So called "Express" Runs

Juelz4309

I think the general point is not that the express runs are bad, but that people are too eager to wait extra time for an express. I really can't remember the last time that I've seen an express train (which left at the same time as the local) that actually went slower. Generally, if I see an express train across the platform, and I'm going to an express stop, I'll switch to the express. I think it's hard to go wrong with that, with a few exceptions (such as homeball alley).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of those riders who doesn't want to sit through a train make a bunch of stops. If I have a pick of express versus local, i'm taking express unless I have found the given express to be consistently slow. As I have mentioned before my regular commute is from Pelham Bay Park to 23rd Street on the (6) line. The last thing I want to do is sit through the <6> making every stop in between 125th and 23rd. I'll think the train is moving slow even if it isn't. This is why when it gets to 125, i'm looking to get on a (4)(5) to Grand Central at which point I get back on the (6). Even when the express crawls in between stops it feels like it's going faster because it makes less stops.

There are many many factors which go into scheduling, and you can't have a scheduled connection at EVERY station for EVERY run. My experience working the 1 on Sunday evenings this pick is that it is very very rare for an express train to overcome my local (and on my third trip, it's a non-issue as the 2 is running local and the 3 is turning at Times Sq), but I still get plenty of passengers who think it's rush hour and jump around in a panic over the possibility of shaving a minute or two off their commute.

There's nothing WRONG with the local beating the express. Heck, after 9PM, the 7 local consistently beats its 7 express follower to Main St, because the line is on 5 minute headways - sure, we could have the local leave at 2100 and then have the express leave at 2103 and it would probably overtake the local before Junction, but then there would be a 7 minute gap with NO service until the next local departed at 2110. The priority is providing consistent service that helps the most passengers, not making sure that the express saves YOU time over taking the local. If you're afraid to ride the local, nobody's gonna stop you from waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the next express, but you were better off staying on your first train if you really wanted to get to your destination first......

And in some cases, when the countdown clock and announcements says that an express train is appraoaching the station, it's actually sitting 100 feet outside the station at a red signal. So unless you actually see the train, it's silly to jump off the local.

Archived