Track mateinance at 179st for 4 days already

Abba

MTA Service Info

Delays  Posted: 08/30/2012  8:34PM

Due to track maintenance at the Jamaica-179 Street Station,(F) trains are running with delays in both directions at this time.

So what the real story behind this.Im posting a new thread cause in the unplanned changes one no one responded to,a post about it.And in my opinion it's,pretty worthwhile news that deserves its own thread.

MTA Service Info

Delays Posted: 08/30/2012 8:34PM

Due to track maintenance at the Jamaica-179 Street Station, (F) trains are running with delays in both directions at this time.

So what the real story behind this.Im posting a new thread cause in the unplanned changes one no one responded to,a post about it.And in my opinion it's,pretty worthwhile news that deserves its own thread.

the Local Northbound track is getting roadbed work, so that side of track is closed until they complete it, it should take a week to complete, so (F) trains are turning around on on track (the express tracks) so thats whats causing the delays, (E) trains are skipping 75tn and van wyck until after 10 pm because of this so when the (F) is backed up the (E) won't get backed up as well, so i would ether take the (E) to the Q 43 or walk to avoid the delays

On Tuesday, I noticed the southernmost of the 2 Coney-Island tracks was in service when I was getting on at 179th. The northernmost of the 2 Coney-Island tracks had a non-passenger train stored on it. Trains were running every 5 minutes or less out of 179th at rush-hour. Once we left 179th, it was smooth sailing all the way thru Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn. No delays leaving 179th.

However, I noticed a huge group of passengers at Union Turnpike waiting for a 179th bound train around 6:15pm (the crowd was three-deep), which led me to believe there hadn't been a 179th bound train there for at least 10 minutes. Usually the service is much more frequent than that. I don't think they cut the headways so it must have just been a delay in service.

What does the Jamaica–179 Street track arrangement look like anyway? The usual place to view track maps isn't very clear (NYCSubway.org).

The tracks split north of the station, with four tracks on the upper level and two on the lower level (where (F) trains relay).

Reread my previous post:

What does the Jamaica–179 Street track arrangement look like anyway? The usual place to view track maps isn't very clear (NYCSubway.org).

The diagram is the problem. It's not clear. Dotted lines are for the lower level tracks, but the there are dotted lines crossing each other in a way that doesn't make sense. How are the 8 storage tracks (4 on each level) connected?

Reread my previous post:

The diagram is the problem. It's not clear. Dotted lines are for the lower level tracks, but the there are dotted lines crossing each other in a way that doesn't make sense. How are the 8 storage tracks (4 on each level) connected?

By the local tracks. The local tracks split right after the station... go to 179th and look for yourself just beyond the station.

From what I remember of the station at 179th street when I used to live in Jamaica, the center tracks D-3 and D-4 heads to the upper level while the outer tracks (D-1 and D-2) goes to the lower level. Four tracks on each level for a total of eight tracks.

A person taking a view down the tunnel from the end of the station will see that the local tracks definitely takes a completely different path from the express tracks. Going further, from how the station was designed, the lower level was specifically designed to be relay tracks, while the upper level was built as a preface to an extension via Hillside Avenue.

.... And yes that map doesn't help much. It really isn't clear.

By the local tracks. The local tracks split right after the station... go to 179th and look for yourself just beyond the station.

They probably won't let anyone stay on the train beyond the station. I'm curious how the trains crossover to the other local track to relay. The diagram shows a big diamond crossover that crosses over 2 center tracks spawned from the local tracks. I don't think that's what it looks like.

EDIT: Okay. This makes sense:

Otherwise, this should clear it:

http://www.nycsubway...n_schematic.gif

Warning: Very small lines.

Yep track work at 179th St (F) Station... Here are some photos of the track repair plus others from the last weekend G.O. I thought you guys may find this interesting, credits to the MTA Employee Leonard Wiggins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/sets/72157631403190816/

Ah! So the local tracks resemble something like 2 Avenue–Lower East Side. That leaves the express tracks which seem to have no analog.

Archived