World's longest bus to debut in Germany

(Cross-posted from BusChat).

Original article here.

Basically, it's a 30 m (~98.4 ft) double-articulated hybrid bus with an advanced navigation/steering system slated for revenue service in Dresden, DE this October. I think it's neat, but I wonder how it'll both handle Dresden streets and affect traffic. It'd also be interesting to see whether or not other cities develop and purchase similar buses in the future...

• 2 months later...

I've seen pics of double artic buses in other countries, but nothing like that! Wow! It needs a "steering algorithm"! I wonder if it runs on QNX software for the steering.

Yeah, double arctic buses like the Van Hool AGG300 (which is one of my favourite buses).

And like the VDL Phileas.

http://www.vdlbuscoa...aspx?lang=en-US

The 26 m version is actually only 4 m shorter than the bus in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I wonder how big the depots must be over there to store and maintain these! Just picture NYCT with these!

Well, quite big I can tell you from my experience with Utrecht (here in The Netherlands) where they run double articulated Van Hools (which are slightly shorter than this one in Dresden).

But I still don't see what's so special about this bus. Like I said: the VDL Phileas 26m version is only 4 meters shorter and it has the same clever steering system and the same tram-like setup for quite some time longer than this German bus exists.

Archived