D train GO question

alekr

This weekend is the D line GO splitting service. But why they are sending the D to Whitehall instead of terminating the usual Atlantic Avenue?

Also why they are using the Grand Street Shuttle not the shuttle buses?

This weekend is the D line GO splitting service. But why they are sending the D to Whitehall instead of terminating the usual Atlantic Avenue?

Also why they are using the Grand Street Shuttle not the shuttle buses?

Special shuttle trains means single tracked shuttle train.

Sending the (D) to Whitehall allows people going to the West Side to access the (A)(C)(F) and the (1) with no need for an extra transfer.

As for usage of the Shuttle train over shuttle buses, it's likely cheaper and less of a hassle.

Come to think of it, I am glad the (MTA) decided to send them to Whitehall now. Instead of using the (Q), you have access straight to 6 Av via the (F), plus you have the (A)(C) service up on CPW, (A) Express too.

It would go to 57th if it didn't interfere with the (Q). It''s been going to Whitehall for at least 4 years. (I missed such a G.O when I took a Sat. off to move into my current place, and then left the South they year after, so I never got to do the 3 trips to Whitehall).

It does seem that occasionally, they will try a midtown destination again. But whatever they do, it interferes with the (Q).

I don't understand why they can't send it over the Broadway Express via Manhattan Br to 57 St, and send the (N) via Whitehall. Turn some (D) trains at 42 St if they have to. I just don't see how it would interfere with the (Q). With the (N)(R) service, I can see, but how the (Q).

The (Q) uses both pockets at 57th, and then they started trying to send it local to turn the D at 42nd, but then that's a supplement for the (Q), and I guess they didn't want to bother with that anymore.

Now that Jay/Lawrence is an alternate transfer, I wonder why they still use 34th and not W4th. (and just run the shuttle from Bway-Laf to Grand)

34th was the transfer point between the 2 D halves, but now that you have to take another line to get to the Brooklyn half, you could just go to W4 and transfer to the (F), which is easier than going upstairs at 34th anyway.

The (Q) uses both pockets at 57th, and then they started trying to send it local to turn the D at 42nd, but then that's a supplement for the (Q), and I guess they didn't want to bother with that anymore.

Now that Jay/Lawrence is an alternate transfer, I wonder why they still use 34th and not W4th. (and just run the shuttle from Bway-Laf to Grand)

34th was the transfer point between the 2 D halves, but now that you have to take another line to get to the Brooklyn half, you could just go to W4 and transfer to the (F), which is easier than going upstairs at 34th anyway.

That new transfer at Jay St is a huge new development and wished it could have opened 20-plus years ago at height of the Manhattan Bridge rebuliding project. Even at 34th, Brooklyn bound (D) and vice versa now have a same platform transfer to Bronx (D) line at West 4th and Bway-Houston via Jay St. Thus save time over the busy 34th St/Herald station to transfer.

And i agree with Eric. This fairly new way to run the divided (D) lines when the 6th ave tracks on the bridge is a better option. It prevents congestion with the West End (D) and Brighton (Q) on Broadway express tracks. Plus the (N) still is able to run express in Brooklyn via the bridge for growing ridership in SW Brooklyn.

I don't understand why they can't send it over the Broadway Express via Manhattan Br to 57 St, and send the (N) via Whitehall.

It's best not to spread the annoyance of a service change to more people. I, for one, would like my ride as express as possible.

Keep the service changes constrained/confined to a minimum.

Archived