How to improve IRT weekend service...

Threxx

I'm pretty sure that if the (3) terminates at any express stop besides 42 St, the (2) can't run express at night like people want.

Wait. What's so special about 42nd Street? :wacko: Terminating at any station between 96th & Chambers will make it hard for the (2) to run express, unless the crews hustle and get out of there quickly.

The (2) doesn't need to run express at night, it just needs to run express LONGER. The (3) overnight service would be cooked if the (2) ran express late nights. The (3) needs to go to 34th Street for the connections. (Maybe the MTA doesn't want to remove the gates over the stairs at 34th? lol)

Well, if the MTA suddenly ran into a pile of money, the (3) could run local to South Ferry while the (2) runs express to Brooklyn.

Wait. What's so special about 42nd Street? :wacko: Terminating at any station between 96th & Chambers will make it hard for the (2) to run express, unless the crews hustle and get out of there quickly.

If you take a look at the track maps, you'll see that there's a spur (middle track) south of 42 St where (3) trains can relay without blocking (2) trains.

Man, you just answered your own question REALLY well. This is where I have to say your favorite line, "READ THE MOTHERF***ING THREAD before you post" :lol:. We just talked about the importance of serving 145 and 148 Sts.

You caught me red handed there, but atleast I corrected my mistake right in the post, unlike others who must remain nameless so I will not be called the one who started yet another forum war. :ph34r:

Actually got the picture from a friend of mine called RYaHatMan.

If you take a look at the track maps, you'll see that there's a spur (middle track) south of 42 St where (3) trains can relay without blocking (2) trains.

Not mean to be rude or anything but I'm pretty sure that if it was *that* easy the (MTA) would've already done it since it costs them almost nothing. There must be a reason for them not to use that middle spur for relaying.

Not mean to be rude or anything but I'm pretty sure that if it was *that* easy the (MTA) would've already done it since it costs them almost nothing. There must be a reason for them not to use that middle spur for relaying.

There is a crossover before the station. That spur would be used if the (3) went to 34th Street, which it needs to..

No, the MTA does use the spur. It's just that some people suggested not using the spur (extending the (3) to another express stop) and making the (2) express at the same time, which doesn't work.

EDIT: even extending the (3) to 34 St as Threxx suggested would require (2) trains to run local, because while the spur would be used, trains would relay on the regular express tracks.

No, the MTA does use the spur. It's just that some people suggested not using the spur (extending the (3) to another express stop) and making the (2) express at the same time, which doesn't work.

EDIT: even extending the (3) to 34 St as Threxx suggested would require (2) trains to run local, because while the spur would be used, trains would relay on the regular express tracks.

But (2) trains already run Local in the night.

But (2) trains already run Local in the night.

I know. My point was that some people have suggested running them express. But I guess that's not really a valid point because we all know that you can't have both the (2) and (3) running express at night...So, if the (2) were to run express, then the (3) would have to run local and terminate at South Ferry.

I know. My point was that some people have suggested running them express. But I guess that's not really a valid point because we all know that you can't have both the (2) and (3) running express at night...So, if the (2) were to run express, then the (3) would have to run local and terminate at South Ferry.

Ok. Wow that sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that.

Which I think the (MTA) should consider sending (5)s to 149th St, IF Lexington Avenue requires (5)s to be suspended. Now if the (2)s are running express in the Bronx, then the (5) can stay cut to 180th. Or just lower the headway number as Trainmaster5 says.

The (5) has run express with the (2) in the Bronx during past GOs. The (5) can't terminate at 149 St during the daytime, it would get in the way of the (2) and (4). During late nights MTA should send the (5) via LCL there because the headway is 20 minutes (and provide a direct connection to the (4)). Running the (5) via 7 Av would be better than ending the (5) at 149 St.

The solution is obvious to me. Run the 2 every 10 minutes instead of the present 12 minute headways. Problem solved without screwing up the 3 line. In almost every thread of this type, QB,CPW, Flatbush, it appears to me that the most obvious solution is to increase the frequency of service on these lines if warranted. It appears that the TA thinks their service guidelines are being met with the service they now provide so nothing is being done at present. IMO the service guidelines are a reflection of the MTA's budgetary problems so I don't see where these service increases are going to come from. From my experience in the TA everything is based on the Manhattan services and the individual trunk lines are given short shrift in the big picture. As far as re-routing or short turning is concerned I believe they operate on the KISS principle in operations and planning. Simply put in this case if I were to run selected 3 trains on the WPR line and there was a delay or blockage up there I would be screwing up service on the 2 ,3, and maybe the 5 line , affecting the Lenox, Lexington, 7th Ave, Flatbush, and New Lots lines. The potential for problems outweigh any supposed benefit in the scenario I presented. Leave well enough alone. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Current IRT headways are in place to allow for GO's without having to thin out service any more. Both IRT trunk lines run 17.5 tph total. The TA knows that service guidelines are not being met, but with a hard 17.5 tph cap, there isn't much room for change - anything that's added on one line has to be taken off another.

Besides, trying to schedule a 10 minute 2 on the same track as a 12 minute 3 doesn't sound pretty - there will be inevitable conflicts.

The (5) has run express with the (2) in the Bronx during past GOs. The (5) can't terminate at 149 St during the daytime, it would get in the way of the (2) and (4). During late nights MTA should send the (5) via LCL there because the headway is 20 minutes (and provide a direct connection to the (4)). Running the (5) via 7 Av would be better than ending the (5) at 149 St.

I know the (5) has done passed Express service, just focused on some trips. And no the (5) would not get in the way of the (2) and (4). Just relay it at 138th Street in a timely manner.

Current IRT headways are in place to allow for GO's without having to thin out service any more. Both IRT trunk lines run 17.5 tph total. The TA knows that service guidelines are not being met, but with a hard 17.5 tph cap, there isn't much room for change - anything that's added on one line has to be taken off another.

Besides, trying to schedule a 10 minute 2 on the same track as a 12 minute 3 doesn't sound pretty - there will be inevitable conflicts.

Thanks for the help.I should have added the 3 line to the 10 minute headway part of my post. I worked at Lenox in the beginning of my career when the 2, 3, and 5 lines constituted the Lenox Division, pick-wise, and I should have remembered your point. It was definitely pointed out to me when the T/Ds used to have us work the sheets at 148th St as C/Rs. In essence they were teaching us the ATD-T./D job at the time. Thanks again

Thanks for the help.I should have added the 3 line to the 10 minute headway part of my post. I worked at Lenox in the beginning of my career when the 2, 3, and 5 lines constituted the Lenox Division, pick-wise, and I should have remembered your point. It was definitely pointed out to me when the T/Ds used to have us work the sheets at 148th St as C/Rs. In essence they were teaching us the ATD-T./D job at the time. Thanks again

I'd love to see it, but that would increase total service on the West Side trunk to 19.5 tph.

MTA already made an extra weekday (2) train express after midnight in recent years, they should do the same on weekends. There is a period where the 1 still runs more frequent than the (2) after midnight. The (2) shouldn't even be on the local track N/B until around 1:00am at Chambers.

I agree that the (2) should run express later into the night, but it should not run express all night. It would screw up (3) late night service and it isn't necessary.

Yeah, the (2) should stay express between 5 AM morning and 12 AM midnight. A long route with 49 stops daily and 61 at night really is very frustrated to me...

I honestly think the (2) does not need a change. But that is just me. You all have great reasons, but I think that the night service on the 7 Av is as fine as it is. But they need to short turn some (3) trains at 14 St is still my opinion. I am not a hater on the idea, but I think that it is fine. Unless there is one drastic reason, I will not change my mind.

As far as WPR goes during weekends, if they are going to keep the (5) capped at 20 minute headways going forward, the (2) should run every 10 minutes instead of every 12. And since the MTA won't change most anything unless it's cost-neutral, cap the (3) at 15 minute headways. That way, East side has a combined 18 tph (4 and 6=7.5 tph each, 5=3 tph) and West side has a combined 17.5 tph (1=7.5 tph, 2=6 tph,3=4 tph)

Overnight, the hours that the (2) runs express should match the 4's express hours, at least northbound. Southbound schedules can stay the same so it doesn't interfere with the 3 shuttle.

Everything else can stay the same

It can be improved, especially the (2) and the (6). Every IRT train needs to be at least every 8 minutes (except the (S) and the (3)) on weekends...

Kid, have you ever been on the (3) out there in Brooklyn? That line carries past Utica Av and the headways are a joke most of the time.

As a frequent (3) train rider, people would be up in arms if you screw them over like that

What problems do you have with that train?

I work a 1 train that leaves South Ferry a little before 1AM. If that 2 gets to Chambers St before we do, then the signals lock us out of the station and we have to wait for the 2 to cross over before we can even enter the station.....and then the same thing happens AGAIN at 96 St, as we'll be right behind it the entire way up, which always means we'll be running at least 5 minutes late (and it's my last trip of the night so....). On the plus side, when that happens at least I pick up next to nobody since they're all getting on the 2 ahead of us.

If we get to Chambers St before the 2 does, then we will have clear signals the whole way up, and strangely enough it doesn't work both ways so I HAVE actually made cross-platform transfers with that 2 local (and yes, we will always have the line up so get on the 1 rather than the 2 if you're going somewhere on the trunk).

Archived