Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Abba

Mta's Trash can pilot expands

[float=left]post-5097-0-23421300-1346379914_thumb.jpg[/float] Due to positive results shown over the past several months, (MTA) New York City Transit is expanding the pilot program to remove trash cans from stations.

The pilot originated in two stations with the goal of reducing the number of exposed trash bags that would have to be removed from the system and to help control the rodent population in the subway. We're asking riders who use the ten stations covered by the expanded pilot to be part of the solution by taking their trash with them out of the system for disposal.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-23421300-1346379914_thumb.jpg

Well I hope they do this a Parsons-Archer because there is alot of trash there on the tracks.

Then removing trashcans will only make it worse.

They technically didn't remove the trashcans at Main st, since its a terminal and they have to clean the trains at that station.

• Upvote 3

Either you can have this, you can have better enforcement, or you can have the MTA ban food and/or newspapers.

Oh of course let's shell out $104 a month to ride in a subway that doesnt even have trash cans anymore... the MTA sure knows how to treat its customers..

Fk this bs!! They are making it sounds like a lot of people out there don't trash properly. I trash the right way all the time. Now I gotta hold on to my own crap? I sure hope this program fails. Because I'm sure it may just fail.. I still see people littering outside the bin.

If they wanna cut down on garbage, ENFORCE the current NO LITTERING RULE!!

• Upvote 1

^THANK YOU.

What does it say about you when you litter 2 inches from a trash can? That you are a lazy SLOB.

This is all about them eliminating the cleaner position....rest assured.....nothing to do with rat problem!!!

• Upvote 2

Guest Lance

That sounds about right. After all, you don't go about trying to get rid of the trash problem by removing all the trash cans.

Fk this bs!! They are making it sounds like a lot of people out there don't trash properly. I trash the right way all the time. Now I gotta hold on to my own crap? I sure hope this program fails. Because I'm sure it may just fail.. I still see people littering outside the bin.

If they wanna cut down on garbage, ENFORCE the current NO LITTERING RULE!!

In some weird way I think this is a way for them to generate more money for the system....I am not saying you but just think about all the people with kids that by mcd's french fries and kids meals and they have a stroller and bag and all this stuff and you think they are going to hold on to garbage?? no.....it is going to end up right on the ground.....and if they are lucky mr ticket agent will be around and guess what?? You will get a littering ticket.....this sounds like a jackpot for the city....give the person who came up with idea a raise and a promotion!!....

Bump:

http://new.mta.info/news/2014/01/27/trash-can-removal-pilot-expand

Trash Can Removal Pilot to Expand

January 27th, 2014

m_train.jpg?itok=rnK3Mnti

Pilot Expanded to J and M Lines

Results of the ongoing pilot removing trash cans from subway stations are favorable to the point of warranting expansion of the program to another 29 stations, while maintaining the trial at the current ten stations.
Removing trash cans from stations allows us to reduce the amount of trash that must to be stored on platforms and in refuse rooms and then removed from the system each day.  The pilot began in two stations in October, 2011 and expanded to ten stations in September, 2012.  So far, the pilot has seen a reduction in trash volumes as well as several other benefits, including:

• A 66% reduction in the number of bags collected
  • Reduction of bags frees cleaners to perform other duties
  • Rodent population either decreased or unchanged
  • Moderate to heavy litter levels decreased in pilot stations

The expansion calls for the removal of refuse cans in 29 stations along the j.png and m.png Lines.   Baseline conditions will be established at each station, station cleanliness and trash collection will be monitored regularly and track cleaning will be increased.
“The results have been for the most part very positive and we have seen some behavioral changes by riders,” said Department of Subways, SVP Joe Leader.  “We will expand the pilot to stations between Broad Street and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer in order to gauge the impact along an entire line segment.”
The decision to remove the trash cans was made in an effort to guide customers to take with them any disposables that they carry into the system.  Currently, trash collection and removal is a tremendous undertaking.  Each day, about 40 tons of trash is removed from the system, collected from more than 3,500 trash receptacles.
Eleven refuse collection trains cover 359 out of the system’s 468 stations with the remainder visited by refuse collection trucks.  The refuse collection trains compete with passenger trains for space along the tracks and their overnight movements can be hampered by system maintenance which may require the closing of line segments.

• Upvote 1

I love how they tote all the benefits of trashcan-less stations while ignoring the enormous elephant in the room. That is, no trash cans equals dirtier stations, tracks and trains. Of course, we all know the real reason why they're removing all the garbage cans and it's not for terrorism reasons like the PATH. They can cut station cleaner and garbage train pick up jobs since there isn't anything to collect. It's absolutely hilarious how the MTA will inundate us with PSAs about preventing littering at many stations and on the new tech trains, but at the same time, they remove the facilities to actually prevent littering. Go figure.

On that note, I guarantee you the amount of trash picked up during FASTRACKs will increase dramatically, but they've been toting that for a while as well, regardless of how little this has impacted weekend and late night service disruptions as of late. Alas, that's a story for another day.

• Upvote 2

Really, removing trash cans? That is the stupidest thing I've heard yet. Luckily the cleaners at Main Street leave some trash cans for people to throw out their garbage, but what the hell?

Oh, look we want to prevent littering so we should remove trash cans so people can throw their crap where? On the train? On the tracks? In the station? 

I guess their plan is to turn the subway from being full of graffiti to full of trash. And they are doing it now on elevated lines, meaning that the streets will be filled with trash. In my opinion, this is surely a very smart idea (being sarcastic).

I find on a regular basis that trash cans are bursting at the seems with garbage in the late hours. This leads to people chucking their trash on top and leaving a pile. If anything littering is countered by more cans and frequent pick ups. On top of that giving NYers tickets after leaving them with no place to throw their garbage is quite literally leaving us holding the bag.

I find on a regular basis that trash cans are bursting at the seems with garbage in the late hours. This leads to people chucking their trash on top and leaving a pile. If anything littering is countered by more cans and frequent pick ups. On top of that giving NYers tickets after leaving them with no place to throw their garbage is quite literally leaving us holding the bag.

No surprise there, it's all for profit.

If the MTA wants to run some initiatives to better its farebox recovery I'm all for that. But, in light of the situation where trash collection is poor as it is, of course it increases litter. The message is the MTA doesn't care about garbage, so the average person will take a cue from that (right or wrong), especially when many riders VIVIDLY remember the 70s/80s and how the TA used to care for the system. Any steps in that direction will re-validate old behaviors.

Not to mention the exploitative scheme of getting rid of the cans and then ticketing litterers will certainly lower the public's regard for the agency.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it, one of the biggest issues with the system right now is litter. And, make no mistake, the MTA has no idea or doesn't give a rat's ass on how to deal with it.. I believe it is humiliating for the city as a whole, especially when people who have never visited before witness this.