53rd street CBTC project when will finish?

alekr

I noticed that when I walked throught the Court Square transfer there was a big fat sign saying that the CBTC project on the 53rd street tunnel will be finished by 3rd quarter of 2012.

When is the 3rd quarter of 2012?

I hope they will install countdown clocks on the 53rd street corridor since it is so packed!

I noticed that when I walked throught the Court Square transfer there was a big fat sign saying that the CBTC project on the 53rd street tunnel will be finished by 3rd quarter of 2012.

When is the 3rd quarter of 2012?

I hope they will install countdown clocks on the 53rd street corridor since it is so packed!

The 3rd quarter of 2012 is now. There's no CBTC there, and there would be no point in putting it there until the Queens Blvd Line has it too, which won't happen for at least five years or so if I'm remembering correctly. I think I might have saw the same sign, talking about signal improvements, which you might have interpreted to mean CBTC.

I think that's an important point on the signal work as it was planned for the MTA to install countdown clocks down the Queens Bvld Line. And this being before the actual work for CBTC projected to start years later. If the plan was originally to install this network of clocks down additional stations on the QBL and the 8th Avenue line according to statements by the MTA last year then it would make sense to expect a possible tentative install of countdown clocks on the 53rd Street corridor after this current work is finally finished, aside from the advantage of increased capacity and reduced wait times the results of a major signal upgrade on this corridor would offer Queens residents.

IMO the 63 street tracks should connect to the Eighth Avenue Line as well, because there really is no need for two locals on 6 Avenue.

It isn't as easy as 'add a connection from 8th av to 63rd st'. I forget exactly where the track configurations of CPW starts to shift (locals on the left and express on the right), but by no means going to be a cheap fix. Plus that's what W4th st is for to allow the lines to split off. Maybe to compensate, they should run some extra (C) trains to fill the gaps and have some short turn at WTC.

It isn't as easy as 'add a connection from 8th av to 63rd st'. I forget exactly where the track configurations of CPW starts to shift (locals on the left and express on the right), but by no means going to be a cheap fix. Plus that's what W4th st is for to allow the lines to split off. Maybe to compensate, they should run some extra (C) trains to fill the gaps and have some short turn at WTC.

they can connect it north of 59th st, all they have to do is extend that tunnel on the B'way tunnel( 63rd st) and have it switch towards the right have it go straight until it hits CPW then it turns and connects with the local track theres 2 levels in the 63rd st and CPW tunnels so this wouldn't be so hard if they did decide to do that

also they need to run the (E) via broadway again, it was much easier than the (E) via 63rd, atleast the people can connect with the lexington ave line without walking up 4 flights of stairs and 3 blocks just to get to the (6)

what they should do is just have the (R) replace the (E) at night, who gives a shit if the (E) riders whine, it serves no purpose to have the (E) run on 6th ave and 63rd st in both directions anyway, this is why they need to use their brains, I rerember when the (R) replaced the (E) in 2001 when they closed 53rd st and these (E) riders whent apeshit all because the (R) was a local so eversince then they never really took the (E) OOS and replaced it with another line during the 53rd st GO's

what they should do is just have the (R) replace the (E) at night, who gives a shit if the (E) riders whine, it serves no purpose to have the (E) run on 6th ave and 63rd st in both directions anyway, this is why they need to use their brains, I rerember when the (R) replaced the (E) in 2001 when they closed 53rd st and these (E) riders whent apeshit all because the (R) was a local so eversince then they never really took the (E) OOS and replaced it with another line during the 53rd st GO's

25965057.jpg

I think he meant for instances like this where the (E) has to be diverted onto 6th av. But as great as it would be for flexibility, I don't see the use of it especially if it is going to be rarely used. R32 3838 has a point about how they would be better off running the (E) via Broadway (but not sure if Broadway really needs 4 lines running there on weekends). 6th av makes sense because weekends there's just the (D)(F), so the (E) won't obstruct 6th av.

If we're going to build something of that scale today, idealy it should be for normal regular service. digging up part of central park so the E can reach 8th when 53rd is closed is a waste of money if you ask me. not to mention when SAS opens, If I'm reading this right, they're going to mess up the Q.

The 3rd quarter of 2012 is now. There's no CBTC there, and there would be no point in putting it there until the Queens Blvd Line has it too, which won't happen for at least five years or so if I'm remembering correctly. I think I might have saw the same sign, talking about signal improvements, which you might have interpreted to mean CBTC.

Check your facts before you post. 53rd St along with the re signaled section of 8th Av around Canal St and the (F) line from Bergen to Ditmas Av have or will have CBTC capabilities were their respective signal upgrades are complete.

Check your facts before you post. 53rd St along with the re signaled section of 8th Av around Canal St and the (F) line from Bergen to Ditmas Av have or will have CBTC capabilities were their respective signal upgrades are complete.

I see. I hadn't heard anything about CBTC besides the Culver Line and the Queens Blvd Line. Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

I think he meant for instances like this where the (E) has to be diverted onto 6th av. But as great as it would be for flexibility, I don't see the use of it especially if it is going to be rarely used. R32 3838 has a point about how they would be better off running the (E) via Broadway (but not sure if Broadway really needs 4 lines running there on weekends). 6th av makes sense because weekends there's just the (D)(F), so the (E) won't obstruct 6th av.

I would have it run at night on B'way only like they did in the past, during the day it ran via 6th ave because of what you mentioned about having 3 B'way services

53rd street is part of Queens IND for such purposes. IND Line D is being made CBTC. It is the next CBTC scheduled after the 7.

Last thing I've heard was that the Queens Bvld Line (Along with a part of the IND Culver Viaduct) was to be next in line for CBTC after the Flushing IRT signal upgrade to CBTC is completed. First contract to be awarded in 2013.

The Culver CBTC will only be a test track. F trains will not need to be equipped with CBTC for its southern end.

Concourse only provides trains for the D train, which follows the following path- IND C - IND A - IND B - BMT A - BMT F - BMT D. CBTC won't be needed anywhere along that route in the near future.

IND D is used by the E F M and R, running from 42/8 to 179/Hillside

Archived