanks for the advice, realizm. I'll keep it in consideration when telling him about his chances.

I agree with what the others are saying. Your dad can definitely get in through a side door if the front door isn't open. Just let him know that Transit isn't like The Honeymooners.

He knows that working for the TA isn't a piece a cake, but he's willing to do it. I'll remind him about it.

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for the advice, realizm. I'll keep it in consideration when telling him about his chances.

Your welcome. Google these subjects and talk to your people in your circles too, there's a wealth on information on the net and through your personal friends and acquaintances that can give you clues to piece together the puzzle and come up with a game plan.

Networking is key. There is a way. Not trying to sound overly optimistic, there is a way. With any career path one chooses to walk.....

Best of wishes on your Dad's endeavors.

Archived