So called "Express" Runs

Juelz4309

Not rush hours. 86th to 14th, the express are crawling because of all the trains in front. That's why I stuck with the (6) as at least I can get a seat by 59th. Middays, yes, the express are better.

Morning rush hour is always a hit or miss for delays. If there's no delays then the (4)(5) save a substantial amount of time. Plus you can usually get in the first (4)(5) that comes, but you might have to let one or two (6) trains go by before you can find room to get in.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if you get on the first train, it's still a slow ride. From 42nd to 14th, there's no difference as the trains slows to a stop by 23rd. For me, that 10 min savings does nothing for me if I'm stressed from being packed in like a sardine. I'll stick with the local and the seat, which will offset the extra minutes from leaving early.

Going uptown it basically depends on which lines are 'racing'. The C will pretty much always beat the D, but the A will pretty much always beat the B. (having to go down to the local level really slows trains down.) Between the A and C it could pretty much go either way, things like acceleration or how long the C is stationary at 135th can affect it, although I'd probably lean more toward the C on an average day. Sometimes you see a virtual tie.

Going downtown, the locals generally are faster.

Why are there so many people saying the CPW Express doesn't save time?

Yeah, between 145th, and 125th the local's probably a better bet, but between 125th and 59th, i's actually worth it to not get on the local, and wait for the express. (Except weekends, or if you're late to something)

Unless the uptown (A) is delayed by traffic, I'm pretty sure that it'll always beat the (C) from 125 St to 145 St, even if only by a few seconds or so. Keep in mind that the downtown (A) has to go over a couple of switches there that the (C) doesn't.

Yes, but I lived there for a year, so i'm pretty knoweladgebale on the speed there. In both directions the express can beat out the local, except during weekends or late nights.

Yes, but I lived there for a year, so i'm pretty knoweladgebale on the speed there. In both directions the express can beat out the local, except during weekends or late nights.

I wouldn't really say it's clear-cut like that. Factors like how long the (C) is in 135th or how fast the (A) train drives can make a difference. And for the (D), having to use the switch to go the lower level slows it down, that's usually exactly where the (C) overtakes it. And going downtown, since the timers on the express tracks goes on for most of the stretch, if the local isn't in 135th for too long it's not hard for it to beat the express.

I got on an R32 (C) today over at 86, while we stopped at 110, the Uptown (D) flew past us. So as we stop in 116, I look out the window then I see the D in a complete stop. Then we enter 125, and the D leaves slightly first, maybe a 2 seconds apart... D is sort off crawling to 145 as the C stops and then zooms past the first car of the D that still hasnt enter the Lower Lvl 6 av track for 145... I also think the R32 is way faster on the C then the A, and something got to happen on these slow A/D CPW Exp trains...

Quick question..

Ive always wondered why the Uptown (A)(C)(E) dont zoom into 42 St yet the Downtown do... yea its a bit of a stupid question but ill like to know

I wouldn't really say it's clear-cut like that. Factors like how long the (C) is in 135th or how fast the (A) train drives can make a difference. And for the (D), having to use the switch to go the lower level slows it down, that's usually exactly where the (C) overtakes it. And going downtown, since the timers on the express tracks goes on for most of the stretch, if the local isn't in 135th for too long it's not hard for it to beat the express.

Oh no no, the local will almost ALWAYS beat out the express at 135th. This is just specifically the 125-59th part.

Quick question..

Ive always wondered why the Uptown (A)(C)(E) dont zoom into 42 St yet the Downtown do... yea its a bit of a stupid question but ill like to know

I could be wrong, but I would assume, it's because the tracks turn slightly to accommodate the different platform styles between 34th and 42nd, while coming from 50th, the (A) is already apart from the (C) because of the rising (E) track, so it's a straight shot in.

I got on an R32 (C) today over at 86, while we stopped at 110, the Uptown (D) flew past us. So as we stop in 116, I look out the window then I see the D in a complete stop. Then we enter 125, and the D leaves slightly first, maybe a 2 seconds apart... D is sort off crawling to 145 as the C stops and then zooms past the first car of the D that still hasnt enter the Lower Lvl 6 av track for 145... I also think the R32 is way faster on the C then the A, and something got to happen on these slow A/D CPW Exp trains...

The fact that the (D) came to a complete stop shows that it was delayed by congestion.

Quick question..

The track coming downtown into 42 St is downhill, so the trains pick up a lot of speed. 45 or even 50 MPH is possible there.

• 2 weeks later...

I once was on an (E) train on the Queens Boulevard line and suddenly this (V) train passes by like it was express, its like local is the new express, another example if youre on the 6th Avenue line and a (D) and (M) train arrives at 34th Street, then when you reach West 4th Street, the (M) is only like a minute behind, shows how express trains are going slower

I once was on an (E) train on the Queens Boulevard line and suddenly this (V) train passes by like it was express, its like local is the new express, another example if youre on the 6th Avenue line and a (D) and (M) train arrives at 34th Street, then when you reach West 4th Street, the (M) is only like a minute behind, shows how express trains are going slower

Please don't say its because of the 75 footers which are indeed fast regardless of their weight and less motors & horsepower...

BTW, its obivious that (M) must have picked up for just quicker seconds at 23rd and 14th before it left. It happens with every other train. The 6 Av Express reduces 2 minutes from the local which takes about 3-4 minutes.

Express trains goes slow because more people wants the express and therefore you have nearly back to back trains. The locals don't have as many trains and can run at a normal pace. The main time savings for an express is not having to stop at every stop, but otherwise if the net savings is 10-15 min, I'm taking the Local. 10 min saved isn't worth it if I'm stressed out from being packed into a sardine can.

Remember that when you ride the express, you are still traveling the same distance (with two exceptions which I'm sure would have been pointed out if I didn't make this footnote) as the local. Just because there aren't as many stations between point A and B doesn't mean that there won't be track gangs, slow speed orders, or train congestion....which might not be on the local track at that given time.

What are you talking about? Everyone knows the express is faster than the local. That's why they're called "expresses".

Not intended to be a serious statement.

What are you talking about? Everyone knows the express is faster than the local. That's why they're called "expresses".

Obviously you're joking around but, I mean, they SHOULD be faster than the local. It's a pretty reasonable assumption for Joe-subway-rider to make that the express is gonna move faster...if anything it's a failure on the part of the MTA if the local runs faster than the express (which happens a lot).

--

So for the first time in my life, my 6 at 86th didn't go express to 125, but instead stopped at 96th and then went express to 125. I want to marry the woman who was the C/R for that run.

So then what the heck is that McDonalds express at Houston & Varick?

Obviously you're joking around but, I mean, they SHOULD be faster than the local. It's a pretty reasonable assumption for Joe-subway-rider to make that the express is gonna move faster...if anything it's a failure on the part of the MTA if the local runs faster than the express (which happens a lot).

Great, next thing I know we'll have people picketing for the MTA to give them a refund if the local ever beats the express......

Everybody, LISTEN CAREFULLY. If you are riding my S/B (1) on Sunday night, and we come into 96 St and it says the next express is 5 or more minutes away, it is NOT going to beat me to Chambers!!! Furthermore, we run on 8-10 minute headways, which means that when my train is at 96 St, my leader is at 34 St. Even if there's a (2) right across the platform from me, there is NO WAY IN HELL it is going to catch up to my leader. I don't want to see you holding the door while you decide to get off or stay on, and then see you board my train AGAIN at 14 or Chambers St. If you're going from 116 to Christopher St there's no reason to be changing trains..........

Everybody, LISTEN CAREFULLY. If you are riding my S/B (1) on Sunday night, and we come into 96 St and it says the next express is 5 or more minutes away, it is NOT going to beat me to Chambers!!! Furthermore, we run on 8-10 minute headways, which means that when my train is at 96 St, my leader is at 34 St. Even if there's a (2) right across the platform from me, there is NO WAY IN HELL it is going to catch up to my leader. I don't want to see you holding the door while you decide to get off or stay on, and then see you board my train AGAIN at 14 or Chambers St. If you're going from 116 to Christopher St there's no reason to be changing trains..........

The only time I transfer is when my destination is an express stop or the two merge (like the (A)(C) or (Q)(N)) In your experience and your example: if the (2) is 5min away at 96th and the rider was going from 116 to 34th, would they save time?

No. It's 10 minutes on the local from 96 to 34, and about 7 minutes on the express. If you stay on the 1, you'll get to 34 in 10 minutes. If you get off and wait for the 2/3 that is 5 minutes away, then you'll get there in 12 minutes. The other factor is that you are already on the 1 train. Just because the countdown clock says the next express is 5 minutes away, doesn't mean that it wouldn't get held up or delayed. The same thing could happen to your train, but at least you KNOW that your 1 train is there.

Now honestly, how many of you coming from the Upper Broadway line and going to 72 St would actually TRANSFER at 96???? The only way I would ever do that is if both trains were coming into the station at the same time and I was in a hurry.

Great, next thing I know we'll have people picketing for the MTA to give them a refund if the local ever beats the express......

Relax! I didn't shoot a personal insult on you or anyone. I'm well aware of how the system works, and I almost never transfer from the local to the express, as the local is generally almost as fast. I spent five years taking the 1/9 train to Chambers every day, I'm familiar with this stuff! I had one point, though, and I still do: it IS counterintuitive that the system runs in such a way that the local so frequently beats the express. It's not the fault of the C/R or the T/O -- that's not my point -- it's just a counterintuitive system, and it's flawed. The average rider isn't paying attention like most of us on the forum do, so they'll transfer to the express, which should save them time...the fact that it doesn't isn't right.

Archived