Station agent list established

primomjr78

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I don't think you have a choice but to accept it. Since you took the CTA job in place until your name was reached for S/A, and you CTA title is non-civil service labor class, which you don't want to be under, especially with TA trying to get rid or cans on stations, which equals less cleaners needed. Plus since you're labor class means you don't qualify for any promotional exams either, and I assume you don't want to be a cleaner for the next 25 years. I know the agents who were laid off and brought back as CTA's, had to accept their old title back once their name was reached on the preferred list. Plus you'd be getting about a $6/hr raise off the bat, with another $1 coming after your anniversary date.

So guys I was looking at my ID and it states Cleaner "transit-labor class". Am I not entitled to write any upcoming promo exam ? I recently signed up for one in February and the $ was already deducted from my check. I am still on probae till the end of Dec. Help !

PS: Anyone know what # they reached up to on the SA list ? thx all.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats and welcome aboard Queenie86. Station Agent School is 0800-1600 (8am-4pm) M-F. Learn military time if you don't already know it, because its all we use down here as well as black pens only. You'll have to wear business attire to class everyday until you get your uniforms, it used to take two weeks when VF solutions had the TA uniform contract. Now with Lion it can take up to three months or longer. So don't be surprised if after your 30 day class period you still haven't gotten any uniforms or only peices of it. And also I won't ruin the surprise for you , but your in for a complete culture shock once you start working in the booth. You'll learn just how ridiculous New Yorkers can be . And you'll soon learn why some clerks have jaded looks in the booth. Most customers are great , but it just takes that one or te few to mess up your day. An your a female so you'll get it worst from customers for that reason , cause they won't fear you as a threat. But anyway goodluck with class, and don't worry if you don't remember eeything once you're on the road, most people are more than willing to help you if you ask for help. But friend me on here and once you've started class I'll recommend you to te stations Facebook page, so you keep up with the latest news in our department .

Also don't let the customers rush you from counting out their change, because you're responsible for any shortages no matter small they may be.

Also if you have any questions don't hesitate I ask while you're in class. And maybe I'll meet you on one of your road training days.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah they're moving along with the hiring process fairly smooth . They're having two AFC (automatic fare collection) classes a months which is right in with what it was when I get hired Nd how they've previously had classes for agents in the past. Each class has 20 people in it, and are held two weeks after the previous one before it started. I've already meet about two people newly hired.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Canyone tell me what's an (A10) code on your time card mean ?? I'm on the am shift and usually the pm shift does Reno. However, we got Reno today and it was listed in the back of our time card. Any info. much appreciated... ;)

Hopefully everything panned out for you today, and you hear back from them in 2 weeks or less to come back in for final processing.

Thanks everything went fine though I was there forever and a day. Now I just have to wait and hope I get into a class.

hey willbx or primo, what would be your best guess as to when the next station agent exam would be? I know 8011 just got established 5 months ago - think it’ll be another 2-3 years for the next one?

also - if I work as a train operator (I took that exam), is there any way to eventually transfer to station agent if I wanted? or would I have to follow the same process as someone off the street - take the exam, wait for my list number, pre-interview, etc etc?
or say I work as a train operator for year, then quit. would that hurt my chances for station agent, when the next exam eventually rolls around? what do you think?

(as you might notice from my questions, I’m doubting how interested I am in the train operator position...just trying to think through my options...)

To xklm, no one can really tell you when the next exam will be since many thought they'd never hire from the 2008 exam. But if I had to give it a guess I'd say 2015 or 2016. Also if you get called for T/O I wouldn't recommend going to S/A since its like a $4 decrease in pay and a much more riding public faced title. I feel if you can do the S/A or B/O job you can do any job in TA due to higher stress levels with both. But to answer your last question you'd have to be either medically demoted to S/A or take the open competitive job and resign from T/O. But at the rate they're hiring from the 2008 exam I don't expect them to get very high up the list. I'd give it up to list number 1000 and that's being very generous. They only reached list number 120-150 in the 5 months they've been hiring. So that's like a rate of 250 people a year. When I got called in 2006 they had classes of 20 every two weeks for 2 years straight. But at that time there was a lot more jobs and people retiring or promoting. They're having a station supervisor exam this February 9th and one list closing up this month. So if a lot of people take it and get promoted that will open up more positions. Well I hope that answered all of your questions. Have a good day.

awesome response, willbx, thank you so much. been following your super informative posts for awhile on these boards regarding the station agent position and understand there’s more uncertainty with the S/A position than there is with C/R and T/O.

I didn’t know someone could get medically demoted to a title they never held, like from T/O to S/A even if they’ve never been an S/A. interesting. I guess that would be a tricky (sleazy might be a better word!) way to work as a S/A. Get in as a T/O, get through training and the year probation, and then have somethin or other medical happen to ya...I know that’s a pretty wacky idea. and, yeah, it seems like most people would recommend working as a T/O, with the better pay and all...just thinking I might be more suited to working with the public, which I do in my current job. anyway, I’m at least a  year away from the possibility of T/O, so I’ve got some time to think.
cheers

I wouldn't say there's more uncertainty with the S/A title than C/R or T/O, because TA wants to take C/R off the trains with OPTO thus cutting their numbers as well. By law TA has to have a human presence on each station in the system. Until that laws changed they have to keep S/A's working. I just recommended T/O because of the pay and that's ultimately the title I want to get into soon. S/A is not a bad job at all, it's just the public you have to deal with and management. I mean I work at night and have lots of time to myself to study or whatever. I would say I only work maybe 3-4 hours of real work doing the night tour. But if you feel the jobs for you don't let me or anyone else discourage you, it pays really good and you can get lots of OT if you're willing to work it.

yeah, all good points. your night shift as an S/A sounds like my job working overnight at a hotel - about 3-4 hours of real work. of course the people I deal with are easier and more pleasant - most people are happy to stay at a hotel and only a handful of types complain very much. I can imagine the NYC riding public being a lot more difficult to deal with. course, S/A job pays twice as much, so it’d be worth the hassles. thanks for your input, will.
cheers

Archived