Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

mark1447

120808-coslog-armstrong-1p.photoblog600.jpg

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news of "one giant leap for mankind." He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Armstrong and hiw wife, Carol, married in 1999, made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he had largely stayed out of public view in recent years.

He spoke at Ohio State University during a February event honoring fellow astronaut John Glenn and the 50th anniversary of Glenn becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. In May, Armstrong joined Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, at Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida to support the opening of The National Flight Academy, which aims to teach math and science to kids through an aviation-oriented camp.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-armstrong-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82

Another legend has come and gone, Neil Armstrong & his crewmates has shown that mankind can take a step onto somewhere never explored, mankind can travel distances never reached and than mankind is one revolutionary living thing. Indeed, he is a legend, an American icon, a Global icon, part of a major milestone in astronomy. Neil's first step will forever be remembered, rest in peace, you'll be missed.

yes, thats a much better way of describing him. thx for the correction

Joe

Only positive of his passing is a couple of generation of kids in US and worldwide who have never heard of Neil Armstong will now be interested. And hopefully in near future a movie made of Armstrong and his crew on that trip that changed our planet forever.

The celebrities of today in Hollywood and in sports/poiltics could take a page from a guy who basically faded away from world media attention for over 40 years, right after the trip to the moon.

Also keep in mind everyone the impact Neil Armstrong walk had on planet earth. Shows from "Star Trek"(which was cancelled as a tv series in same month as that "one small step event" lol in 1969) to "Star Wars" and the other sci-fi blockbuster movies and tv shows from 1970-2000 might have never been so popular without that event on July 20, 1969.

I actually missed seeing Armstrong stepping off the LEM at 10:56 PM EDTon July 20, 1969 I was almost 12 and we lived in Richmond Hill, Queens, but that day my family had gone to an engagement party for my cousin in East Meadow. I heard Armstrong say "Thats one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" on the radio in my dad`s 1966 Rambler Ambassador station wagon as we were approaching the toll booth on the Southern state Parkway in Valley Stream. They were where the State Police barracks are today.

Joe

What a great man. Wish I could have met him.

True. Considering he was part of a 3 man crew that made the most important discovery since Columbus trip to America(sorry guys Chris was not the 1st European in the so called "new world" :D )Neil Armstrong lived out of the media spotlight almost for rest of life.

For you NASA buffs this is an especially sad time, especially since the moon exploration generation is dying off.

sadly thats true of the 12 men who walked on the moon, 4 (Neil Armstrong, Pete Conrad, Alan Shepherd, and James Irwin) have died, and the other 8, Buzz Aldrin is 82, Alan Bean is 80, Edgar Mitchell is 81, David Scott is 80, John Young is 81, Charles Duke is 76, Gene Cernan is 78 and Harrison Schmitt is 77

Joe,

Neil Armstrong reads The inscription read: Here Men From The Planet Earth First Set Foot Upon the Moon, July 1969 A.D. We Came in Peace For All Mankind. Signatures of the astronauts and President Richard M. Nixon

R.I.P. Neil Armstring (August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012) You Are Indeed A True Humanitarian For Mankind.

Archived