Express Bus Riders Per Bus

Gorgor

This tool allows you to quickly see ridership statistics for every single express bus. The statistics are from 2011 for currently operating routes, and from 2010 for eliminated routes. For each route, statistics for number of riders, number of buses, and average riders per bus are given. Each entry is color coded from green to red depending on performance.

You can use the tools on the top to organize and sort the lists to see the data in every way there is.

All that I'm trying to do with this is present express bus ridership data in a clear and visual way.

Also, I've done the calculations and the numbers found on the MTA's Average Weekday Ridership for eliminated routes are half of what they should be, and I've doubled the numbers to correct for that. If you take the annual ridership given and divide it by the average weekday ridership given, the number will be around 253, but the routes only operated for about 126 days in 2010 before the were cut, which is about half of 253.

This tool allows you to quickly see ridership statistics for every single express bus. The statistics are from 2011 for currently operating routes, and from 2010 for eliminated routes. For each route, statistics for number of riders, number of buses, and average riders per bus are given. Each entry is color coded from green to red depending on performance.

You can use the tools on the top to organize and sort the lists to see the data in every way there is.

All that I'm trying to do with this is present express bus ridership data in a clear and visual way.

Also, I've done the calculations and the numbers found on the MTA's Average Weekday Ridership for eliminated routes are half of what they should be, and I've doubled the numbers to correct for that. If you take the annual ridership given and divide it by the average weekday ridership given, the number will be around 253, but the routes only operated for about 126 days in 2010 before the were cut, which is about half of 253.

It would be nice to have something like this for modes of transportation... Is that possible?

yeah, do something like this for the subway & the local buses....

Well there's no way to find out what ridership levels are for subway lines because fares are only collected at the first station you enter and don't indicate which train(s) people take.

Local buses is what I was planning on doing next, but that will take quite some time before it'll be ready.

Just one thing: When you say "buses", I assume you mean runs, right? (In other words, you're not doing it by how many buses are on the road, but by how many runs are on the schedule, right?)

For example MetroNorth, LIRR, etc.

(Not that it matters because you can't see this), but Amtrak7 was able to get the data. Ask him if you're interested.

Just one thing: When you say "buses", I assume you mean runs, right? (In other words, you're not doing it by how many buses are on the road, but by how many runs are on the schedule, right?)

Yes, I mean runs. That sounds like a much better way to phrase it; I'll change it in a minute.

The sort tools aren't working in all cases (specifically ascending vs descending and hiding eliminated routes)

Thanks for pointing that out. Apparently out that forgetting to hit the space bar one spot in the code can screw everything up! It's been fixed now.

I'm currently working on creating a separate version of this for local buses as well.

Seeing how most of the express routes average less than 30 riders per bus, this only proves my point that fancy expensive coach buses are not needed for the majority of them.

The averages don't really tell you much... They're averages.... Nothing more... We're paying a premium fare and as such we should have more comfort the same way that MetroNorth and LIRR riders should. That's like telling someone staying a five star hotel that they should get the same service as someone staying at a one star hotel. Completely asinine.

Furthermore the ridership has dropped on some lines naturally since so many folks are unemployed... We are in a recession after all...

Seeing how most of the express routes average less than 30 riders per bus, this only proves my point that fancy expensive coach buses are not needed for the majority of them.

Well, the thing is that they're averages. You can have some runs off-peak that carry 10 riders per bus, but the ones during rush hour carry 50 riders per bus. But since the off-peak service costs less to run in general, it's not that bad.

I mean, realistically, what could you replace those buses with, where you'd have that much less capacity? Minibuses? But then you lose your operational flexibility. I mean, yeah, some routes could use Orions with padded seats, but even then, the reduction in capacity isn't that much.

We're paying a premium fare and as such we should have more comfort the same way that MetroNorth and LIRR riders should. That's like telling someone staying a five star hotel that they should get the same service as someone staying at a one star hotel. Completely asinine.

Furthermore the ridership has dropped on some lines naturally since so many folks are unemployed... We are in a recession after all...

Oh, Dear Lord. ahhhhhhh.gif The higher fare is because it costs more to run these buses than the local buses & subways. It has nothing to do with 5-star service or anything like that.

And it's not like the buses were that much more crowded before the recession.

Oh, Dear Lord. ahhhhhhh.gif The higher fare is because it costs more to run these buses than the local buses & subways. It has nothing to do with 5-star service or anything like that.

And it's not like the buses were that much more crowded before the recession.

I'm the one that should be complaining with you following me around on the forums endlessly... Anyway, you're wrong. Period. Yes, the higher fare is partially due to the higher cost, but the point is that for the higher fare you get more comfort. That's true with just about any transportation. As for them being less crowded, well that's nice of you to say. They weren't bursting at the seams, but they carried good enough. Some lines have lost thousands of riders since the recessions. Now stop following me around already!

I'm the one that should be complaining with you following me around on the forums endlessly... Anyway, you're wrong. Period. Yes, the higher fare is partially due to the higher cost, but the point is that for the higher fare you get more comfort. That's true with just about any transportation. As for them being less crowded, well that's nice of you to say. They weren't bursting at the seams, but they carried good enough. Some lines have lost thousands of riders since the recessions. Now stop following me around already!

Following you around? I happen to post in the same thread you do and that's enough to say I'm following you around?

Yeah, those lines carried good enough, but you're acting like they lost tons and tons of riders. If a line carries 25 passengers per bus, what was it before the recession? Maybe 30? You said yourself it's not like the buses were bursting at the seams.

nice stuff. not to be a nag, but where are the X26 and X92? Were there no data on them?

They aren't recent enough. He's only doing the lines that were around in June 2010. The X26 was eliminated in 2002 I believe, and I think the X92 was eliminated in 2001.

I've stated multiple times now that I have no interest in having discussions with you about ANYTHING. Get the hint already and move on. Jesus Christ.

I can respond to whatever posts I want to respond to. If you don't want to reply back, that's your business. If I want the other members to know my thoughts on something, and it happens to be a response to something you've written, there's no problem.

P.S: I thought you left the forums. What made you come crawling back for the third time?

Archived