New $66M PATH control center will improve train service

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-84702200-1346245747_thumb.jpg[/float]Half a century after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey took over the old Hudson and Manhattan Railroad and renamed it the PATH, the bi-state agency unveiled a new $66 million control center intended to boost system wide capacity by 20 percent.

A computerized central control system means trains will be able to run just 4 minutes apart when the new center becomes operational in the coming months...

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-84702200-1346245747_thumb.jpg

Looks like the author of the article got the facts wrong. According to a person claiming to be a PATH employee, frequencies have not improved and have always been 3 minutes between trains since the 1930s.

Looks like the author of the article got the facts wrong. According to a person claiming to be a PATH employee, frequencies have not improved and have always been 3 minutes between trains since the 1930s.

I thought something was wrong with that myself. While I was reading that article I said I don't think I was waiting 10 mins on the platform during rush hour for a train. I thought it was just me. Then I said, let me see what other people have to say about this. Then proceeded to click on the forum discussion link.

They indeed got their facts wrong, I've personally done some wait testing too, and the PATH trains come every 3-5 minutes, some even 2 minutes. So, this new Control system would just benefit the flow of trains and not have delays entering and exiting Hoboken Terminal and Junction perhaps during peak hour, don't think it'll increase service visibly...

They indeed got their facts wrong, I've personally done some wait testing too, and the PATH trains come every 3-5 minutes, some even 2 minutes. So, this new Control system would just benefit the flow of trains and not have delays entering and exiting Hoboken Terminal and Junction perhaps during peak hour, don't think it'll increase service visibly...

Unless they mean for a train to pass every minute, whichI don't know if thy could help.

Archived