new B6 service pattern

limitednyc

By reading all the responses, the only reason I see the (MTA) doing this is b/c after Rockaway, buses go local, and NOT limited to ENY...

Only way I see them changing thought about this is possibly eliminating a few more stops on the limited heading to ENY. Something to like after Van Sicklen (B83), than local to ENY.

For example.. After Rockaway..

B6 (LTD) to ENY...

- Penn Ave (B20) at Wortman

- Van Sicklen (B83)

than local to New Lots (3).

For canarsie stops: B60.

Canarsie/Bensonhurst bound

- Van Sicklen (B83)

- Penn

than (LTD) to bensonhurst

Canarsie coverage: B60.

Re-routing the Northbound B103 on the Prospect Expwy. It was supposed to take a "faster" route, but the new route only reduced its time on the highway, and added its time on the crowded Flatbush Av (and had it running right in front of Atlantic Terminal but not stopping, which is pretty stupid). The re-route occurred in February, but it was quietly changed back to its old route in July.

So about this B6 switcharoo, is this the MTA's latest hackneyed move to save $$$ or what?

Its a shame that they haven't put a stop at Atlantic Terminal yet

• 4 weeks later...

Makes sense for limiteds to go to ENY. Don't know why.

Did anyone get word of why the B6 LTDs are terminating at Rockaway yet?

I'm still searching for answers as it still seems unclear and illogical movement.

Yeah, very confusing. MFG, why can't the MTA say anything.

Maybe it's easier to make the service more reliable if it's shortened, and it's realy needed the most to the west of there?

yes u are right and probably most of the easten ridership is going to the L train and the ridership more matches the local service.

Maybe it's easier to make the service more reliable if it's shortened, and it's realy needed the most to the west of there?

The Limiteds aren't bunching up as much, but the locals now have a bigger problem with bus bunching. One has to wonder if the locals should only do the full route if it's the first or last trip.

The Limiteds aren't bunching up as much, but the locals now have a bigger problem with bus bunching. One has to wonder if the locals should only do the full route if it's the first or last trip.

The issue with the LTDs bunching was they removed time points along the route last year I believe as part of their pilot program for a headway based system over time points; the only points were Harway Ave, C I Ave, Rock Pk Sta & ENY... Given that new method, most operators started hauling ass coming down as LTD, getting to the end 15 mins hot.

They recently placed 2 or 3 time points back into their paddles because of it.

And shortening all LTDs to Rockaway is by far the stupidest idea they have when they could've just matched what's done to other LTD lines and just short turn every other LTD and all locals at Rockaway; let the other LTDs do the rest.

The issue with the LTDs bunching was they removed time points along the route last year I believe as part of their pilot program for a headway based system over time points; the only points were Harway Ave, C I Ave, Rock Pk Sta & ENY... Given that new method, most operators started hauling ass coming down as LTD, getting to the end 15 mins hot.

They recently placed 2 or 3 time points back into their paddles because of it.

And shortening all LTDs to Rockaway is by far the stupidest idea they have when they could've just matched what's done to other LTD lines and just short turn every other LTD and all locals at Rockaway; let the other LTDs do the rest.

That is precisely what I would do outside of rush hour...East New York does not need more than 15-minute headways on the B6 off-peak.

I doubt it. With the locals traveling further, it makes them more prone to bunching, and the locals run less frequently than the limiteds, so that means the gaps in service (in the event of bunching) are worse.

This.

• 1 year later...

There is talk going around Ulmer Park that the TA is going to be switching the LTD back to New Lotts Ave and the local only going to Rockaway Pkwy.

The way it used to be.

Good.

I wonder what the (MTA's) particular reasoning for (possibly) switching the 2 B6 patterns back is..... Better yet, why they have B6's LTD/local service the way it does now, in the first place....

Archived