Do you hate when..

SomeGuy

As a bus operator these are a few of the MANY things I hate...

I hate when i approach a bus stop that serves more than 1 line and people are there waiting. I stop and open the doors and they just stare at me because they dont want my bus. You could have gave me some sort of indication so I didnt have to stop and waste time.

I hate when i'm about to pull out of a stop and either someone on the bus or someone outside yells "wait somebody's coming", and that person is 100feet away. Now I look like a real jerk if i leave.

I hate when i'm about to leave and a car has the nerve to block me in so someone can catch my bus. Then that person takes their sweet time to get out with all their bags. I just close the door and as soon as the car moves, I move! Most of the time the person gets back in the car and chases me to the next stop. The passenger always gives me a dirty look lol. But instead of blocking me in and holding the bus up, you should have dropped them off at the next stop in the first place, but that would make too much sense. Then you have those cars that are already at the stop when you arrive blocking the bus stop. The passenger sits in the car till you get there and then decides to finally get out. As soon as you're about to double park because the car is in the way, he starts to pull off.

I hate when the first person on the line who has been waiting the longest, doesnt have his fare ready when he boards.

I hate it when people sit in the front and have loud conversations with each other, on phones, or have annoying loud/crying kids....and you have to deal with it the entire trip.

I hate when people dip their empty or invalid card, pull it out and quickly walk to the back as if you didnt notice.

I hate when people but their fare in and then stare at you instead of asking for a transfer. Or they put $1.25 and put their hand to signal that they want one.

I hate when people come on the bus with 10 year old kids and only pay for themselves

I hate when im on the south bound Q44 with a Flushing Main St Sta sign up and people ask me if im going to Jamaica. Then when i get to Main St/39ave and say last stop, they are all confused, shocked, and pissed. To top that off, the people waiting at the stop still try to get on!

I hate when im leaving a stop and people are running for me as I pull out despite the fact that the next bus is literally right behind me.

I hate it when I wait for a runner, they get on and ask me if im going to a destination in the opposite direction, or one that the bus doesnt go to at all. Or people I wait for that dont say thank you. Also when you wait for someone and they take their sweet time looking for the fare. Saying things like "im out of breath" or "I almost missed you". Another thing is when I wait for a runner, while that person is boarding, 5 more people show up. Im like F***!!! I should have left when I had the chance!

As mentioned, I hate when people ring the bell and then nobody gets off. I look in the mirror and everyone is sitting in awkward silence while I look at them. So sometimes I just sit there for about 10 seconds and stare at them before i close the doors and move. Also when they wait till im 50 ft from the stop doing 20mph to press the bell. Then get mad when i pass it by.

I hate when someone asks me to let them know when they get to a certain stop then go sit in the back. I announce the stop, they dont get up. Of course I hardly remember what they looked like. Then 10 min later they come to the front and ask if we are almost there. Or every other stop they ask if we are there yet

I hate when people put in insufficient fare then ask how much they owe. Calcule it yourself or keep adding coins till you get to $2.25. I dont feel like doing math!

Lastly(for now), I hate when passengers ask me how long or how many stops until we get to a certain place. I dont have that programmed into my brain.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when i'm about to leave and a car has the nerve to block me in so someone can catch my bus. Then that person takes their sweet time to get out with all their bags. I just close the door and as soon as the car moves, I move! Most of the time the person gets back in the car and chases me to the next stop. The passenger always gives me a dirty look lol. But instead of blocking me in and holding the bus up, you should have dropped them off at the next stop in the first place, but that would make too much sense. Then you have those cars that are already at the stop when you arrive blocking the bus stop. The passenger sits in the car till you get there and then decides to finally get out. As soon as you're about to double park because the car is in the way, he starts to pull off.

That's just being a complete dick. Even though the other person is in the wrong, just let them on the bus and that's the end of it, but instead you want to try to be some tough macho guy and piss them off. You're just trying to set them off and start some confrontation. Your "cool" move also delays you and everyone else on the bus because instead of taking an extra 15 seconds to let the guy on the bus, you force him to go to the next stop, and if nobody's there then that's just extra stopping time.

That's just being a complete dick. Even though the other person is in the wrong, just let them on the bus and that's the end of it, but instead you want to try to be some tough macho guy and piss them off. You're just trying to set them off and start some confrontation. Your "cool" move also delays you and everyone else on the bus because instead of taking an extra 15 seconds to let the guy on the bus, you force him to go to the next stop, and if nobody's there then that's just extra stopping time.

If you say so. So I should just let people block me in so someone can catch my bus. If you make it out the car before the last person boards, fine. Otherwise you're not gettin on. Its not a "cool" or macho move. Its about you thinking you have the right to hold up a bus about to leave its stop. And they usually dont say anything when they catch me because they know they were wrong in the first place. And there is no extra stopping time because ill bypass the next stop before they can get out of the car! But thanks for your opinion. I'll just stick to doing what I do

The fucck outta here. I'm with YoungFoch 100% - I don't stop for me people who purposely block me in to catch my bus. Listen, the motto is: you wait for me, I don't wait for you. The common sense thing to do is, take the person to a bus stop ahead of where the bus is currently at, so you don't "purposely" block me in. That shit is pet peeve.

I also leave your ass if you decide to jump in front of my bus just to catch me.

I refuse to pick anyone up who threatens my job or their life whatsoever. Kiss my ass.

I also leave your ass if you decide to jump in front of my bus just to catch me.

I refuse to pick anyone up who threatens my job or their life whatsoever. Kiss my ass.

Preach, brother, preach.

Too many ops letting people drop themselves in front, slows everybody down. You wait, you ride. You hold everybody else up, well, now you gonna hold yourself up...

Of course hence why I moved...

If I had a hot girl sitting next to me... I ain't movin'

I also hate when people don't move to the back.. especially on those LFAs and all the Orion 7s... The front is all jammed and packed and the back has like no standees... See it on the Q5 and Q85 all the time

On D60HF's people have a problem with moving to the back (and it's a high floor). There is also an exiting problem on the D60's, especially when the bus is jammed.

Man, that's F-ed up.

It's true...

They have Access-A-Ride. I think, since they are taking up 3 times the amount of space, they should pay 3 times the fare. It's only fair, right?

Now that's f***ed up! If you were disabled you would change your mind.

Don't you hate it when:

The fatso spanish 20 year old mom, with 7 kids get on the bus without her fat kids paying (the B/O smiles) and the fat family takes up half the space in the bus (or they take up like 500 seats.)

Don't you hate it when:

The fatso spanish 20 year old mom, with 7 kids get on the bus without her fat kids paying (the B/O smiles) and the fat family takes up half the space in the bus (or they take up like 500 seats.)

I'm going to ignore your judgement regarding ethnicity and age, and say I hate that crap people pull. I always pay for my younger brothers and it annoys me to see people walking in with their young sons, daughters, or siblings acting as if they own the damn bus. Even worse when said kids don't know how to act civilized in a social setting. Talk all you want, but don't f-king yell across the bus when there is 50 other people around you.

I have another, how about when the guardian of a child or children get all bitchy when the B/O tells them to fold up the kids' stroller. I'm like, did you expect that you were entitled to take up all the aisle/seat space. Others have to get on to.

And not really a peeve, but an observation. Seniors that have trouble boarding and alighting low floors. Makes you wonder how did the pervious generation made due with high floors.

Of course hence why I moved...

I agree it would be very annoying when you have a strange woman who looked like she just got out of bed and probably didn't even brush her teeth yet, sitting next to you when there are other seats, breathing heavily while looking directly at you like you're a pork chop. Then when you get up and stand or sit somewhere else she keeps on looking at you......

When I was still in school I was dating this girl, we were on the 6 train where this man keeps on staring at her. Real talk - I went up to him and told him you look at my f--king girl one more time like that I'll slap your ass off the train on the next stop. Funny thing he started talking about how he thought my girl was "the prettiest Asian woman he ever saw ..." This is why people has to be careful with weirdos lurking around in public places, they know no boundaries. On the bus or train is no exception. I think that's why I would have been annoyed too like VG8 with stalkers or people sitting next to you displaying odd behavior. I've been stalked before and it wasn't a pickpocket....

When I was still in school I was dating this girl, we were on the 6 train where this man keeps on staring at her. Real talk - I went up to him and told him you look at my f--king girl one more time like that I'll slap your ass off the train on the next stop. Funny thing he started talking about how he thought my girl was "the prettiest Asian woman he ever saw ..." This is why people has to be careful with weirdos lurking around in public places, they know no boundaries. On the bus or train is no exception. I think that's why I would have been annoyed too like VG8 with stalkers or people sitting next to you displaying odd behavior. I've been stalked before and it wasn't a pickpocket....

Pah, you're lucky you haven't been walking down on Christopher street! This one time I'm with me and my buddy and this chick who at the time I had a bit of a thing for, and this dude just starts staring and staring at her. Now, I'm trying to figure out if I should say something to this guy, cause it's getting strange. He follows for a couple blocks and he's definitely making her uncomfortable. He keeps staring and staring and then it dawns on me...he's not checking her out, he's checking out my buddy. Didn't say anything after that cause I was laughing too hard, sure enough he wasn't checking out her rear but his. Gotta love Greenwich Village...

/offtopic, don't kill me mods

Pah, you're lucky you haven't been walking down on Christopher street! This one time I'm with me and my buddy and this chick who at the time I had a bit of a thing for, and this dude just starts staring and staring at her. Now, I'm trying to figure out if I should say something to this guy, cause it's getting strange. He follows for a couple blocks and he's definitely making her uncomfortable. He keeps staring and staring and then it dawns on me...he's not checking her out, he's checking out my buddy. Didn't say anything after that cause I was laughing too hard, sure enough he wasn't checking out her rear but his. Gotta love Greenwich Village...

/offtopic, don't kill me mods

delete

I hate when i approach a bus stop that serves more than 1 line and people are there waiting. I stop and open the doors and they just stare at me because they dont want my bus. You could have gave me some sort of indication so I didnt have to stop and waste time.

I hate when i'm about to pull out of a stop and either someone on the bus or someone outside yells "wait somebody's coming", and that person is 100feet away. Now I look like a real jerk if i leave.

I hate when the first person on the line who has been waiting the longest, doesnt have his fare ready when he boards.

I hate it when people sit in the front and have loud conversations with each other, on phones, or have annoying loud/crying kids....and you have to deal with it the entire trip.

I hate when people dip their empty or invalid card, pull it out and quickly walk to the back as if you didnt notice.

I hate when people but their fare in and then stare at you instead of asking for a transfer. Or they put $1.25 and put their hand to signal that they want one.

I hate when people come on the bus with 10 year old kids and only pay for themselves

I hate when im on the south bound Q44 with a Flushing Main St Sta sign up and people ask me if im going to Jamaica. Then when i get to Main St/39ave and say last stop, they are all confused, shocked, and pissed. To top that off, the people waiting at the stop still try to get on!

I hate when im leaving a stop and people are running for me as I pull out despite the fact that the next bus is literally right behind me.

I hate it when I wait for a runner, they get on and ask me if im going to a destination in the opposite direction, or one that the bus doesnt go to at all. Or people I wait for that dont say thank you. Also when you wait for someone and they take their sweet time looking for the fare. Saying things like "im out of breath" or "I almost missed you". Another thing is when I wait for a runner, while that person is boarding, 5 more people show up. Im like F***!!! I should have left when I had the chance!

As mentioned, I hate when people ring the bell and then nobody gets off. I look in the mirror and everyone is sitting in awkward silence while I look at them. So sometimes I just sit there for about 10 seconds and stare at them before i close the doors and move. Also when they wait till im 50 ft from the stop doing 20mph to press the bell. Then get mad when i pass it by.

I hate when someone asks me to let them know when they get to a certain stop then go sit in the back. I announce the stop, they dont get up. Of course I hardly remember what they looked like. Then 10 min later they come to the front and ask if we are almost there. Or every other stop they ask if we are there yet

I hate when people put in insufficient fare then ask how much they owe. Calcule it yourself or keep adding coins till you get to $2.25. I dont feel like doing math!

Lastly(for now), I hate when passengers ask me how long or how many stops until we get to a certain place. I dont have that programmed into my brain.

Me as an operator, I agree with ALL of this!!!!! IDK what it is with people thinking they have the right to do whatever they wanna do to catch a bus, even if it means holding up everyone else who PROPERLY waited for the bus in the first place. Sadly, I blame other operators for this because they cater to it. When you get an operator who does what they are supposed to do, you are now the bad guy. Keep doing what you do my man, I am with you all the way.

I'm going to ignore your judgement regarding ethnicity and age, and say I hate that crap people pull. I always pay for my younger brothers and it annoys me to see people walking in with their young sons, daughters, or siblings acting as if they own the damn bus. Even worse when said kids don't know how to act civilized in a social setting. Talk all you want, but don't f-king yell across the bus when there is 50 other people around you.

If you pay... your fine

I have another, how about when the guardian of a child or children get all bitchy when the B/O tells them to fold up the kids' stroller. I'm like, did you expect that you were entitled to take up all the aisle/seat space. Others have to get on to.

And not really a peeve, but an observation. Seniors that have trouble boarding and alighting low floors. Makes you wonder how did the pervious generation made due with high floors.

Makes sense. I totally agree.

What irritates me is when they leave strollers in the middle of the aisle with the little boogers climbing on the seats to catch a busfan window (or railfan window, subway riders are not exempt from this torture) drooling and crawling on you, dirtying your pants with their shoes, screaming and hollering. The thing that really gets me is when the mother does absolutely NOTHING about it to instill some order here with her children. Talk about a deadly mixture of stupidity along with false entitlement. No I am not smiling woman its not funny, no that is not cute and neither are you, no this is NOT your living room at home it is a public space and no I don't want anything to do with your litter of babies either, please spare me. Thank you for listening to my rant.

I hate when im late and per dispatch i have up "Next Bus Please" to get me back in place. I still have to drop off so I get to a stop and people waiting still attempt to get on. Do you not know what next bus please means? Yesterday my relief was about 10 min late so the dispatcher told me to put up NBP and my follower was right behind me anyway. Every stop that I dropped off, people attempted to get on and I had to tell them no. At one of them, the departing passenger was exiting thru the middle door on the LFSA so i pulled all the way to the pole which was about 15 ft ahead of where the guy waiting outside was. I only opened the back doors since no one was exiting thru the front. The guy waiting still ran up and knocked on the door several times, even as i was pulling off. Some of you non operators might think im being a jerk but next bus please means exactly what it says....also sometimes when you have that sign up and fly by a stop, people waiting still try to flag you down, waving frantically.

I hate when someone gets on and steps in to look for change. Then they wait until I start moving to stumble up to the farebox and put in their change and even ask for a transfer. This especially annoys me when im making a right turn. The passenger is now blocking my view of the right side mirror and any pedestrians that may be entering the crosswalk. You werent in a rush to pay as you entered the bus so why cant you wait until i get to the next bus stop or red light.

I hate when people wait in the stop with babies in the stroller, and even when they see you at the red light before the stop, the baby stays in the stroller until you get there. Then they take their sweet time taking the kid out and folding the stroller. Or they bring the baby on inside the stroller so you have to wait for them to take him out on board. Most of the time they take even longer to do this since they dont seem to realize you are waiting for them before you move. Also halfway before you get to their destination, you notice the baby is back in the stroller! So you have to ask them again to take him out

I hate when farebeaters ask "can i get a ride" or say "i dont have a metrocard can i get on" loudly enough for the entire front to hear. The whole bus doesnt have to know that im letting you ride! Now the other passengers are thinking A)I paid my fare and this guy is letting people ride just because they asked, or B)Next time i ride his bus im not paying either! On top of that the farebeater doesnt even say thanks when he exits the front

As I was going home last night on the 44 hawk, this guy is waiting at Emmons Ave & Nostrand Ave (first stop in Sheepshead Bay), and as the bus is approaching, he was sitting down the entire time; he boards, and then goes through his bag for change, like "motherfuccker, you were sitting down the whole time waiting for the bus, and now you start looking for change?" Mind you, the headway is every hour on the hour after 12am on the weekends. He finally got his change together 5 mins into trip.

It's incredible how common sense is not so common these days.

Another thing I forgot to add is when you're approaching a stop and someone is walking in the vicinity but facing the same direction as traffic so that his back is to you. As soon as you are passing he turns and waves to you. This happened to me last night. A lady was walking with her back to me and all of a sudden she turns and waves...shes lucky she had a baby in her arms or i would have kept going. I stopped in the away from the curb and passed the pole to let her on, damn near slamming the brakes. Not even a thank you upon entering or exiting. This is why it never pays to be nice. People walking on the sidewalk assume that you know they want your bus through telepathy. Then of course there's those who hide then suddenly dart out and wave as you're passing.

Also when you and your leader is at a stop picking up and no one is getting off your bus so u go to pass by. But people see you and go to behind the other bus to flag you down. The other bus is not full and there are seats available so just get on that one and stop trying to be picky of which bus you take. This happened the other day. We both had artics and it was at the 3rd stop that I caught him so he was no where close to having standees. I just went right by the wavers. Theres no need for 2 buses to pick up at the same stop if the first one isnt full. All its going to do is slow both of us down since I could be at the next stop picking up so that he doesnt have to when he gets there

I remember reading a newspaper article where a mother was b*tching about the rule that people with strollers are expected to fold them up. :(:rolleyes:

A bus operator told me the following - "they didn't . They were marginalized,institutionalized, and otherwise swept under the rug .

People refer to them as the 'good ol' days'. In many, many ways, I fail to see what was so good about them."

What irritates me is when they leave strollers in the middle of the aisle with the little boogers climbing on the seats to catch a busfan window (or railfan window, subway riders are not exempt from this torture) drooling and crawling on you, dirtying your pants with their shoes, screaming and hollering. The thing that really gets me is when the mother does absolutely NOTHING about it to instill some order here with her children. Talk about a deadly mixture of stupidity along with false entitlement. No I am not smiling woman its not funny, no that is not cute and neither are you, no this is NOT your living room at home it is a public space and no I don't want anything to do with your litter of babies either, please spare me. Thank you for listening to my rant.

I don't mind if kids take the fanning window. Actually, it kinda reminds me when I was a kid. Regarding unruly kids, I'm honest with them, and will usually hint to them that they're annoying, but not directly. I recall a few years back some kid (around three or four years old I would say) was standing on the seats across from me. I explained that his shoes were tracking dirt on the seats, and asked him if he would like to get his clothes dirty from a dirty seat. He replied no and I asked him if he could stop and he did. Not ten seconds later the bus brakes hard, told him that could have been you on the floor had you not sat down. Thing I hate was his mother was silent the entire time.

Archived