Train Handling...

Jamaica Line

When it comes to operating a push-pull train, does the engineer have to stop with the train stretched?

Not necessarily. Just stop at the marker.

Can railroad EMU's take throttle and brake like subway cars? Would using full throttle from a standing point be ok?

Full throttle from a stop (assuming all brakes are released) would work, just give a very rough ride. The brake is lapping (meaning zero->50% ->25% on the lever would not lead to any drop in brake pressure)

Not necessarily. Just stop at the marker.

Just to make sure we're on the same note by stretched I meant the train slack. Since I've read that locomotives should start pulling cars one or two cars at a time. Wonder if it's the same when the locomotive is in the back, having to push one or two cars at a time?

Just to make sure we're on the same note by stretched I meant the train slack. Since I've read that locomotives should start pulling cars one or two cars at a time. Wonder if it's the same when the locomotive is in the back, having to push one or two cars at a time?

That's more of freight advice, to prevent breaking couplers. In passenger operation it doesn't really matter unless you're running really long trains with powerful engines (NJT electrics). Even then poor train handling shouldn't give anything more than a very rough ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived