Bee-Line Fall Service Changes 2012

mark1447

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/fall_brochure.pdf

Here's a major:

Route 78 :

• Service will be significantly expanded.

• This route will be extended to operate

along Tuckahoe Rd. to Central Park Ave.

• This will no longer be a Limited Route,

but will serve all Bee-Line bus stops

along the route.

• Late night service will be extended

until 11:40 p.m.

This is what I like about beeline.... they're not afraid to make routing changes when necessary....

Smart move.... b/c the 8 needs the help; it gets slammed w/i yonkers - buses absolutely tank once it hits central park av..... you can watch a bus with 50 ppl on it thin down to like 4 or 5 (esp. on school days)

This is what I like about beeline.... they're not afraid to make routing changes when necessary....

Smart move.... b/c the 8 needs the help; it gets slammed w/i yonkers - buses absolutely tank once it hits central park av..... you can watch a bus with 50 ppl on it thin down to like 4 or 5 (esp. on school days)

But this renders the 8 useless partly in a sense why didn't they just add more 8 trips?

But this renders the 8 useless partly in a sense why didn't they just add more 8 trips?

Because Tuchahoe Rd between Central Ave and Sam Mill River Rd. is the heaviest area of usage for the #8. Plus it's a growing area of new stores and motels/hotels as well. I do agree that the #8 should had a slight increase in service as well as this #78 increase.

Nah, it wouldn't be rendered useless b/c the BL-8 gets decent usage b/w the bronx & yonkers also.... also, people will still take the 8 b/w yonkers & central park av.....

off the BL-8 in the bronx..... People are willing to take that extra bus (the bx7) to get to the (1) @ 231st because BL-1's & BL-2's are that jammed b/w yonkers & 242nd st (1)..... I've done that quite a few times, and I don't mind paying the extra fare (compared to having to sardine my way onto 1's or 2's heading back to the bronx).....

My point...

Yeah, the 8 will lose riders when this 78 alteration happens (because that 78 carries too), but not nearly enough for it (the 8) to be rendered somewhat useless.....

Besides that, they don't go through that process of asking communities or putting this up in a pending process. They just go direct!

For the 8, yes it could use help. Sometimes this route is late for those who wants Bronx Border/South Yonkers service. At Getty square once, there were passengers who trying to get along Riverdale Avenue, which no 8s showed up, forcing them to take a 1/2 bus.

Not to get off topic but service along Riverdale Ave should be running every 20-30 minutes most of the day instead of every 30-60 minutes currently with BL #8.

Of course it's not as busy as Route 9/Broadway, but Riverdale Ave is a growing coordior.

True! Besides US9/NY9A (Broadway) isn't that far from Riverdale Avenue, at least Ludlow Street you can walk just a few blocks down to Riverdale. Other portions there is a hill.

Besides that, they don't go through that process of asking communities or putting this up in a pending process. They just go direct!

For the 8, yes it could use help. Sometimes this route is late for those who wants Bronx Border/South Yonkers service. At Getty square once, there were passengers who trying to get along Riverdale Avenue, which no 8s showed up, forcing them to take a 1/2 bus.

1) Well, that's what I was gettin at.... there's no waiting years for a bus routing change to take place, due to politics/pressure or whatever....

2) Of course... but when I mentioned help, I'm talking about to/from the other direction (towards central park av).....

The 78 also will provide Sunday service, something the 8 doesn't have.

Good point....

True! Besides US9/NY9A (Broadway) isn't that far from Riverdale Avenue, at least Ludlow Street you can walk just a few blocks down to Riverdale. Other portions there is a hill.

If Bee line had extra money the #8 should be running on Sundays at least between 8am-8pm with 30-60 minute headways(only day of week with that amount of headways).

Nah, it wouldn't be rendered useless b/c the BL-8 gets decent usage b/w the bronx & yonkers also.... also, people will still take the 8 b/w yonkers & central park av.....

off the BL-8 in the bronx..... People are willing to take that extra bus (the bx7) to get to the (1) @ 231st because BL-1's & BL-2's are that jammed b/w yonkers & 242nd st (1)..... I've done that quite a few times, and I don't mind paying the extra fare (compared to having to sardine my way onto 1's or 2's heading back to the bronx).....

My point...

Yeah, the 8 will lose riders when this 78 alteration happens (because that 78 carries too), but not nearly enough for it (the 8) to be rendered somewhat useless.....

Err actually 8 won't lose as the 78 meanders now from ridge hill to central park ave they would have been better off just extending and enhancing the 55. 8 is more direct. Interesting facts about 78.

Err actually 8 won't lose as the 78 meanders now from ridge hill to central park ave they would have been better off just extending and enhancing the 55. 8 is more direct. Interesting facts about 78.

like I said, the route would lose riders, but not enough to be rendered useless.... It will still hold it's own....

You came on here with that bit about the 8 being rendered useless; people and their selective memories, I swear......

Usage on the 78 is only gonna increase.... Like I also said, smart on bee-line's part.....

The 55 has nothing to do with anything here; don't know why you even brought that up....

The 78 gets real busy, I've only seen 40-footers used on it since Ridge Hill opened.

Same.... I've never seen an artic on the 78, when I'm around Getty sq......

I suppose they still use the orion's on em, but I always end up seeing those nabi's on that route now.....

NABIs and 40 foot Orion Vs are the only ones I see. I doubt they'll run artics on the 78 anytime soon, but that'd sure be interesting if they did.

Don't forget they sold a bunch of the 30 foot O5s a little while back (if that's what you were thinking of).

I'm talking about the Orion VII. I think It was made exclusively for the 78 since the 78 uses them the most

No those 2xx series (I think only 4 in service 201-204) are not exclusive for the 78. They are random in lower Westchester. Mainly they hit the w6 and w55. Other routes from time to time, but thats rare. The 78 mainly uses 40LFW with some Orion Vs. It could use the 2xx if they have to.

like I said, the route would lose riders, but not enough to be rendered useless.... It will still hold it's own....

You came on here with that bit about the 8 being rendered useless; people and their selective memories, I swear......

Usage on the 78 is only gonna increase.... Like I also said, smart on bee-line's part.....

The 55 has nothing to do with anything here; don't know why you even brought that up....

Same.... I've never seen an artic on the 78, when I'm around Getty sq......

Beacause with that 78 won't need to backtrack and 55 will gain many more riders going to stew leonards. Plus I did not review routing till now. 78 would be slower than 8 they would have been better off adding W8 trips. Maybe 55 is stew lenards gets involved I don't like routes that backtrack. If they wanted to help the 8 adding trips would have been better.

Now that I am retired, let me say this about the #78.

- The #78's core mission is to provide service to Ridge Hill and Stew Leonard's. It is NOT an alternative to the #8. By having the bus serve all stops rather than a limited stop will slow the bus down. Schedule adherence and loading will become a problem.

Not a good idea !

- Only 40-footers are used on the route. Whether it is a NABI or Orion is irrelevant.

- The four Orion hybrids are fleet numbers 201 - 204. They are generally dispatched on the # 52 or # 63 but can be used anywhere. They are housed at the Yonkers garage. Therefore it is not likely that they will be seen in the north county.

^^ Whether it's a NABI or Orion is irrelevant to you.

Beacause with that 78 won't need to backtrack and 55 will gain many more riders going to stew leonards. Plus I did not review routing till now. 78 would be slower than 8 they would have been better off adding W8 trips. Maybe 55 is stew lenards gets involved I don't like routes that backtrack. If they wanted to help the 8 adding trips would have been better.

I'm still not seeing what this has to do with the 55....

The 55 is the Dyre av (5) - cross county mall route....

Even if you extended it to that stew leonards, it still wouldn't serve downtown Yonkers & all the residents that currently take the 8 & the 78 w/i that general part of yonkers.... So again, how would an extended 55 help those riders ???

We partnered with NYCDOT a few years ago in a study about transit services to Co-Op City. From that study, there was a recommendation to extend the #55 route to Co-Op City.

There is some sense to that:

- Thru route from Co-Op City to the Cross County Shopping Center.

- Easy transfer to the #20 at Macys.

- Quick transfer to the # 20/21 at Macys for travel to Yonkers Raceway.

Archived