Question on brake pressure and speedometer.

B3 Via Av U

Hey guys!

I am wondering about the air brake gauge on the trains. While watching it today from the window of a disabled R68 cab that had not been covered that, thankfully, had a working brake pressure gauge, I noticed that the black needle stayed stationary while the red needle flew around when the brake was applied. My question is, what exactly does the red and black needle mean? I would also like to ask why the speedometer on the disabled R68 cabs remain at 0 when the train is flying down the express tracks. I'd also like to ask if the reverser is set to reverse and the throttle is put into power, will the train back up/operate in reverse?

In order from the best of my knowledge...

1. the stationary one is for the tanks while the moving one is for the regular brake pressure whenever the T/O applies the brakes ( a T/O could elaborate more)

2. They disabled the speedometers (if it's still there to begin with)

3. It will go in reverse

4. Not sure about the Advance button, may have something to do with coupling the cars. The R46s have it too

5. Another way of opening the doors without leaving the seat for OPTO purposes. Not sure how often its used, if ever

6. If memory serves me right, that's to operate the train with the doors open in case of an emergency. Once again, a T/O can elaborate

4. Not sure about the Advance button, may have something to do with coupling the cars. The R46s have it too

5. Another way of opening the doors without leaving the seat for OPTO purposes. Not sure how often its used, if ever

4. I believe so, as it's right above the keyhole to activate the coupler.

5. Say a guy gets crushed by the door since the train operator is on the right. Whatever happened to Local Recycle?

Also, is the NTT reverser a switch or a wrench like older cars?

6. If memory serves me right, that's to operate the train with the doors open in case of an emergency. Once again, a T/O can elaborate

The T/O opens the doors with the door enablers. It's standard practice during revenue operation.

5. Say a guy gets crushed by the door since the train operator is on the right. Whatever happened to Local Recycle?

Why would a guy get crushed by the door? If the train is in OPTO, the only purpose the door enablers serve is to open the doors. the T/O would have to get up and go to the relevant side of the train and visually confirm that the doors are clear before closing them with the wall mounted door controls.

Not sure about the reverse switch on the NTTs though, but it is probably still either wrench, or the safety, or it is operated through the diagnostic panel.

Hey guys!

I am wondering about the air brake gauge on the trains. While watching it today from the window of a disabled R68 cab that had not been covered that, thankfully, had a working brake pressure gauge, I noticed that the black needle stayed stationary while the red needle flew around when the brake was applied. My question is, what exactly does the red and black needle mean? I would also like to ask why the speedometer on the disabled R68 cabs remain at 0 when the train is flying down the express tracks. I'd also like to ask if the reverser is set to reverse and the throttle is put into power, will the train back up/operate in reverse?

Red needle indicates how much air pressure is being applied, black indicates how much air is reserved for the emergency brakes

Speedometer not working is common on the 68

Reverser is set to Neutral on all other cars except the t/o's position when they set the direction of travel

Another question: What does the Advance button do on the R160, and whyare there Left Door Open and Left Door Close buttons on the driver's console? And what does the Door Bypass button do?

Advanced has something to do with the electrical connections between trains when coupling, so they can touch each other

door control buttons on the console is for opto

door bypass is to move the train when the doors are open. When the train is in a yard or in the shop, or when theres a door problem and train has to be taken out of service with doors open.

The doors will still open and close the usual way and he would still get an indication when all the doors are closed and locked

The "reverser" on the NTT cars is actually a knob-like thing (can't find the right word for it) that says forward and reverse, but it's useless unless you insert a special key (forgot the name of it) and turn it to the "on" position

The doors will still open and close the usual way and he would still get an indication when all the doors are closed and locked

The "reverser" on the NTT cars is actually a knob-like thing (can't find the right word for it) that says forward and reverse, but it's useless unless you insert a special key (forgot the name of it) and turn it to the "on" position

Oh yea, that's right. Now I remember.

img_52539.jpgThe reverser should be the silver circle on below the yellow horn actuator. You can see the three notches that designate the F, N, and R settings.

Really? I never saw the T/O press the door buttons any time while I was looking at them the entire trip.

Those button are in ever class after the R38s. The T.O. presses the button on the correct side which "Enables" the doors on that side. After that the conductor opens the door. Without the T.O. pressing the buttons the doors will not open when the conductor tries to open them. On the earler classes , (R38 and Prior) the Conductor did all the work,

Why would a guy get crushed by the door? If the train is in OPTO, the only purpose the door enablers serve is to open the doors. the T/O would have to get up and go to the relevant side of the train and visually confirm that the doors are clear before closing them with the wall mounted door controls.

Not sure about the reverse switch on the NTTs though, but it is probably still either wrench, or the safety, or it is operated through the diagnostic panel.

I'm not 100% sure how this works in OPTO. But the train operator would still have to hit the door enabler, then get up go to the door control board, open the door , close the door , make sure no ones trapped or jammed in a door. Then he would be on his way. Take a look at the Franklin shuttle next time as it is OPTO.

Oh yea, that's right. Now I remember.

img_52539.jpgThe reverser should be the silver circle on below the yellow horn actuator. You can see the three notches that designate the F, N, and R settings.

The reverser is actually on the other side right near the throttle/brake handle

Why are there Left Door Open and Left Door Close buttons on the driver's console?

(S) Franklin Av. That is all.

Wrench. Just like all the others.

There is no throttle or brake handle on an R160.

Yep. Lever control boys.

Never knew the NTTs ran on the Franklin (S)...guess you learn something new every day

No they don't, still the good ol' 68's. What does SP CHG mean on the keyhole?

I also assume that since the handle is vertical, the train operator turns it horizontial and holds it as such for the entirety of the time he is operating.

No they don't, still the good ol' 68's. What does SP CHG mean on the keyhole?

I also assume that since the handle is vertical, the train operator turns it horizontial and holds it as such for the entirety of the time he is operating.

Yes that's how the deadman works on the NTTs

Keep you wrenches home

Thank You.

Wow I guess I am losing the touch. I havent been in an NTT cab for quite a while, so I must have forgotten. Lol love how they put MAX Power and MIN Power. They got the Coast correct though lmao.

Never knew the NTTs ran on the Franklin (S)...guess you learn something new every day

I guess people don't interpret the way they used to anymore...

Anyways, do you really need a conductor for a 4 Car Consist NTT? Thats why they have the door control in the cab.

Archived