And Another One...

youngblaze

Police: Teen Punched MTA Bus Driver In Face, Fled

By: Tina Redwine

Police in the Bronx are looking for a teenager who they say boarded a Bx21 bus earlier this month, punched the driver in the face and ran off. NY1's Tina Redwine filed the following report.

Police are looking for a teen in a gray sweatshirt who they say sucker-punched a bus driver in the Bronx.

It happened two weeks ago on the Bx21.

A surveillance camera caught the suspect, who police say is about 15 years old, not paying his fare.

The driver told NY1 he didn't say a word about fare beating but when he opened the doors at a stop in Westchester Square, he was punched in the face.

He said he blacked out but the MTA says the attack was caught by the surveillance camera. The police department said it's not ready to release that video.

The MTA said as of June, there were 69 assaults on drivers, down a bit from a year before but still frightening to those behind the wheel.

"Most of the time we're all alone out there," said one driver. "It's rough."

The union said it's particularly tough in the Bronx, which has had more assaults this year than any other borough.

The MTA said it's installed cameras on 583 buses and driver protection barriers on 642 buses to deter crime.

Riders said it's unfortunate that this bus didn't have a barrier.

"Although it's a felony to hit a bus driver, I mean, what protection do they really have?" said one rider.

The police department said it's had patrol cops board buses on problem routes since the spring and the MTA says it's been a deterrent. But the union said drivers report rarely seeing police.

"They still have not had a presence on the bus," said TWU Board Member Frank Austin. "If you ask any bus operator, that's what we have been asking for and the union has been asking for. But unfortunately, it hasn't happened."

Anyone with information on the case should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

SOURCE: http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/167818/police--teen-punched-mta-bus-driver-in-face--fled

Heard this yesterday, and that sucks.

The MTA thinks cameras is the best protection out there...... Yeah to capture the person on film, not live! Plus most of the time, the cameras may not be working..

We need to see more officers on board to cut this crap down... While its nice that there are buses with the protective door, there are still some buses with a gap between the glass and windshield glass. So the driver is still at risk of an attack. That has also got to be resolved.

Heard this yesterday, and that sucks.

The MTA thinks cameras is the best protection out there...... Yeah to capture the person on film, not live! Plus most of the time, the cameras may not be working..

We need to see more officers on board to cut this crap down... While its nice that there are buses with the protective door, there are still some buses with a gap between the glass and windshield glass. So the driver is still at risk of an attack. That has also got to be resolved.

What I don't get is why these cameras and all other survaillance cameras aren't HD.

What I don't get is why these cameras and all other survaillance cameras aren't HD.

HD really doesn't matter. HD is more about resolution size. As long as its being filmed in a good quality, thats ok. Even tho most Security cameras have a different quality.

I punched a cop in the face and I walked away with a fine and 1 anger mgmt class

so this whole felony thing is not that serious so.............................................

*picture in debate*

That's true, just watch the words that you use in the picture...

I punched a cop in the face and I walked away with a fine and 1 anger mgmt class

so this whole felony thing is not that serious so.............................................

I mean, I gotta figure it wasn't outta nowhere like these fools on the bus but you got off easy...I was off 14th St once and a cop randomly arrests a guy, the guy's friend comes over to talk and the cop punches him away, hard. Brother hits back and they locked him up for assaulting an officer and threw the book at him, not sure if he's even out yet.

Archived